U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 20,516 times
Default Unemployment insurance denied - Voluntary quit due to health reasons. Advice??

I would very much like to get some advise on my current situation. anybody that can offer me advise, I would very much appreciate it.

I was laid of like many over 6 months ago and was given CA unemployment. However, in June 2009, I finnally landed a job. However, this job was incredibly stressful with expectations beyond what was initially described to me. This stress unfortunately caused me to develop health issues that prevented me from sleeping and causing costant anxiety/depression issues. Two weeks in, I consulted a doctor and was given sleep medication. This made things worse. I consulted the doctor again and recieved a different medication at 3 weeks in. This also made things worse. Through out this time I communicated these issues with my supervisor and he allowed me to attempt working from home to lesson the stress. Hover, the sleeplessness continued and my health physically and mentally declined quickly. My doctor even agreed that if this continued after a month, the job does not outweigh my health. I continued trying to work with my employer on this issue, but after 1 months time of sleep deprivation, my body and mind quit. I had to quit the job.

I then tried to reinstate my Unemployment insurance, but was denied. I still have the option to appeal, but would very much like to know if anyone has some expertise and advise on this issue.

Is this a valid claim that I may be able to contest? If so, is there anything I can do to make my case stronger?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 2,227,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel009 View Post
I would very much like to get some advise on my current situation. ... Is this a valid claim that I may be able to contest?
Am not sure why your doctor did not advise that quiting your current job would make void any future unemployment claims. I do not think it is valid, I've need never seen anyone successfully file unemployment after quiting... But.

I think when you file, you can claim you quit for "good cause" (health reasons). If your claim is denied, you should be entitled to a hearing where you can plead your case.

Unread 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,351,567 times
People who quit their jobs or were fired are not entitled to unemployment (unless something has changed). UI might tell you to get disability. But I don't know anything about what direction you can and can't take, just giving my opinion. Others on this thread might be able to offer better advice.

Unread 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,297,201 times
Because you quit there is not much you can do.

Unread 10-05-2009, 06:15 PM

7,606 posts, read 8,352,359 times
Sorry dude, if you quit, no unemployment. It's clearly stated.

Unread 10-05-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 20,516 times
Thanks for the replies, Upon my own research, I found this page

Voluntary Quit VQ 235 - Health and Safety Considerations

Does this not apply to my situation?

Thanks again

Unread 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 28,686 times
You CAN qualify for unemployment benefits even if you quit... It is a bit for difficult at times, but certainly not impossible. I personally know someone who was able to.

There are specific conditions that allow you to quit and still qualify for unemployment, such as substandard working conditions, underpaid wages, work causing HEALTH ISSUES.... etc. Do your research and appeal!

Unread 04-22-2010, 03:51 PM

11,421 posts, read 8,620,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
People who quit their jobs or were fired are not entitled to unemployment (unless something has changed). UI might tell you to get disability. But I don't know anything about what direction you can and can't take, just giving my opinion. Others on this thread might be able to offer better advice.
You can quit if you were fired in most cases. I know two people who got it after being fired. The only time you would be denied is if the former employer contested it.

Unread 04-22-2010, 11:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,362,265 times
The first four responses aren't correct. Yes Daniel009 - if you quit for a good reason you can appeal and get unemployment. I know two people who have succeeded on "good reason" grounds; one for health reasons, the other because the commute became too great.

I recommend getting a doctor's note saying he advised you to quit and sending it along with the appeal. My guess is that will work. If it does not work, then you will have the option of going to trial; in which case you still would have nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland