Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 PM

35 posts, read 158,900 times

Advertisements

Budget is about $600,000, though prefer to spend less. Would like at least a 3 bedroom, 2bath house. Thanks for everyone's input so far! Does Brisbane fit the criteria? Not sure about their schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
$600,000?

There are 21 single family homes in Menlo Park under $600,000.
There are 61 single family homes in San Mateo under $600,000
There are 57 single family homes in Redwood City under $600,000

check out realtor.com--you might save yourself the hassle of a terrible commute.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
$600,000?

There are 21 single family homes in Menlo Park under $600,000.
There are 61 single family homes in San Mateo under $600,000
There are 57 single family homes in Redwood City under $600,000

check out realtor.com--you might save yourself the hassle of a terrible commute.
Thank you for doing that search. I should mention that we prefer to spend more like I have looked at real estate listings in those areas of the Peninsula for some time, and I see houses in that range, but not in any areas with decent schools, and some are in pretty sketchy areas. There seems to be a great divide on the Peninsula - you get good schools with houses starting in the millions (or maybe the 800's for a fixer, or 2 bedroom), and then you have houses for $600,000 and under in areas with very low performing schools, and other problems.

When there are exceptions to this scenario and a house is $600,000 or under in an area with a good school, my observation is that there are bidding wars over this opportunity (I see the same happening in Alameda, though Alameda has less extreme prices).

That has been what I have seen so far, but if someone has a different experience, I would love to find out.

Last edited by leapfelt; 09-12-2009 at 09:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfelt View Post
Thank you for doing that search. I have looked at real estate listings in those areas of the Peninsula for some time, and I see houses in that range, but not in any areas with decent schools, and some are in pretty sketchy areas. There seems to be a great divide on the Peninsula - you get good schools with houses starting in the millions (or maybe the 800's for a fixer, or 2 bedroom), and then you have houses for $600,000 and under in areas with very low performing schools, and other problems.
Oh, I see.

Well here's a suggestion. Perhaps you can go to some of those low performing schools on the Peninsula and check them out for yourself. I say that only because while important, test scores don't really tell the whole story.

The school might have a high number of immigrants who don't speak english and that drags down average test scores. Just a thought.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM

18Montclair, that is a very good suggestion. Does anyone else who lives on the Peninsula have experience with any of the schools in that area which rank relatively low (700's and below)?

I am still apprehensive about putting my child in a lower performing schools because of our current budget situation. Not only does California rank almost at the bottom of all states in the United States for quality of education, but the state budget crisis has led to a proposed cutting of $5.3 billion from schools through next year -- in addition to an $8.6 billion cut announced in February. California already ranks near the bottom among states in per-pupil spending. It just makes the schools question even more tricky than it used to be.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
All I can say is this, I was educated in state that ranks about 30 out the 50 states. Moved to california as a teen to a state which is 46 out 50. The quality is significantly lower in regards to public education. What was considered an average track for a student in Illinois, is considered AP in California. To get the quality of education that you would in say an average middle class area out east, you are going to have to find a school that really scores about a 9 or a 10 in API rankings. Which is the top 20 percent of all schools. Schools that score 8 are in the top 30 percent and essentially the top third of all schools in the state. Personally I feel anything lower is pushing it in terms of quality of education.

Thats not to say your children can not succeed, but the best and most highly rated teachers and students tend to be in the higher ranking schools or private schools. I met plenty of students from lesser school districts in college who all succeeded like everyone else. But they had to over come adversity in their communities and some times were not as well perpared as their peers.

Test scores do not mean everything but I would definatly take them into account

Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Taking some of the previous comments into account, how is the commute from Castro Valley to Redwood City (versus Fremont)? I am not in love with the area, but the schools seem pretty good, prices are relatively reasonable, and it seems the same distance as fremont, which has been recommended. How would you compare/contrast living in Fremont (Niles area) versus living in Castro Valley?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Castro Valley would be 20 minutes longer in rush hour traffic to your commute than from Fremont. But it is a pretty nice community. There are times you can beat rush hour traffic but it just involves leaving earlier than the normal rush or later. Personally I have come to accept commutes, for the community I desire, I just make sure I got some good music or a radio show I like and I kick back. I like to drive. Castro Valley has different racial demographics than Fremont, but cost of living is roughly the same. The castro valley homes are worth about the same as similar ones in say the niles or mission san jose district. Schools are decent but there are better on the other side of the hill further away. Schools in Fremont tend to be really good as well I want to add.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Castro Valley would be 20 minutes longer in rush hour traffic to your commute than from Fremont. But it is a pretty nice community. There are times you can beat rush hour traffic but it just involves leaving earlier than the normal rush or later. Personally I have come to accept commutes, for the community I desire, I just make sure I got some good music or a radio show I like and I kick back. I like to drive. Castro Valley has different racial demographics than Fremont, but cost of living is roughly the same. The castro valley homes are worth about the same as similar ones in say the niles or mission san jose district. Schools are decent but there are better on the other side of the hill further away. Schools in Fremont tend to be really good as well I want to add.
NorCal Dude, when you say that there are better schools "on the other side of the hill", or you referring to Pleasanton?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think 1 hour is a decent expectation as far as drive time from Pleasanton to Redwood City. Keep in mind you have to go over a pass, then a busy connector which leads to 880(craziest drivers and very congested) and then over a bridge to another bottlneck on 101 in the Peninsula.

Basically 4-5 bottlenecks.

Fremont doesnt have a noteworthy downtown that I'm aware of. But I would prefer to be near the job and excellent schools and sacrifice the vibrant downtown for a nicer house. But then, I can do suburban living pretty well having learned how in Suburban Sacramento.

But that's me.
I agree. Fremont doesn't have any character but the shorter commute would win out for me. Plus, I like the cooler weather in Fremont as well (cool, but warmer than SF or Oakland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland