U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2009, 10:30 AM

16,705 posts, read 13,966,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniedelarosa View Post
[SIZE=3]Hi all
Well thanks again for the replies.....
Firstly I donít think we would want to buy property while we are over in SF, My Hubbyís company is only offering a 3 year contract and besides we own property in South Africa and wouldnít dream of selling especially with South Africa hosting the FIFA WORLD CUP in 2010. We would look to renting out our property in this period for extra income i donít think i have to tell you guys that the Rand is nothing compared to the euro and Dollar so itís really a good time to make some good money.
I think i am trying to just get an idea of what it is like compared to our home town......
I am a very career driven person and if we take this opportunity it would mean i would not be able to work... really donít know what i would do for three years doing nothing itís a scary thought.
I would love to know once i am over there would i be able to get a work permit if my Hubby is working there or should i apply for it before i go ? i guess what i am asking is would i need to have a job over confirmed first or would it be a problem ( big mission )?
With regards to your comment about highjacking well you are right but it has got a little safer, we have had to go through so much change here.........
It sounds like this would be great opportunity for your family to explore another country for 3 years and make some extra money for your future.
While you are in the USA, you could use the time to study something or do some volunteer work. (I think that the likelihood of you getting a work permit is not very high unless you have a profession that an employer can't find a local American to fill the position.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,526,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conniedelarosa View Post
Good Day all,

My Family are from good old South Africa

My hubby has been offered a position in SF (bayhill dr).

We have a 1 year old little girl and was hoping to find out a little about the cost of Living in SF and since he will be working in the Bay hill dr area what would be a good place to live ? (safe)

we are looking at about 200k is this enough to live on ?

What is the average cost of living ?

oh and are South Africans liked or does everyone still think we live in tree houses and have tigers for pets etc.....lol
My best friend is from South Africa. He enjoyed Marin County, which is on the otherside of the Golden Gate Bridge. Reminded him of Capetown.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 550 times
My sister's husband is from South Africa and moved to the States about 6 years ago, specifically Marin County which is just north of San Francisco. I've never asked him for a specific comparison, (nor is he the type to volunteer his personal feelings,) but he seems to enjoy it very much here. He's also a bit of an athlete and appreciates nature, which is particularly abundant/accessible in the north.
I don't know enough about South Africa or you personally to offer a proper comparison. I'll at least say that one of the interesting things about the San Francisco bay area as a whole (that is to say if one would devote a day to traveling around the entire area) is its variety: culturally, ethnically, racially, socially, ideologically, economically, linguistically, topographically, weather-wise, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland