Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nope, that would be Orange County, CA

Nowhere else in the world will you find more arrogant, snobby, shallow people (except maybe France)
I spent a week in Paris, was a work thing, meetings et al, and it is, hands down, the city I most enjoyed leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 AM

23 posts, read 59,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nope, that would be Orange County, CA

Nowhere else in the world will you find more arrogant, snobby, shallow people (except maybe France)
What? Have you actually been to France? I've lived in France for over 8 years and they are so not snobby nor shallow. They are warm and welcoming and very down-to-earth.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
...California for all extensive purposes ...
uh, you mean "for all intents and purposes".

Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemom3 View Post
uh, you mean "for all intents and purposes".
Uh no I don't.I meant extensive, which is a proper use of the word, especially when pertaining to agriculture. which was mentioned in part of the sentence you took out of context. Nice try.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extensive

Quote:
You have to remember Chicago was well established with wealthy industrialists while California for all extensive purposes was still giant cattle ranch. Older money out that way.
I suppose the was doesn't belong in there though.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 09-14-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Uh no I don't.I meant extensive, which is a proper use of the word, especially when pertaining to agriculture. which was mentioned in part of the sentence you took out of context. Nice try.

Extensive Definition | Definition of Extensive at Dictionary.com

I suppose the was doesn't belong in there though.
Way to go covering your a**! I don't really need a definition of 'extensive' and I imagine most people on here don't, but I can see that you're handy with that deflective move. You have to admit though that it sounds suspiciously like the very common expression "for all intents and purposes".

Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy97 View Post
The snobbiness I notice in SF has nothing to do with money... it has to do with how much better everyone is because they're "Democrats" or "liberals." Not saying I don't agree with some of the liberal agenda, but these jerks take it way too far. I was born in LA and raised by fairly conservative parents (borderline moderate), and I came up here and learned about the "liberal" ways... There are both good and bad you can take from both sides. Unfortunately, people in SF seem to want to show the bad part of liberalism... pretentiousness... attempts to APPEAR compassionate rather than actually BEING compassionate. They're always ready to pull some minority card out of their ass so they can prove how much more "open-minded" they are than you. It's so disgusting. You can't battle hate with hate, and that is something that SF residents have repeatedly failed to learn.
My sentiments as well

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Man almost every topic in this board people are posting in is from like 3 years ago. Necrophilia!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy97 View Post
The snobbiness I notice in SF has nothing to do with money... it has to do with how much better everyone is because they're "Democrats" or "liberals." Not saying I don't agree with some of the liberal agenda, but these jerks take it way too far. I was born in LA and raised by fairly conservative parents (borderline moderate), and I came up here and learned about the "liberal" ways... There are both good and bad you can take from both sides. Unfortunately, people in SF seem to want to show the bad part of liberalism... pretentiousness... attempts to APPEAR compassionate rather than actually BEING compassionate. They're always ready to pull some minority card out of their ass so they can prove how much more "open-minded" they are than you. It's so disgusting. You can't battle hate with hate, and that is something that SF residents have repeatedly failed to learn.
Excellent post! I agree!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,272,399 times
SF is nowhere near as snobby as a lot of places on the East Coast

See: Northern VA, the Hamptons, parts of Boston, Boca Raton, Upper East Side, etc

Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Default Possible relocation from Chicago.

I am a 40 year old liberal gay Black male that is in for a possible transfer to the Bay area by the end of the year.

Living in Chicago for the past 3 years (HydePark neighborhood for those that are familiar) I've fallen in love with the sophistication of the urban lifestyle. I would like to find a neighborhood with similar demographics of educated Black, Asian, Indian and White people and everyone else in between.

I don't know too much about transit/walkability of neighborhoods that I will feel comfortable in. I love shopping at organic grocery stores, live theater, and ethnic restaraunts. I will be working from home and going into the office in downtown maybe once a week. Unfortunately I will be bringing a car.

Some of my concerns include the cost of living (2k per month for housing is the max) and the lack of a large black middle class. (idk how big of an issue thats going to be since I love diversity) How are the local/state payroll, grocery and sales taxes for a person making just over 100k anually.

Please help me gather real information about the area. I would especially like to hear from other blacks that have relocated from the midwest and the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland