Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,389 times

Advertisements

Good Day all,

My Family are from good old South Africa

My hubby has been offered a position in SF (bayhill dr).

We have a 1 year old little girl and was hoping to find out a little about the cost of Living in SF and since he will be working in the Bay hill dr area what would be a good place to live ? (safe)

we are looking at about 200k is this enough to live on ?

What is the average cost of living ?

oh and are South Africans liked or does everyone still think we live in tree houses and have tigers for pets etc.....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
200k should be plenty imo. People like to overstate how expensive it is. Depending on how much cash you have available, it may take you a while to buy property as a 3-bed house in Burlingame or Sausalito will start at $1 million and go up from there.. but rentals will be within your reach.

Bayhill Dr. is in San Bruno, which is in San Mateo County, so Burlingame and Millbrae would be convenient options which have good school districts for when you eventually need them.

I kinda grew up in the sticks/outskirts of the Bay Area, but even I know that Johannesburg is a great city, if a somewhat dangerous one with a carjacking problem..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Wink Thanks for the reply

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah kind of agree with you regards JHB, thats why i chose to stay in Duban...... I am just a little nervous with the move because South Africa is such a fab place and with all the changes going on really is the wrong time to leave. I am working as a Operations Manager for a Good Telecommunication company. and my Hubby is a imports Manager for a very good Company, the sad thing is if he turns the job down i dont think the company will look at ever offering him a decent position ever again hence him never climbing the ladder so to speak, and if i say stay then i am going to NEVER live it down. So i need to know that we are heading for a better opportunity at the end of the day. I really dont think that there is a better country in this world then SA....... i have not stopped looking at web site etc, and the more i look i think wow fast foods, public transport... dp people even stay at home and cook home cooked meals and enjoy family ? reason for asking South Africans are very homely people will this change in your op?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
SF is a wonderful city with an excellent public transportation system.
As in all places in the USA, people that want to stay at home and eat home cooked meals, can find plenty of supermarkets/grocery stores to buy food. Not everyone eats fast food in the USA all the time!
Personally I have visited in South Africa and Johannesburg (which I know it is not a very safe place). I think most people realize that South Africans are just like people from any other country in the world especially being that they are English-speaking like Americans.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM

32 posts, read 113,096 times
With your job in San Bruno you will probably want to live in Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Foster City or Redwood Shores. These areas are very family friendly with most having great schools. The best thing would be to take a trip out to look for yourself as you can't get a feel until you do so.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
You are moving from South Africa to here? Why? South Africa is the place to be especially when you have children. Anyways, if and when you move welcome.

Since you spouse will have a job lined up and you have money in the bank you should have a good experience. The cost of living is still too high but it coming down.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM

332 posts, read 772,691 times
I think you should visit the area before making a decision like this, especially since you have a little girl. Moving up the corporate ladder isn't everything. It sounds to me like your family has a good thing going where you are. I don't know how much moving about you've done before, but leaving your friends/family/home and setting up in a new place can be extremely difficult.

As for the Bay Area itself, you wouldn't face any ignorant preconceptions about South Africa since there are people from all over the world there. And people who like to stay home are everywhere in the U.S., but it's a bit harder in the Bay Area because homes are smaller (compared to the rest of the U.S., not sure how it compares to RSA).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 AM

[SIZE=3]Hi all [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well thanks again for the replies.....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Firstly I don’t think we would want to buy property while we are over in SF, My Hubby’s company is only offering a 3 year contract and besides we own property in South Africa and wouldn’t dream of selling especially with South Africa hosting the FIFA WORLD CUP in 2010. We would look to renting out our property in this period for extra income i don’t think i have to tell you guys that the Rand is nothing compared to the euro and Dollar so it’s really a good time to make some good money.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think i am trying to just get an idea of what it is like compared to our home town......[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am a very career driven person and if we take this opportunity it would mean i would not be able to work... really don’t know what i would do for three years doing nothing it’s a scary thought.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would love to know once i am over there would i be able to get a work permit if my Hubby is working there or should i apply for it before i go ? i guess what i am asking is would i need to have a job over confirmed first or would it be a problem ( big mission )?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]With regards to your comment about highjacking well you are right but it has got a little safer, we have had to go through so much change here......... but so worth it.......[/SIZE]
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]

Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 AM

[SIZE=3]Hi all [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Well thanks again for the replies.....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Firstly I don’t think we would want to buy property while we are over in SF, My Hubby’s company is only offering a 3 year contract and besides we own property in South Africa and wouldn’t dream of selling especially with South Africa hosting the FIFA WORLD CUP in 2010. We would look to renting out our property in this period for extra income i don’t think i have to tell you guys that the Rand is nothing compared to the euro and Dollar so it’s really a good time to make some good money.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think i am trying to just get an idea of what it is like compared to our home town......[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am a very career driven person and if we take this opportunity it would mean i would not be able to work... really don’t know what i would do for three years doing nothing it’s a scary thought.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would love to know once i am over there would i be able to get a work permit if my Hubby is working there or should i apply for it before i go ? i guess what i am asking is would i need to have a job over confirmed first or would it be a problem ( big mission )?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]With regards to your comment about highjacking well you are right but it has got a little safer, we have had to go through so much change here......... [/SIZE]

Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
I think you should visit the area before making a decision like this, especially since you have a little girl. Moving up the corporate ladder isn't everything. It sounds to me like your family has a good thing going where you are. I don't know how much moving about you've done before, but leaving your friends/family/home and setting up in a new place can be extremely difficult.
Although moving can be extremely difficult, it can also be very rewarding to try out living in another place (especially another country) for a few years. As for your little girl since the USA is English-speaking like South Africa, it won't be too difficult for her to adjust. (I am speaking out of experience having been moved around as a child to different places/countries due to my father's job.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland