U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 PM

165 posts, read 411,992 times

Advertisements

Ill be spending a week in midAugust primarily to help my lil bro settle for college which is Berkeley Univ.

Me and my mother are going to stay at a Marriott in Emeryville and wondering if it is safe since it is so close to Oakland.

I will be renting a car while there but wondering how easy it is to commute to SF and if there is public transportation options.

Let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM

108 posts, read 249,502 times
Good questions!

You are in luck- the area you've chosen to stay in is very safe and quite isolated from the crime ridden areas of Oakland you've heard about. I don't see you having any problems.

Commuting to SF from there is a straight shot on the transbay bus, directly fr
om Emervyille.

There's also a free shuttle bus operated by the city of Emeryville called Emery-go-round. This shuttle will take you to the BART station (MacArthur station). From there you can take BART north to Berkeley, or the other direction into San Francisco.

Emeryville is probably the best location you could've chosen because it is central to everything yet very safe.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Ill be spending a week in midAugust primarily to help my lil bro settle for college which is Berkeley Univ.

Me and my mother are going to stay at a Marriott in Emeryville and wondering if it is safe since it is so close to Oakland.

I will be renting a car while there but wondering how easy it is to commute to SF and if there is public transportation options.

Let me know. Thanks
Boy, I don't know... You're really rocking the boat by being THAT close to Oakland. Are you sure you don't want to stay in Hercules?

Obviously kidding. That's a safe area. When you go there, you'll laugh that you were ever worried about it. It's right at the Powell Street Plaza which is chock full of condos, shopping, IKEA, Borders, and I'm sure a few other nervous white people.

There are tons of public transit in the area and I recommend taking the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) over driving into SF ($4 dollar toll on the Bay Brdige as well as hassle/cost to park). Unless you know exactly where to go and you're going to do more than just touristy fisherman's warf area, I'd take BART.

BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit

As a final note, don't write off Oakland based on things you've heard. If I were to be completely honest with you, my two favorite areas in the Bay lie within Oakland's boundaries and not SF. Oakland has some dangerous areas but the entire city isn't some sort of third world, awful city. In fact, it's gorgeous and if i had to choose between living in the nicest area in SF and living in the Oakland Hills, I'd without thought choose Oakland.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
Delicious won-ton soup with chicken at Noodles, etc at the Marketplace. Best I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland