Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for info on Irish culture in SF. Are there any neighborhoods with a lot of Irish? Are there any Irish fests or anything like that? I feel like it's so easy to find the Irish culture here on the East Coast, and I guess I'm wondering if I'll be able to find that out West too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
The Sunset District is where many Irish families live..plenty of pubs to choose from (my old local favorite was Durty Nelly's) on Irving and for a quieter evening the "Little Shamrock". Many of the younger Irish can be found at the all the regular bars throughout the City... so I wouldn't pin the younger generation to living in a specific area or hanging out solely at the Irish pubs.

There's the usual Irish-American parade on St.Patrick's Day but nothing specifically Irish. There's a few rugby and Gaelic Football clubs and I'm pretty sure you can find hurling as well last I remember. The Kezar Club and sometimes "Ireland's 32" was well known for showing all the Irish sport live (VERY early on a Sunday morning). Best bet would be the smaller Irish pubs for meeting Irish.

The Irish cultural center is also in the Outer Sunset but not geared for the younger crowd at all..think older folks, 70's decor, horrible food. Great for meeting Santa Claus though!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Ditto. The Sunset.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM

Thanks guys!

I just read about the Crossroads Irish-American Festival. Anybody ever attend any of the functions? Is there usually a good turn out?

Last edited by xGrendelx; 08-18-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Unfortunately I've never heard of it...

My guess is if says it's an "Irish-American" function..you'll mostly meet just that, Irish-Americans and not so many Irish. Most of the Irish I know would rather go to the pub or watch a rugby match!

Is there something in particular that you are looking for? Men, music, dance, pub, film? What aspect of Irish culture are you concerned about losing/missing on the West Coast (I'm not at all familiar in what it's like there at all)

Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The Richmond has a pretty strong Irish presence, too. There's an Irish bakery on 20th and Geary, not to mention lots of Irish pubs. I think there are some cultural centers, too, and historically, at least, the neighborhood had a large Irish population. In more recent time I've heard Irish accents at the playgrounds and at the laundromat.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Is there something in particular that you are looking for? Men, music, dance, pub, film? What aspect of Irish culture are you concerned about losing/missing on the West Coast (I'm not at all familiar in what it's like there at all)
Nothing too specific, really. It's hard to explain, but there's many places on the East Coast where the Irish presence can be felt. Little neighborhoods with Irish markets, residents, get-togethers at pubs, etc. The culture is just alive in these places. I was wondering if there was a place/neighborhood in SF that was like that. I mean, I'm not really expecting anything like Boston's "Southie" or the many Irish 'hoods in NY, but I would like to be able to attend some Irish festivals/events while I'm out there. Something more than a parade on St. Patrick's Day, at least. I grew up in an Irish family and many of my friends' families are Irish, so I'm around it a lot. I'm moving to SF in a few months and I'd like to be able to continue to be around it if I can.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM

I think I know what you're talking about now. That is totally an East Coast thing! We don't really have that kind of thing here on the West Coast. The Irish-Americans in San Fran/Bay Area don't really congregate to one specific area or neighborhood like you might see over there. People are far less "clannish" and tend to mingle more outside of their individual neighborhoods/familiarities. Perhaps this is what gives California it's flaky/flighty reputation! There are tons of Irish immigrants but the Irish-American identity doesn't exist so heartily here and people tend to "disperse" around the Bay Area. Hope this helps a little!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

37 posts, read 87,578 times
yea we arent like the east coast in that everyone has to fit in a sort of "mold" ..like hey guys im irish so im going to drink beer and hang out with other irish and do irish things...nah

we intermingle in california ... thats true diversity. if you want ireland go to ireland..

i wouldnt go to Spain and ask "hey guise wheres the best place to grab a hot dog and celebrate american culture? Where do all the americans live?"

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Also, many of the Irish here are professionals and among them many are in high tech. Of course there are also working class folks as well, but it's a different vibe than back East. It's more of a modern day expat community type feeling.

The Gaelic football thing is a pretty big deal - scarily myself and Clongirl probably know some of the same people ... that's all I'll say, I am a stickler for internet privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland