U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

I found this on Craigslist:

"2830 International Blvd OPEN HOUSE TO VIEW THE APARTMENTS' THURSDAY 8th BETWEEN 5PM -6PM Move in Special, 1 MONTHS FREE, with a 12 Months LEASE... Available Now

-1 year lease
-New Paint
-2 bed 1 bath
- First and Second floor Unit
-We Pay Water & Garbage
-Gated Secure Entrance
-Parking Extra
-Near Fruitvale Bart
-Laundry Room
-Large living Room
-Close to I-580 / I-880
-Bus line, 801, 1
- Sorry NO Pet"

Does anyone have any insight on these apartments and the surrounding area? Would a medium sized broke white boy out of high school be troubled in this area? Cos damn, I've rarely ever seen a two bedroomer for this price in the Bay, much less one near a BART. I grew up one of a very small number of white kids in a somewhat dicey Central Valley area, and I know the Fruitvale neighborhood has problems with crime, I'm just wondering if my living here would be a terrible idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 AM

6,869 posts, read 16,998,093 times
As far as I'm concerned, location is everything. I'm looking at the place in a street view, and it looks like it's about 50 feet off International through an alley wide enough for one car to get to the parking lot. There's a Latino bar, "El Gato Negro," on the corner and a Mexican restaurant three doors away. Personally, I would never rent this place because I know I would not sleep, and even if I tried to get into the spirit of the place, I don't speak Spanish so my interaction would be limited. If you don't have that gripe, then go ahead. That's a fairly safe pocket of Fruitvale.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM

25,306 posts, read 33,044,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
In Fruitvale, on the E14? Really?
That stretch of E.14th is part of the San Antonio District...hardly only a latino quarter.
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2002/05/31/ba_oaklandmap.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM

Ah, I didn't realize that wasn't actually Fruitvale. It is also close to Jingletown, now that I look at the map more closely.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM

8,052 posts, read 10,047,221 times
From what I've observed the concentration of Asians increases toward the Lake and conversely, things get more Latino toward Fruitvale ... mas o menos ...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 PM

58 posts, read 152,359 times
Fruitvale is a very violent and dangerous place. Many prostitutes and murders. A shameful amount of thugs parading on Int'l BLVD all hours of the day and night. Great Mexican food though.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM

When this popped up I thought of the restaurant owner who was killed at this exact intersection this week..

Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 AM

25,306 posts, read 33,044,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
When this popped up I thought of the restaurant owner who was killed at this exact intersection this week..
The restaurant Otaez is on 39th and International. A few blocks down Intl.

I had breakfast there about 6 months ago and I remember seeing the owner, who used to sit behind that glass booth where he would cash checks for patrons. Ive known him for years. Cant believe that happened to him.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 AM

25 posts, read 27,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
Fruitvale is a very violent and dangerous place. Many prostitutes and murders. A shameful amount of thugs parading on Int'l BLVD all hours of the day and night. Great Mexican food though.
You have to be kidding me Fruitvale especially in the 30's is the only part of East Oakland where you'll see tourists walking around and that you never hear about on the news or in rap songs. The politicians over there really did a great job of cleaning it up in recent years.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM

6,920 posts, read 6,892,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF510 View Post
You have to be kidding me Fruitvale especially in the 30's is the only part of East Oakland where you'll see tourists walking around and that you never hear about on the news or in rap songs. The politicians over there really did a great job of cleaning it up in recent years.

Unless all the tourists started frequenting Fruitvale in the last 2 months, I never saw them when I lived in the area other than for the Dia De Los Muertos festival. You do see people starting to head over from the condos in Jingletown these days but other than that Fruitvale is still same old Fruitvale.

Also, there's still a lot of gang activity in the 30's despite the increasing popularity of Fruitvale and Allendale... 38th in particular (and really all of the 30's) is deep Norteño territory and the Hells Angels' presence in the area isn't negligible either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland