Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The NYC/DC regions take the cake on that one.
I can't speak for NYC as I've never lived there, but there is indeed a high degree of snobbery here in DC. When you meet someone new in DC, invariably one of the first questions you will receive is "what do you do?" and "where did you go to school?" If your answers aren't correct, a virtually immediate judgment is passed. I'm originally from Ohio and I notice it a lot.

That being said, it's only a certain part of the population that does this. There are a lot of native Washingtonians who are from less-affluent parts of the region who don't exhibit this trait at all. Unfortunately, it's the areas uber-wealthy that attract the most attention. Which is likely true pretty much anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM

94 posts, read 213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I am confident in what San Francisco has to offer, and usually offer slight criticism. - That's the typical San Franciscan. Perhaps this rubs people the wrong way.
So is "rhymes with best coast" supposed to be just another smug phrase or is it supposed point out the irony that the coast that is certainly NOT the best happens to rhyme with "best"?

I say "most certainly not the best" because I have been on both coasts and there were ups and downs to both of them.

And I find it highly ironic that people on here are talking about how NOT smug they are yet they have names like "rhymes with best coast" and claim to have never made blanket statements before (as if they're way too above that to have ever done it)...

San Franciscans: JUST ADMIT YOU'RE HUMAN ALREADY! ALL HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES AND ALL HUMANS DO GOOD AND BAD THINGS! STOP ACTING LIKE YOU'RE ABOVE DOING ANYTHING BAD!!!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwebs95 View Post
So is "rhymes with best coast" supposed to be just another smug phrase or is it supposed point out the irony that the coast that is certainly NOT the best happens to rhyme with "best"?

I say "most certainly not the best" because I have been on both coasts and there were ups and downs to both of them.

And I find it highly ironic that people on here are talking about how NOT smug they are yet they have names like "rhymes with best coast" and claim to have never made blanket statements before (as if they're way too above that to have ever done it)...

San Franciscans: JUST ADMIT YOU'RE HUMAN ALREADY! ALL HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES AND ALL HUMANS DO GOOD AND BAD THINGS! STOP ACTING LIKE YOU'RE ABOVE DOING ANYTHING BAD!!!
So is "Spiderwebs" supposed to be a metaphor for how you're attempting to trap everyone on here in your web of negativity? Thank goodness you're on this forum. Such insight and so many quality contributions coming from you. I actually thought there were two of you who were equally unpleasant until I realized that you had just recently changed your ID.

I like how you're all over him for having an ID that is pro-CA (read SF since that is what seems to turn you automatically into the Grinch's wicked step mother), but I have yet to see you go after any other poster that has an ID promoting their region of the country. They're all over the place on this site. What prompts you to come irritate us with all your unpleasantness? Why don't you go to a forum with people you actually like? Or are you just an LA castaway that no one down there could stand either who came to the "utopia" known as SF in hopes of a fresh start, and now you're choosing to act like you're superior to us somehow by hanging around to talk down to us? I think much higher of the typical LA resident than that, so I'm sure you've got to be equally despicable to them.

Until you can learn to stop sucking at life, please go away. There is no one here who can benefit from your flaming attempts, and all you do is bring down the mood on here. But if you insist on imposing your presence on the rest of us, at least answer this: What is your purpose on a forum that has to do with a city/region you obviously have much disdain for? If it is for nothing more than to make your miserable self feel better by trying to bring us all down, its not really working. You're just making yourself look like a jerk. Just so you know.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
So is "Spiderwebs" supposed to be a metaphor for how you're attempting to trap everyone on here in your web of negativity? Thank goodness you're on this forum. Such insight and so many quality contributions coming from you. I actually thought there were two of you who were equally unpleasant until I realized that you had just recently changed your ID.

I like how you're all over him for having an ID that is pro-CA (read SF since that is what seems to turn you automatically into the Grinch's wicked step mother), but I have yet to see you go after any other poster that has an ID promoting their region of the country. They're all over the place on this site. What prompts you to come irritate us with all your unpleasantness? Why don't you go to a forum with people you actually like? Or are you just an LA castaway that no one down there could stand either who came to the "utopia" known as SF in hopes of a fresh start, and now you're choosing to act like you're superior to us somehow by hanging around to talk down to us? I think much higher of the typical LA resident than that, so I'm sure you've got to be equally despicable to them.

Until you can learn to stop sucking at life, please go away. There is no one here who can benefit from your flaming attempts, and all you do is bring down the mood on here. But if you insist on imposing your presence on the rest of us, at least answer this: What is your purpose on a forum that has to do with a city/region you obviously have much disdain for? If it is for nothing more than to make your miserable self feel better by trying to bring us all down, its not really working. You're just making yourself look like a jerk. Just so you know.
I think it's so funny how incredibly wrong you are yet you must be giving yourself a big pat on the back right now for thinking that you know everything about me and my life. I can't wait for later today...

I also think it's funny that you're so worked up over an internet forum. I come here to vent, partially; if you really think I'm like this all the time and do this in public, I'm sorry but... yea, no nice way to say that one. I am visiting LA with my boyfriend of 4 years and today he and I are going to the La Brea tar pits, the Chinese Mann, the El Capitan theatre, and to Beverly Hills to check out some giant houses. Then we are going to have some kind of dinner and hang out at my sister's house, you know, so we can sit around and trash-talk SF. Because that's all we do.

I'm not superior to you, just like you are not superior to me. And this is REALLY not the big deal you're sadly making it out to be. I made a blanket statement out of FRUSTRATION, and you got all gung ho about taking me out. I even explained that blanket statements are commonly accidentally made out of frustration and tried to tell you you've probably made one before ACCIDENTALLY to perhaps make you relate more, and you freaked out, again. I even pretty much said everyone was equal and that people suck everywhere and where you live depends on which kind of suckery you prefer, but OH NO, THAT'S NOT OK!!! Because SF is better, right? Calm down, Jesus H Christ.

Just stop talking to me. Or don't, I don't care, but I'm done with you. Just saying that you probably shouldn't bother as I'm just not going to respond. I know, I know, you're probably giving yourself another pat on the back because you think I'm giving up on you since I'm no match for you. VERY GOOD, jman, VERY GOOD. Would you like a trophy followed by a cookie too?

And Spiderwebs is a No Doubt song. Duh, newb.

P.S. It's so funny how long it took you to figure out I had switched names, LOL.

P.P.S. You do seem like a great guy, but you just need to work on a few flaws, AS DOES EVERYONE.

P.P.P.S. I came up here for my bachelor's degree in computer science, which I got in 4 years. Thanks <3

Last edited by Wendy97; 09-06-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM

A more accurate (because I'm going to calm down) of SF:

The jerks in SF are smug. However, it doesn't really show all that much all the time... it shows when you F up by doing something that might show you're "not socially aware" (like a racist joke or something, for comic effect, not because you're actually racist). Pretty much everyone in SF is nice to your face at first.

... Just like LA.

I'm not saying SF is a miserable city at all. Simply saying, SF has its own breed of *******, and that breed is smug, just like LA has its own breed of *******, and that breed is superficial. Both, from an unbiased point of view, suck equally and are equally good, people-wise. Anyone think LA residents walk around acting like they're better all the time because they're rich? Hell no! Just like people in SF don't walk around smelling their farts all the time!

Entertainment-wise, SF isn't all that exciting for me. I lived in LA County for 18 years and I've lived up here for 5, and LA is just WAY more exciting... there's just way more to do.

If I lived in Texas I'd be complaining about the people too. If I were still in LA I'd probably be complaining. It really doesn't matter where you put me, people are stupid and obnoxious everywhere (Stupid people seriously ruin my day, LOL). In this town they're obnoxious for this reason and in that town they're obnoxious for that reason.

And just so you know, I'm anticipating a response of IF STUPID PEOPLE RUIN YOUR DAY, HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF? Because that response is so clever and unpredictable.

Good article: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=69879

Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Oh, the other thing I like about nor cal is that the lifestyle fits me way more. I don't like the smugness, obviously, but the laid-backness is for me. LA, while entertaining, is a bit too busy for my style. I'd rather chill in my garage playing poker with friends than walk around the city... lots of people in LA county LOVE to travel to and hang out in LA the city, and I like to do that sometimes, but not enough.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
South OC and the South Bay of LA cannot compare to anywhere else in the world. South Bay people don't even leave the South Bay and think everywhere else is scary. A lot are racist, homophobic, and very conservative, so minorities, gays, and liberals are looked down upon. Most do not even want to leave LA for college because they think LA is the best place in the world even though they have never left SoCal.

When I said I want to move to NYC, people thought I was mentally retarded and tried to talk me out of it because they think subways are scary, snow comes from hell, and SFRs are the only appropriate ways to live.

Basically anyone who doesn't live in the coastal cities of the South Bay is looked down upon and is a social outcast seen as poor or less of a person.

Now multiply those feelings by 20 and you get South OC.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I can't speak for NYC as I've never lived there, but there is indeed a high degree of snobbery here in DC. When you meet someone new in DC, invariably one of the first questions you will receive is "what do you do?" and "where did you go to school?" If your answers aren't correct, a virtually immediate judgment is passed. I'm originally from Ohio and I notice it a lot.

That being said, it's only a certain part of the population that does this. There are a lot of native Washingtonians who are from less-affluent parts of the region who don't exhibit this trait at all. Unfortunately, it's the areas uber-wealthy that attract the most attention. Which is likely true pretty much anywhere.
you are right, it is everywhere. I think D.c. is a perfect example, we lived there for 7 years. I don't think it is worse than SFO, but it is as bad. Yes, you are right, it exists everywhere, but there certainly are some cities than display their snobbern more than others.

Nita

Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
South OC and the South Bay of LA cannot compare to anywhere else in the world. South Bay people don't even leave the South Bay and think everywhere else is scary. A lot are racist, homophobic, and very conservative, so minorities, gays, and liberals are looked down upon. Most do not even want to leave LA for college because they think LA is the best place in the world even though they have never left SoCal.

When I said I want to move to NYC, people thought I was mentally retarded and tried to talk me out of it because they think subways are scary, snow comes from hell, and SFRs are the only appropriate ways to live.

Basically anyone who doesn't live in the coastal cities of the South Bay is looked down upon and is a social outcast seen as poor or less of a person.

Now multiply those feelings by 20 and you get South OC.
I do not think people not leaving their comfort zone always is the same as snobby and as for not leaving to attend other universities, I have never found that the case anywhere in the L.A. area, not even O.C. we have a lot of friends who have kids that have gone out of state to college.

Nita

Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
You think NY is more snobbish than SF? Are you serious?
Trying to prove us right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland