Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,008 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking of renting a property on Elm Street. Near the intersection with Monte Diablo. Could you tell me if this is a good area please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,860,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMatthew View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking of renting a property on Elm Street. Near the intersection with Monte Diablo. Could you tell me if this is a good area please?
It's a fine area. I live a few blocks away, walk down Elm very often (sometimes my wife and I go for walks to downtown Burlingame if we want something different, and we like to walk down Elm (and other side streets) vs. El Camino).

Nice thing about being on/near Monte Diablo is that you have a straight shot to the bay front (walk or easy bike ride).

Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM

901 posts, read 1,159,947 times
I live in San Mateo now. 3500 is not going to be easy to find anything (SFH) West of El Camino. That is OK. San Mateo is nice, it "seems" like a bargain compared to, say, San Carlos, let alone Menlo Park or Palo Alto, but it is actually very expensive. Overall it's a "fair" deal given a need to be in San Mateo or Santa Clara county-adjacent.

When we were looking to rent (early 2017) nothing close to 3500 had 3 real bedrooms or wasn't in a poor location (next to a busy road, near the freeway, ugly, badly dated, bizarre floor plan, etc.)

Sunnybrae is a decent neighborhood also. Hayward Park may be out of reach. Note that San Mateo Park, pretty as it is, feeds into a less-good elementary school.

Some of the earlier posts from very scared people thinking that the Shoreview of the '90s is the same as today are not up to date at all. It's not that bad, but it's a mostly treeless noisy area. But it's near the water, so you get that.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,860,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I live in San Mateo now. 3500 is not going to be easy to find anything (SFH) West of El Camino. That is OK. San Mateo is nice, it "seems" like a bargain compared to, say, San Carlos, let alone Menlo Park or Palo Alto, but it is actually very expensive. Overall it's a "fair" deal given a need to be in San Mateo or Santa Clara county-adjacent.

When we were looking to rent (early 2017) nothing close to 3500 had 3 real bedrooms or wasn't in a poor location (next to a busy road, near the freeway, ugly, badly dated, bizarre floor plan, etc.)

Sunnybrae is a decent neighborhood also. Hayward Park may be out of reach. Note that San Mateo Park, pretty as it is, feeds into a less-good elementary school.

Some of the earlier posts from very scared people thinking that the Shoreview of the '90s is the same as today are not up to date at all. It's not that bad, but it's a mostly treeless noisy area. But it's near the water, so you get that.
Nowhere is really a "good deal" on the peninsula anymore. Even rundown parts of the peninsula are very pricey (think: SSF, San Bruno, northern parts of Milbrae). San Mateo is only relatively "cheap" compared to Palo Alto/Menlo Park, San Carlos/Belmont, or Burlingame. But compared to the East Bay, or the rest of the country (LOL)...yeah, expect to pay a lot more.

For what it is worth, 2BR units in the building I live in go for well below 3k. And they're quite nice (nothing overly-extravagent, but certainly "nice"). And I'm on the west side of El Camino (barely, though ). Shh...don't tell too many people!

Not a SFH, yes...nor a 3BR...but you get a good amount for your money. Compromises, I know...

Keep in mind: OP is from 2009. This was necro-bumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland