U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 AM

25,258 posts, read 15,256,518 times

Advertisements

I'm not into marijuana at all, but I find it troubling that the cities of San Diego and Los Angeles are so uncomfortable with the medical marijuana dispensaries. City Council members are constantly threatening to have them shut down, etc. It's just amazing to me.

I haven't read about any big problems with it in SF. Am I missing the controversies in SF, or is it pretty much a live-and-let-live situation? (as I would expect in San Francisco)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 13,501,307 times
My grandmother several years ago was dying of pancreatic cancer in the SF Bay area and the family was able to obtain for her without problem medical marijuana to easy her pain in her terminal situation.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,855,961 times
Here's my problem with it. It's a band aid.

Pot should be fully legal for people over 21. Just like alcohol.

Main stream it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM

4,573 posts, read 4,651,938 times
Medical marijuana dispensaries cause problems where ever they go.

They are a magnet for losers. Everyone who is hip to the scene knows most people who use medical marijuana are teens and twenty somethings, usually with no real ailment.

They are a magnet for thugs who try to rob "patients" and "dispensaries".

There was a shoot out in Downtown hayward between would be robbers and armed security guards.

These places are more or less crack houses but for weed.

Many cities have put up ordinances banning them from residential areas, or with in certain distances between schools and parks and some have banned them outright all together.

I personally have no problem with medical marijuana but I feel the whole thing needs to be revamped and done more discretely. People should be able to get this stuff at a pharmacy or delivered to their homes. These open air weed stores need to be shut down.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Medical marijuana dispensaries cause problems where ever they go.

They are a magnet for losers. Everyone who is hip to the scene knows most people who use medical marijuana are teens and twenty somethings, usually with no real ailment.

They are a magnet for thugs who try to rob "patients" and "dispensaries".

There was a shoot out in Downtown hayward between would be robbers and armed security guards.

These places are more or less crack houses but for weed.

Many cities have put up ordinances banning them from residential areas, or with in certain distances between schools and parks and some have banned them outright all together.

I personally have no problem with medical marijuana but I feel the whole thing needs to be revamped and done more discretely. People should be able to get this stuff at a pharmacy or delivered to their homes. These open air weed stores need to be shut down.
Your comments didn't address my original question at all. You obviously have a personal vendetta against medical marijuana.

Here in Palm Springs, there's a dispensary about a mile from where I live. I pass by it all the time. I've not seen or heard about any problems, and the people I see coming and going look totally normal to me.

I think the "problems" with medical marijuana are mostly imaginary. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Americans have always had a Puritanical attitude toward anything that brings physical pleasure.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:37 PM

4,573 posts, read 4,651,938 times
I like how you say I obviously have a vendetta against medical marijuana right under my statement that says I have no problem with it. The fact that with that statement you would still accuse me of having a vendetta against it, shows that you are a pot head.

News flash shaggy, people don't like to live, send their children to school, or have their children play in parks, near locations where : people are driving to get weed, driving after getting weed, driving
while on weed, smoking weed.

Just because you can't see through the smoke and can not figure out why people prefer to not be around these places doesn't mean others can't. The dispensaries that people have the least problems with are the ones in industrial areas. Its only when some jag tries to open one next to a candy store or with in a block a school that people get upset.

You asked if you were missing the controversy, and I enlightened you. You are missing the controversy. There is a reason all the medical marijuana dispensaries along mission street /e 14th all got raided. There used to be half a dozen pot vendors there, now there is two, one of which is delivery only.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The fact that with that statement you would still accuse me of having a vendetta against it, shows that you are a pot head.
That's hilarious. I've never smoked anything in my life. If it weren't for my sexual interests, I could be a Mormon.

Quote:
There is a reason all the medical marijuana dispensaries along mission street /e 14th all got raided. There used to be half a dozen pot vendors there, now there is two, one of which is delivery only.
That's really what I was asking about - whether or not the city was trying to shut down the clinics. Thanks for answering the question - this time.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 AM

175 posts, read 342,351 times
San Francisco:

Marijuana = Good
Cigarettes = Bad

People smoke weed everywhere in SF - including the financial district. It's not a big deal here. I would think SF has some sort of zoning for these types of places, just like they do for bars, strip clubs, etc.

To answer your question, I don't think the dispensaries are causing any more problems than any other business. I think it's just a matter of time until it becomes completely legalized. It will be interesting to see who the financial winners (besides state tax revenue) will be if/when its legalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland