U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM

35 posts, read 96,940 times

Advertisements

As we continue our search for the best place to buy a house in the next 6 months to a year, Pleasanton and Livemore have caught my attention. We have determined that we cannot afford the Peninsula except for Pacifica, and are not thrilled about fog. Livermore is also of interest, though of course it is even further away. We have a child and want good schools, nice community, etc.

How is the commute from Pleasanton to Redwood City? Is the Pleasanton commute insane to the Peninsula, or doable? How about during potentially noncommute hours - such as leaving 7:00 am, and returning 7:30 pm? Also, what is the best route to take? Google maps says the drive takes 46 minutes (without traffic) Does anyone have experience with this commute?

The alternatives we were looking at are Alameda (so far, we find we get a VERY small house for our money), or Castro Valley (not as in love with the area, but maybe I don't know it well enough.). Any opinions welcome. We definitely want good schools.

Thanks!

Last edited by leapfelt; 09-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 PM

25,076 posts, read 32,487,487 times
Pleasanton isnt really cheap either and Livermore is a bit far out there-plus that's a very bad commute.

Fremont has excellent schools(better than most Peninsula towns at that) and its housing options are vast and varied and about 30% cheaper than across the Bay. Plus its right across the Dumbarton Bridge from the area you'll be working in.

My 2 cents.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Pleasanton isnt really cheap either and Livermore is a bit far out there-plus that's a very bad commute.

Fremont has excellent schools(better than most Peninsula towns at that) and its housing options are vast and varied and about 30% cheaper than across the Bay. Plus its right across the Dumbarton Bridge from the area you'll be working in.

My 2 cents.
Thanks for your reply, 18Monclair. Though Pleasanton isn't cheap, at least you generally get a larger house/yard for the same amount of money for a place in Alameda. I like the location of Fremont, but REALLY like a nice downtown, and haven't seen this in that area. Possibly the Niles area would be okay, though not convinced yet. Maybe there is some part of Fremont with character I have not seen yet...

Which brings me back to how long the commute actually takes from Pleasanton to Redwood City. Just want to know if we have to rule out that city based on the commute time. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 PM

25,076 posts, read 32,487,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfelt View Post
Thanks for your reply, 18Monclair. Though Pleasanton isn't cheap, at least you generally get a larger house/yard for the same amount of money for a place in Alameda. I like the location of Fremont, but REALLY like a nice downtown, and haven't seen this in that area. Possibly the Niles area would be okay, though not convinced yet. Maybe there is some part of Fremont with character I have not seen yet...

Which brings me back to how long the commute actually takes from Pleasanton to Redwood City. Just want to know if we have to rule out that city based on the commute time. Thanks!
I think 1 hour is a decent expectation as far as drive time from Pleasanton to Redwood City. Keep in mind you have to go over a pass, then a busy connector which leads to 880(craziest drivers and very congested) and then over a bridge to another bottlneck on 101 in the Peninsula.

Basically 4-5 bottlenecks.

Fremont doesnt have a noteworthy downtown that I'm aware of. But I would prefer to be near the job and excellent schools and sacrifice the vibrant downtown for a nicer house. But then, I can do suburban living pretty well having learned how in Suburban Sacramento.

But that's me.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks again for your perspective, 18Monclair. I am curious which areas of Fremont have the most character/charm (in addition to the Niles area). Maybe that would help motivate me to look more there

Also, is that estimate of one hour commute from Pleasanton to Redwood City during commute times, or noncommute times?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM

8,096 posts, read 9,998,066 times
I lived at the Pleasanton Residence Inn 6 months ago, since we were thinking about living there. I commuted to Moffett Field in Sunnyvale for a week, people said it would be 45 to an hour...but realize 45 mins is in nuclear bomb conditions (no cars)...I'd say 1hour 15 mins in rush hour, but if anything happens expect 1hour 30 mins. I went via bridge and no bridge...didn't matter, it is a long grueling commute.

At that point I decided there was no chance of living there, and I work from home 2-3 days out of the week! Too many bottlenecks, and too many accidents, not worth it.

I second buying in Fremont or rent on the Peninsula like the rest of us! From Fremont you could get to ALL of the nice Peninsula downtown's easily.

Last edited by Mach50; 09-11-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 AM

4,573 posts, read 4,639,280 times
Yea buying in Fremont our on the peninsula is a wiser choice. Fremonts schools are not too shabby and outside of the Irvington District most of the city is pretty tidy.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:32 AM

If Fremont was not an alternative, then what city would be another good option for buying a house, and why? Criteria is: good schools, commutable to Redwood City, East Bay prices rather than Peninsula prices for housing, and ideally some sense of community.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM

32 posts, read 72,519 times
What is your budget? Pleasanton is far and crossing a bridge is never advisable.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:03 PM

4,573 posts, read 4,639,280 times
Yea Fremont is about as cheap as it gets before you start getting into more sketchy areas. Good neighborhoods in Union City, Fremont, Pleasanton, Castro Valley....all similar prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland