Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ya gotta admit, the best BBQ is right here in yours and my part of the country. I never really knew what good BBQ was when I lived in Ca.

On the other hand, try to get a really authentic Mexican meal here or any fresh seafood, you noticed I said seafood, not cat fish or frog legs. Neither are from the ocean.

Nita
Good point. I'm from Maryland and IMO, nowhere in California makes a real crab cake. And dungeness crab has nothing on blue crab

At the same time, the Mexican food in Maryland is absolutely horrible. Their idea of tacos is ground beef stuffed inside those taco bell-style shells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

166 posts, read 489,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Good point. I'm from Maryland and IMO, nowhere in California makes a real crab cake. And dungeness crab has nothing on blue crab

At the same time, the Mexican food in Maryland is absolutely horrible. Their idea of tacos is ground beef stuffed inside those taco bell-style shells.
i respectfully disagree about the dungeness vs blues, sir . both are equally tasty! Will admit though best 'crab shack' i ever ate at was in annapolis, maryland.

nmnita called it right, though, in that here in missouri we're lacking in the seafood department. the bluegill are nice, but i really miss fresh halibut, trout, salmon, crab, clams, rockfish, etc. bummer not to have a sushi place around the corner anymore also, ha ha. tuna out here only comes in a can.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
i respectfully disagree about the dungeness vs blues, sir . both are equally tasty! Will admit though best 'crab shack' i ever ate at was in annapolis, maryland.

nmnita called it right, though, in that here in missouri we're lacking in the seafood department. the bluegill are nice, but i really miss fresh halibut, trout, salmon, crab, clams, rockfish, etc. bummer not to have a sushi place around the corner anymore also, ha ha. tuna out here only comes in a can.
I love all good crab and agree both blue and dungeness are great. I will add one more thing, there is one frozen fish that we do enjoy: Salmon, no it isn't like fresh, but it does seem to hold its flavor a little better. The rest we have learned to live with, but not love.

Nita

Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
Come on - all big cosmo cities are what small town folk would call snobby. Ever been to Paris? NYC? London?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 AM

166 posts, read 489,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49ers View Post
Come on - all big cosmo cities are what small town folk would call snobby. Ever been to Paris? NYC? London?
c'mon...even big town folk would consider paris snobby, but that isn't necessarily because parisians truly are, but more because of a difference in culture and outside perception.

and what experience do you have in small towns, to presume that anyone from those areas consider 'cosmo cities' as 'snobby?' just curious.

being from los gatos, you should know what it's like being from a small town, kinda. it's pretty far removed from the sf or oc; if not geographically then socially or culturally it may be so far away as NYC, Paris or London.

and there is a difference between labeling an area as snobby as opposed to labeling its residents that way. sometimes they do fall in the same category though, as they do occasionally in comments regarding the cities/regions you've mentioned and which are also being debated in this forum.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
San Francisco may have a lot of Smug, but it can't beat Dallas for sheer snobbery.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
People like to say a certain city or place is snobby, but its just too much of a blanket statement.

I have met snobs from SF, but they were mostly "political snobs". Meaning they looked down on people they thought were less liberal than they were. But they were few. Ive also met a couple of snobs there who would look down on me because I was from LA. But again, that was far from the majority of the people.

People also mention the OC, but it really depends on the part. Northern OC is one of the least snobby places Ive been. I worked in Garden Grove for 2 years and the people there are some of the most chill in California (Huntington Beach, Westminster, Orange, Brea, Seal Beach, Santa Ana, Placentia, and Tustin are all chill). Maybe some of Southern OC might be that way, but certainly not the north. I personally think pound for pound, LA county is more snobbish.

Also theres alot of talk of Dallas being snobby. All the snobs must be on vacation here, because in the 3 months Ive lived here, Ive encountered friendly and down to earth people 90% of the time. I also go out alot in Uptown and to the Techno Clubs in Greenville and Deep Ellum. Most the people I have met are pretty chill.

So we can say one place is snobby, but in reality its just a blanket statment and its not true most of the time.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Life long San Franciscan here.

I feel being smug takes restraint, and I take it as a virtue. I don’t' brag about SF at all. I usually keep my mouth shut and let the others, usually transplants, go on and on about how great it is.
I am confident in what San Francisco has to offer, and usually offer slight criticism. - That's the typical San Franciscan. Perhaps this rubs people the wrong way.

Snobbery is pretty disgusting though. The NYC/DC regions take the cake on that one.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post

I feel being smug takes restraint, and I take it as a virtue. I don’t' brag about SF at all. I usually keep my mouth shut and let the others, usually transplants, go on and on about how great it is.
I am confident in what San Francisco has to offer, and usually offer slight criticism. - That's the typical San Franciscan. Perhaps this rubs people the wrong way.

Snobbery is pretty disgusting though. The NYC/DC regions take the cake on that one.
I fully agree on all accounts.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 PM

313 posts, read 676,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post

You think NY is more snobbish than SF? Are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland