U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,661 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to several places after I graduate with my MSW. Those places include, San Francisco, Raleigh, and DC (MD,VA) area.

I am a 27, single, hetero, black, female. I am looking for a diverse culture including nightlife, museums, arts, music venues, theater, etc. I am also looking for good job prospects( I have experience in hospital social work, child welfare, mental health, and administrative non-profit type work). A place where there are a decent amount of other singles, good public transportation, nice scenery, people who are community focused and more liberal leaning.

I would also like a place where there is a decent amount of other black singles for dating and spending time with. Although I am not opposed to inter-racial dating and have friends of every race, I tend to feel isolated if no one else around looks like me or can relate to my experiences.

In NC I am involved in groups like Equality NC, National Organization for Women, NAACP. I am very open minded. I enjoy yoga, kickboxing, coffee, wine tastings, good art, poetry slams, music in the park. I am also recently getting more involved in hiking, rafting, camping and things like that.

Being a social worker I will likely not make over $50,000 starting out with my Masters Degree so I def want to be somewhere affordable. I don't want to be in a great city that is too unaffordable for me to enjoy. I want to live somewhere great and that has all of those amenities mentioned above, but still have money left over for savings, weekend getaways, a couple longer vacations a year, shopping, etc.

Based on all of those criteria, is San Francisco a contender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,792,711 times
In this economy I strongly suggest you stay put. But if you have to I would strongly suggest DC it has all that you are seeking and at the moment has a better economy than CA/the bay area.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:28 PM

68 posts, read 119,378 times
Yep, San Francisco has everything single thing you're looking for and probably more. As long as you know how to manage your money you can afford to live here just like all the other upwardly-mobile young single people.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,581,369 times
Oakland or DC. SF has all the art etc but hardly any black people anymore. Oakland is really big on poetry , music etc also. SF is nice to go into for shows etc but living there is too expensive and you'll wonder where are the blacks that are not stuck in the lower income parts of the city.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm black and I live in the City. I never find myself wondering "where the blacks are."

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunky View Post
I'm black and I live in the City. I never find myself wondering "where the blacks are."
She is specifically looking for an area with a nice sized black population. Maybe you weren't which is why you don't care, but SF does not have that anymore. Compare SF to DC,Oakland, Philly and other cities that have a nice population of professional, single blacks. You won't find much in SF.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM

2,895 posts, read 8,016,831 times
Yes to San Francisco!
It's a beautiful city.
It is expensive but if you can swing it, do it.
Come to the west coast.
It's a different world out here and it's not bogged down by the ghosts of the east and yet their is history in San Francisco that will feed your soul and your intellect.
And good people that still hold the ideals of the 50's, 60's and early 70's but who have moved them into the 21st century.
I love S.F. ... i get high when i'm up there ... good vibes and if i wanted to live in the city again, that's where i'd go.
And there's more room to move out here (west coast) ... psychically, physically, emotionally, etc.
Free yourself from the BosWash corridor and be happier.
Or if you're not already there (that stretch between Boston and Washington), avoid it.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

She said she was looking for "diverse culture" and a "decent amount of other black singles for dating and spending time with." SF definitely has that.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM

2,337 posts, read 3,072,652 times
If you need a large black population, SF might not be the place to go. However, while I'm not a black female, I'd like to think that in SF people don't really care about interracial relationships like that, so you shouldn't have much issue with that part.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunky View Post
She said she was looking for "diverse culture" and a "decent amount of other black singles for dating and spending time with." SF definitely has that.
If you consider that decent well then I don't know what to tell you. Fact is a 7% black population in a city with 800K is really low especially when looking for somebody worthwhile to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland