Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,756 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the bay for school and am looking for an affordable apartment. I have decided on Daly City but I know there are many bad areas there. Can anybody tell me good and bad areas of town? The only thing I was able to find in the forum was to stay west of El Camino Road, any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
I'm in the Westlake Village Apartments. They aren't bad. I would say stay west of 280 but mostly because the places are smaller and usually older between 280 and El Camino Real and charge the same rent. Which school are you going to? If you aren't going to be driving it may be useful to first figure out what public transportation you'll be using.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
By the way, El Camino Real turns into Mission Street, which leads into one of the more, shall we say, interesting parts of San Francisco. I once walked from Mission & Evergreen in Daly City all the way up to 24th Street at night before taking BART home.. it seemed like there were at least two nightclubs per block, all the way up.

Also, it might vary by company, but 94014 zip code (which includes Colma) has much higher insurance rates with my company than 94015, which is the western side of Daly City.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM

38 posts, read 123,291 times
I grew up in the Serramonte area. Which on the boarder of Daly City and So. San Francisco. I think it is a good area. Not great, but I don't think any areas of Daly City are great anymore. Get use to the Fog. Good luck

Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
rolling pin donuts is fun. yummy stuff to eat.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
I wouldn't really call Daly City "bad." Unless you're referring to the fog of course...

As far as crime, there was only 1 or 2 murders there last year. Cross the north border of Daly City though, and you're in one of the worst parts of SF crime-wise (the northern section of Daly City sort of blends into SF, and you might not even notice which one you're in unless you look at the street signs. In Daly City they're blue, and in SF they're white and green.). But Daly City for the most part is pretty nice and calm, and a little cheaper than SF.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 20,480 times
Actually Daly City as a whole is one of the safest cities for its size. Surprisingly and maybe hard to believe, compared this City with Burlingame or San Mateo, it is safer according to 2006 crime index. Hard to believe since those Cities as a whole are very affluent. Westlake area and the Serramonte area are generally better compared to the rest of the City.The great thing about Daly City is it's close to SF, pretty convenient, access to public transportation, great theater, new or remodeled libraries all over and it's a working class community.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 PM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
Please have a car. The transportation in Daly City is a MOTHER!!! I don't care what others tell you, that damn bus will not help you get anywhere.

What else? It's boring but safe...Have fun!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 21,693 times
If you live a little closer to San Francisco near City College of San Francisco, you shall have easy access to BART, and your life could be much easier.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,034 times
hey people, Do Not rent at WestlakeVillage Apartments in Daly City. They will rip you off. They will increase your Utility FEES WITHOUT INFORMING YOU, it used to be 25$ but increased suddenly to 75$. They will charge you 75$ late fees for any late payments due after THE (FIRST) OF EACH MONTH again without informing you. They will increase your rent AGAIN WITHOUT INFORMING YOU. If you do end up renting there, don't signup for Automatic payments out of your Bank Account, check your bills every month. Call and talk the Corporate office and complain, do not contact the office located in Westlake THEY WILL NOT RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE "CALL THE CORPORATE OFFICE" AND they will assist you. TRUST ME DO NOT RENT THERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT... GOOD LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland