Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 22,662 times

Advertisements

I will be transferring to UC Berkeley this Fall and I have an opportunity to live in the city with my friend (going SFSU); I have not commited to anything. We have just been throwing around the idea. The main worry that I have is the commute from S.F. to UC Berkeley. There is the Bart, it is expensive ($7.30 round trip, roughly $140-170/Month), which would take a large chunk out of my funds, but it's faster. Then there's the Transbay "F" Line, which I can ride for free, but is a longer commute. Furthermore, the commute time could be longer if there is traffic/accident/etc.

I would like use the AC Transit Transbay because it is free, so I'm wondering how the commute is? How long does it usually take (with and without traffic)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 AM

19 posts, read 62,447 times
It really depends upon where you are living in San Francisco. You can use 511.org to plan a mock trip to see how long it would take to get to Berkeley from where you live in San Francisco.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 22,662 times
I'm looking in the areas of: Hayes Valley, Downtown, Soma, Nob Hill and lower Nob Hill, and other local districts.

I guess my main question is - Is Transbay line reliable? or can/does it take longer then what they est. the time will be?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
Its pretty reliable and follows its schedule for the most part, its just a long trip compared to BART. I knew a couple students who biked to transbay and then took it over to campus.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM

227 posts, read 538,353 times
The transbay F line is reliable, especially in the reverse commute direction. However, getting "to" the Transbay terminal via Muni might be a different story. When I'm in the City and catching a bus home, the closer I am to being able to walk to the Terminal, the more likely I'll catch the bus back to the East Bay.

But since you have a Class Pass, your best bet will still be to work out something to catch the F to campus.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
The Transbay buses get onto the bridge at the very last onramp, avoiding the backups, and they use special lanes to get through the toll plaza. I did a test run on one to get to the Laurel district of Oakland once and it took 15 minutes.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Just the transbay route is 40 minutes one way, figure at least 10-15 min. to get to the terminal if you live in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned; twice a day. It'll get old quickly. If you're studying full time and $150/month is a big chunk of your budget, your opportunities to enjoy the city will be limited, most days you'll be coming home to rest and study. Also, you'll be missing out on a big part of university social life by living off campus.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, regardless of how reliable the F line is. (unless that friend is a fiancee ...)

Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Just the transbay route is 40 minutes one way, figure at least 10-15 min. to get to the terminal if you live in any of the neighborhoods you mentioned; twice a day. It'll get old quickly. If you're studying full time and $150/month is a big chunk of your budget, your opportunities to enjoy the city will be limited, most days you'll be coming home to rest and study. Also, you'll be missing out on a big part of university social life by living off campus.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, regardless of how reliable the F line is. (unless that friend is a fiancee ...)
I agree with this. Even if it was free, 2-ish hours a day is still a big chunk (unless you are one of those people who can study efficiently on moving vehicles.) There's plenty of things to do in Berkeley, and of course if you lived there you could go into the city anytime you want.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 15,984 times
You might also want to take your class schedule into consideration. Most people have a spread-out schedule, so you'll probably end up with 3-4 hours downtime before your next class. I don't know whether you want to make your trips to Berkeley a full-day affair, as personally I'd find it a tiring to be out and about all day without a place to put down my stuff and relax. Plus during the winter and long periods of rainy days, the commute could be pretty dreary. Just my two cents.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 380united View Post
I will be transferring to UC Berkeley this Fall and I have an opportunity to live in the city with my friend (going SFSU); I have not commited to anything. We have just been throwing around the idea. The main worry that I have is the commute from S.F. to UC Berkeley. There is the Bart, it is expensive ($7.30 round trip, roughly $140-170/Month), which would take a large chunk out of my funds, but it's faster. Then there's the Transbay "F" Line, which I can ride for free, but is a longer commute. Furthermore, the commute time could be longer if there is traffic/accident/etc.

I would like use the AC Transit Transbay because it is free, so I'm wondering how the commute is? How long does it usually take (with and without traffic)?
Bart has no student passes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland