U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM

126 posts, read 543,873 times

Advertisements

Just got back to LA from a trip to the Bay and I was reminded of this age-old debate. I lived in Sf for five years and then NYC and now LA, and I must say that I feel safer driving the streets of LA than Sf, even though LA drives much faster (I left the NYC driving to the cabbies). A friend of mine who lives in Oakland blames SF's infrastructure (narrow streets and highways, over-crowding, nonexistent signage, etc.), but I'm not totally convinced...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,837,113 times
Yes, you're right. The LA smog actually encourages the development of stronger genes within the human body that contribute towards superior driving ability.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM

15,468 posts, read 25,413,703 times
SoCal drivers are generally better than NorCal one's imo. Some of it may have to do with the infrastructure. I think the Bay Area's freeways overall are not as good as one's in metro LA and San Diego. They tend to be more curvy, use more asphalt compared to concrete, older, narrower, etc.. But it has better public transit so there is a trade off. There is more of a car culture in SoCal so maybe people drive more and are better at it b/c of that. I get frustrated with drivers up in the Bay Area more so than in Southern CA.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM

126 posts, read 543,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There is more of a car culture in SoCal so maybe people drive more and are better at it b/c of that.
That is an interesting point. I learned to drive as a 16-year-old in Los Angeles, although I left for San Francisco when I was 17, so I feel like I was trained there. Do most teens in San Francisco learn to drive at 16 or are most of them hopping onto public transit?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM

94 posts, read 192,198 times
Take it from someone who lives up here now and lived in LA until she was 18...

LA drivers are MUCH better drivers. The reason for this actually is, like someone said, due to the fact that LA County relies heavily on their freeway system and people MUST be good at driving.

But see the thing that pisses me off is that people should just want to drive well, regardless of where they live... it's ALWAYS a necessity.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,138,510 times
Compared with drivers in other developed countries people throughout the US drive like a bunch of maniacs out in the sticks somewhere in SE Asia.

California is the worst within the US.

What's so bad about passing on the right? Autobahn etiquette, whadat? /sarc

Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,951,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Compared with drivers in other developed countries people throughout the US drive like a bunch of maniacs out in the sticks somewhere in SE Asia.

California is the worst within the US.

What's so bad about passing on the right? Autobahn etiquette, whadat? /sarc
I don't know about that. Drivers in California are just as bad as most Europeans. The great drivers in Europe are all in Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, the UK, and Ireland.

Northeastern and Midwestern US drivers tend to be pretty good. (NYC being the exception).If you have to drive in snow, you're going to be a better driver.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,346,087 times
Quote:
Are LA drivers really better than SF drivers?
Not necessarily, just less lane swishing.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:18 PM

60 posts, read 153,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
Just got back to LA from a trip to the Bay and I was reminded of this age-old debate. I lived in Sf for five years and then NYC and now LA, and I must say that I feel safer driving the streets of LA than Sf, even though LA drives much faster (I left the NYC driving to the cabbies). A friend of mine who lives in Oakland blames SF's infrastructure (narrow streets and highways, over-crowding, nonexistent signage, etc.), but I'm not totally convinced...
Hi! I, too have lived in NYC and now LA (Santa Monica) and am considering a move to SF for a job. Although, I've been to SF many times, I don't know much about SF living. Would love to learn about what you know.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,983,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't know about that. Drivers in California are just as bad as most Europeans. The great drivers in Europe are all in Germany, Switzerland, Northern Italy, the UK, and Ireland.

Northeastern and Midwestern US drivers tend to be pretty good. (NYC being the exception).If you have to drive in snow, you're going to be a better driver.
Yep. I did not recall French drivers are being that much different than here. And have some of you people ever been to NZ/Australia? My God the drivers there are horrible.

Midwestern drivers can be good but there is a definite distinction between upper midwest and lower-mid midwest. Places like Minnesota, Michigan, & the Dakotas have excellent drivers. Nebraska/Iowa & below are awful though. Hardly anyone pays attention to the road and if you want to get out of an exit only lane and there are cars to the left of you, you'll either be forced out or get into an accident. No joke. No amount of signaling is going to make anyone budge. Still driving is not terribly stressful there because there are all roads and no people (except for Chicagoland, where driving sucks.)

The northeast - ehh, I don't care for them but driving there isn't horrible. In general (especially NYC, which I don't find that much worse than other northeast cities though it is certainly more crowded) everyone is doing everything they can to get ahead - if you realize this you'll be fine, it does make it a bit stressful though.

As for LA vs. SF, LA easily. The infrastructure in SF city is not nearly as auto-friendly as LA, there are too many hills in SF which seems to freak people out, and SF drivers try too hard to be aggressive but can't really pull it off. In the rest of the bay area, they're not that bad but the do seem to be awfully spacy. LA people, for the most part, are most at ease in their car. It's part of the culture. IMO Southern California has the best drivers in the country (behind the upper midwest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland