Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,293 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the East Bay from the east coast and are looking at houses in the three cities above. What is the "local reputation" of Alamo vs. Laf/Orinda? I can see that Laf/Orin have older more established neighborhoods and that Alamo has the newer homes due to more undeveloped land, but I'm not sure of the people who live in these areas due to not visiting these areas yet. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Alamo is old money. It's also between Danville, which is nouveau riche, and being developed well and Walnut Creek which is the financial center of the area. The weather is warmer there. There's an old fashioned charm to Alamo -- there are old fashioned feed stores there, horses... but because it's sandwiched in between two very quickly growing areas it sort of feel left behind...

Lafayette and Orinda are cooler temp wise, Orinda, more so -- you still get heat, but it tempers well at night due to the marine layer push we get. Lafayette and Orinda are also wealthy.

Lafayette has been very busy updating their downtown area -- and it's quite attractive. There's a great cash only coffee shop called The Squirrels -- great fluffy omelets and fresh fruit that's always good. Every year Cotton Patch, a local quilt shop, throws a big Quilt Show (I love Cotton Patch). And there's also a small Community Theatre there. And although we've never eaten there, there is supposed to be a great pizza/Italian place with an outdoor cafe section that is wonderful at night. At the end of Lafayette there is a wonderful historical cemetary that is still being used.

Orinda has been split in 2 by the freeway. So there's a very small "downtown" and then there's Orinda Village area, with shopping and a community center. I would hazard a guess there's more money in Orinda... but frankly, Orinda feels more like a bedroom community than a town to me.

Can you tell I like Lafayette?

As far as the people -- I'm guessing here -- from working in a bank at Walnut Creek for 8 years, with an office in Orinda -- Alamo is probably more conservative than liberal, Orinda is more liberal than conservative and Lafayette is more in between.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,293 times
Thank you! This is such great information! I appreciate it - thanks for taking the time to write! Interested to hear other thoughts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland