Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM

18 posts, read 23,317 times

Advertisements

Is the area around MacAuthor and MLK good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM

74 posts, read 149,103 times
No, if you're new to town, I'd avoid that area. You could probably find some rentals near Piedmont Ave., which has a lot going on similar to Rockridge, but is more affordable.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 23,317 times
What about between San Pablo and Peralta around 32nd?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,279,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlee8 View Post
What about between San Pablo and Peralta around 32nd?
Not the greatest area but plenty of "artists" live there with no problems.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,279,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Living next to Oakland offers nothing to this arguement, save it shows your subjective bias. You look at crime statistics because it is a great way to measure the quality of life in Oakland vs other cities. People define Oakland as bad, because the vase majority of its neighborhoods are bad. The bad parts of Sf do not come close in quanity as they do in Oakland. Sure there are nice parts of Oakland, but those neigborhoods all have homes that are decked out to the maximum with home alarms, security systems, and car alarms. Residents in Oaklands nice neighborhoods know they are targets.

If you are signed up with the Tri Valley Herald Newspaper you can read this story about how Oakland hills residents dilligently leave valuables out of cars, keep everything locked up, and do not go for jogs or walk their dogs at night to avoid being strong arm robbed.

[SIZE=+1]Homicides affect everyone in Oakland -- even if they don't know it, experts and residents say[/SIZE]
Another anti Oakland troll. You're a coward, admit it. You know nothing of the town. All that talk about people in the nice area's having huge security systems etc. How would you know? What is Vase Majority of neighborhoods bad? What is Vase majority? Is that English. Your an idiot suburban nerd scared of your own shadow, stop acting like Oakland is Baghdad. I'm sick of you non residents using media sensationalize stats to justify your inbred beliefs. Go f**K yourself.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,209,476 times
Quote:
Living next to Oakland offers nothing to this arguement, save it shows your subjective bias. You look at crime statistics because it is a great way to measure the quality of life in Oakland vs other cities. People define Oakland as bad, because the vase majority of its neighborhoods are bad. The bad parts of Sf do not come close in quanity as they do in Oakland. Sure there are nice parts of Oakland, but those neigborhoods all have homes that are decked out to the maximum with home alarms, security systems, and car alarms. Residents in Oaklands nice neighborhoods know they are targets.

If you are signed up with the Tri Valley Herald Newspaper you can read this story about how Oakland hills residents dilligently leave valuables out of cars, keep everything locked up, and do not go for jogs or walk their dogs at night to avoid being strong arm robbed.

[SIZE=+1]Homicides affect everyone in Oakland -- even if they don't know it, experts and residents say[/SIZE]
So me living next Oakland my whole life gives me less knowledge of Oakland than someone from Chicago who went to Cal (which is in Berkeley...not Oakland) for 6 years? Give me a break.

Oh and just to let you know i've been in deep east Oakland and West Oakland. I've been in North Oakland. I've met nice people in these so called hell-holes. I am still alive, and have all of my appendages. Nothing bad ever happened to me (just the same as after i've been in Ghettos in SF, LA, SJ, SD, Vallejo, and Philadelphia...but then again i do know how to carry myself in bad areas. Maybe you'd have trouble with that, as you seem to be pretty scared). Have YOU ever been in the bad parts of east, north or west Oakland...or anywhere in Oakland for any length of time? Or at all? Your opinions tell me that you probably haven't. And it's not like the bad parts bring the entire city down anyways. Also, my gay, white, school teacher friend lives in a kinda sketchy part of East Oakland and the neighborhood kids are scared of HIM, because he yells at them like a crazy person whenever they act rowdy in front of his house, lmao.

No one is denying Oakland is bad in certain parts, and especially for certain demographics...but if you think you're taking your life into your hands by stepping across the city limits, you couldn't be more wrong. Grow a pair

oh, and people lock their cars and remove visible items, and are careful about jogging at night in basically EVERY big city. SF included. You think Oakland has a monopoly on this? I could give give you a huge list of crime that's happened in very nice SF neighborhoods...even pacific Heights, or Forest Hill (shootings, robberies...*cough* *cough*). But I don't want to ruin another city for you. You may never leave your house.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM

85 posts, read 202,431 times
Okay, there have been some great detailed recommendations like temescal and such, but IMHO avoid MLK for safety's sake. A lot can be learned about where you'd feel comfortable living in or around Oakland simply by driving around. Also, for rental sites, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from CL, but sites like rent.com have move-in discounts and forrent.com offers high quality apartments in general. IME, CL can be hit or miss.

Also, I have a friend who grew up here and somehow he is a Chiefs fan. Don't ask me how, but we always give him hell for it...in a good way. Though, he never had the guts to wear any of his jerseys to Raiders/Chiefs games at the Coliseum. I say it's just cuz he's a wuss (hee hee) but I'm a die hard Raiders fan, so I wouldn't know what it's like to walk around Oakland in any other team's gear anyway.

Love Oakland. Great weather for the most part, down-to-earth people, and though there may be more than average crime in some areas, I love the old-town type feel and respect for one another that you find more so in Oakland than in SF, IMO. idk how exactly to describe it, but I always feel more at home in Oakland than in SF.

Take it from the locals on the best places to check out. Also, without a car, you should still have some good public transportation options like AC Transit or maybe BART + bus, depending on where you end up. Again though, I'd come check it out first.

GO RAIDERS!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,452,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
So me living next Oakland my whole life gives me less knowledge of Oakland than someone from Chicago who went to Cal (which is in Berkeley...not Oakland) for 6 years? Give me a break.

Oh and just to let you know i've been in deep east Oakland and West Oakland. I've been in North Oakland. I've met nice people in these so called hell-holes. I am still alive, and have all of my appendages. Nothing bad ever happened to me (just the same as after i've been in Ghettos in SF, LA, SJ, SD, Vallejo, and Philadelphia...but then again i do know how to carry myself in bad areas. Maybe you'd have trouble with that, as you seem to be pretty scared). Have YOU ever been in the bad parts of east, north or west Oakland...or anywhere in Oakland for any length of time? Or at all? Your opinions tell me that you probably haven't. And it's not like the bad parts bring the entire city down anyways. Also, my gay, white, school teacher friend lives in a kinda sketchy part of East Oakland and the neighborhood kids are scared of HIM, because he yells at them like a crazy person whenever they act rowdy in front of his house, lmao.

No one is denying Oakland is bad in certain parts, and especially for certain demographics...but if you think you're taking your life into your hands by stepping across the city limits, you couldn't be more wrong. Grow a pair

oh, and people lock their cars and remove visible items, and are careful about jogging at night in basically EVERY big city. SF included. You think Oakland has a monopoly on this? I could give give you a huge list of crime that's happened in very nice SF neighborhoods...even pacific Heights, or Forest Hill (shootings, robberies...*cough* *cough*). But I don't want to ruin another city for you. You may never leave your house.
Lol.

The fear-mongering of Oakland is not necessary. It has a bad rep, and the crime there is a major issue, but it can also be a very livable place for many, many people. I've known people who are fed up and like "F--k Oakland" and want out, and I've known others who love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. Opinions vary greatly.

I think people should be well aware of the crime that exists there and be warned where they need to watch out, but half of Oakland is virtually crime-free and its downtown and surrounding neighborhoods (Uptown, Old Oakland, Jack London Square, Chinatown, etc.) are all pretty safe. The flatlands of the North, East and West are the areas I'd avoid, and even the places that border them too closely. But there's no need to fear Oakland. Richmond I'd say you should fear (and even it has its nice parts), but Oakland I'd just say to be careful and aware in.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,452,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlee8 View Post
Is the area around MacAuthor and MLK good?
Not to sound rude or anything, but I guess you don't listen to Chris Rock. A good rule of thumb is to avoid ANYWHERE where there is a street named MLK. The only exception I know of to this rule is in SF where that street is in Golden Gate Park rather than the hood.

MacArthur/MLK and Peralta/32nd are areas I would definitely avoid. West Oakland is improving a lot, but it still is the worst part of Oakland IMO. Of course my opinion is probably shaped by how bad I was used to the West being a few years back compared to parts of East Oakland where there is even more crime but I've had better personal experience.

I'd particularly avoid Ghost Town, which is along MLK between 27th and 37th (approx). MacArthur is closer to 40th, and the BART station right there is so-so. That intersection isn't particularly bad, but a few blocks away can get pretty rough.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM

438 posts, read 1,527,870 times
Quote:
I am from the midwest myself (Chicago) I personally would not recommend Oakland. Especially if you have or are planning to have children. I really wouldn't recommend Oakland to most single people to be frank.

Ahh... I knew you weren't originally from Northern CA when you called 17 "the 17". j/k

To the OP, I don't think Grand Ave near Lake Merritt or Piedmont is that bad....actually it's quite nice. And Emeryville aint so bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland