Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 PM

543 posts, read 3,077,866 times

Advertisements

Do people ever wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts in SF? I read that it's always sweater-weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 PM

56 posts, read 250,127 times
Correct. Seems odd huh? Although in late september to early october it tends to heat up occasionally and freak people out.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM

36 posts, read 109,494 times
Kansoku....yes, SF does normally tend to be cool to downright chilly. Even in the middle of summer, you will need a light jacket on most nights. The cool temps are mostly due to SF's constant winds and the fog that rolls in off of the bay. SF is situated on a peninsula and the cooling effects of the bay and the Pacific can be felt pretty much all summer long. Don't expect to be visiting the beach too much during the summer! Having said all of that, at least once every summer, you will get two or three days of extremely hot weather. I remember one summer when it reached 104 degrees. If those winds shut off, then the temps soar. IMO, the best months weather-wise in SF are May, Sept, Oct, Nov and sometimes even most of December. Once the rains (torrential downpours) return, then the weather pretty much sucks until end of Feb or even the middle/end of March. Even in the dead of the monsoon season, you'll get a break and have a day or two of absolutely beautiful weather. However, it won't last. Also, spring comes really early to SF. A lot of years, it arrives by the beginning of March. The weather in SF is extremely variable. It's also quite temperate. It never gets very hot nor very cold. Just don't be expecting a tropical paradise. For most of the year, SF is clearly on the chilly side. Hope this helps!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,772,874 times
I love the chilly weather!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,051 times
I wear shorts and t-shirts a lot in SF, but then again I grew up in MN.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 AM

mdwstrnkid, good point. SF's climate, compared to most of the U.S., is a virtual paradise. When I first moved to SF, I couldn't believe how mild the winter was. I think I moved there in October of 97. I also was amazed at how early spring arrived. The hills were so green and beautiful after the winter rains. It reminded me of a scene from the Wizard of Oz. However, I never got used to not having a summer. I know most people who live in SF, don't miss nor would they want a typical eastern summer. I remember always being disappointed that the temps rarely got out of the 60's/70's. A lot of people, especially people from back east, imagine SF's climate to be identical to LA's or San Diego's. As you know, it's not. It's a wonderfully mild climate -- just not a shorts and t-shirts kind of climate. Just my two cents.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:27 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I always felt chilly in SF even in the summer when I lived & worked in the area.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 AM

11 posts, read 27,085 times
Are temps in the 60's really considered chilly to most? I personally love the San Fran weather - - not too hot (aside from a day or two a year) and not ever bone chilling cold. Depending on your perspective, some may call it chilly. I personally think its very temperate and refreshing, highs seem to average 65-75 and lows about 10-15 degrees cooler.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Spring and fall - little to no coastal stratus / minimal sea breeze = beach weather.
Summer - lots of coastal stratus and sea breeze (ironically, due to blazing furnace like heat inland drawing in air over 57 degree ocean) = sweater weather
Winter - during storms - sweater plus (rain gear or moderate jacket) weather, between storms, ranging between sweater weather and slightly warmer.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM

xyv1027....it's not the temps....it's the wind....the wind seems to pick-up almost every afternoon/evening. SF is also a city of micro-climates. One part of the city can be warm and pleasant, while another is enshrouded in fog. Also, the rains. There are years when the rains are over in 6-8 wks. There are other years where the continue for 3-4 months. We're not talking about a drizzle like up in Seattle! These are very strong storms which come off of the Pacific. They last anywhere from 2-5 days. In between you'll get 1 or 2 days of absolutely beautiful weather. Then another storm! The storm are accompanied by some wicked winds also! You're right, SF weather is extremely temperate. It never freezes. There are not wild temp swings. It also tends to grow on you. Just know, if you decide to move to SF, that there is no true summer, don't live in the Avenues (fog central), and you will never have a real summer again! May is simply a teaser -- the warm weather never arrives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland