U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 AM

4,573 posts, read 4,647,068 times

Advertisements

Louisiana tourist killed in S.F. robbery setup

This poor unfortunate tourist came to SF to visit family, it turned out tragic, as the under policed, un safe city of SF has yet another bloody murder. The tourist was at the night club city nights. A well known night club that attracts ghetto seedy characters and thugs, that scare off the more upscale clientele.

A woman pretending to need a ride, lured the tourist to the griffith housing projects. A notorious slum, where a few of its residents have been known to ruin the environment of the surrounding neighborhood intho a war zone. This place was one of the reasons the Giants decided to build there own ball park on the nice side of town. Too many residents of the projects accosting, beating, and robbing sport fans.

When the tourist went to drop off the woman a man was waiting to rob him, and shot the tourist in his rental car.

The sad thing is I have heard about this happening all over the bay. When I was going to Cal, I had a buddy who had a similar near death experience after a girl lured him to north richmond. I used to be give women rides all the time back home, but after things like this, I usually opt not to give women rides that are dressed in urban/hip hop attire. Too risky. The criminal culture is too pervasive in these urban communities that these people come from. It is a shame that in such a natural setting such ugly things can happen. The bay area is really turning into a high culture/no culture only region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,905,035 times
It's a pity this happens but you have to be vigilant, especially when you're a tourist. Thugs prey on tourists and if they see you're new in their area, they will see you as potential victim. Going alone into a bad area is always a bad idea, especially drinking, that alone makes you more vulnerable. I'm not saying the tourist deserved it, no one deserves to be killed....but you can't take risks like that anywhere in the world.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 AM

3,146 posts, read 5,125,644 times
I do not agree that this particular case demonstrates a lack of policing.

However it does show that one needs to be careful in SF. There are clever robbers who target gullible people. If one has a sense of street smarts, one can avoid scenarios like this.

Treat a stranger in the city asking for a ride the same way that one would treat a hitchhiker in the country asking for a ride -- Do not give rides to strangers, and do not get into automobiles operated by strangers.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,488,189 times
That's a sad story, worst thing he probally thought he was in for a good time that night for taking her home.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM

4,573 posts, read 4,647,068 times
Just saw it on the news right now on ABC. According to his friend he was actually just doing the girl a favor, had no idea where he was headed or what he was getting into. Father of 3, and worked for delta airlines. He was from the south. He was probably showing some southern hospitality, unfortunately that's where it got him. It is sad, but that is why I do not do favors for people I do not know, especially in the city. You really just can't trust people these days.

I wonder if there is stuff the city itself could do to prevent things like this from happening, like warning tourists which areas to avoid and which place are risky when going 'clubbing'. I know they do things like that in Jamaica,Mexico, and Costa Rica and it has had good results.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

49,563 posts, read 41,551,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Louisiana tourist killed in S.F. robbery setup

This poor unfortunate tourist came to SF to visit family, it turned out tragic, as the under policed, un safe city of SF has yet another bloody murder. The tourist was at the night club city nights. A well known night club that attracts ghetto seedy characters and thugs, that scare off the more upscale clientele.

A woman pretending to need a ride, lured the tourist to the griffith housing projects. A notorious slum, where a few of its residents have been known to ruin the environment of the surrounding neighborhood intho a war zone. This place was one of the reasons the Giants decided to build there own ball park on the nice side of town. Too many residents of the projects accosting, beating, and robbing sport fans.

When the tourist went to drop off the woman a man was waiting to rob him, and shot the tourist in his rental car.

The sad thing is I have heard about this happening all over the bay. When I was going to Cal, I had a buddy who had a similar near death experience after a girl lured him to north richmond. I used to be give women rides all the time back home, but after things like this, I usually opt not to give women rides that are dressed in urban/hip hop attire. Too risky. The criminal culture is too pervasive in these urban communities that these people come from. It is a shame that in such a natural setting such ugly things can happen. The bay area is really turning into a high culture/no culture only region.
Many years ago one of my husbands old bosses, who was living in DC at the time was crossing the street in San Francisco. I don't know what area, but anyway as the story goes, a car full of hoods yelled something at him, he said something back, they shot and killed him. He was in his late 30s with 2 small children. I guess if you are a tourist you better to pretty careful where you go and what you say.

We do have to remember, these things happen in most major cities, but it doesn't give San Francisco a good name.

Nita

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 AM

8,096 posts, read 10,009,132 times
Sad thing but it happens in every large city, you have to be smart out there, cities have different rules. It is an unfortunate part of life.

This probably occurs everyday in NYC, Chicago, Miami, L.A....

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM

7,962 posts, read 9,848,131 times
No offense, but here is what I see when we walk past City Nights on the way to other clubs. Lots of very, very drunk young Asian folks, with a smattering of others, who are into the after market Japanese car culture, trying to be all ghetto.

This story does not surprise me at all.

BTW - to those who don't live here, City Nights is not in a "bad" area per se. However, where they went to afterwards is.

BTW2 - I lived a couple or three blocks away from there for a while, back about 20 years ago. Among a handful of places I've lived in The City.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,168,905 times
Yeah i heard about this, pretty sad. They actually robbed the man who was shot and killed, along with his friends who were also from Louisiana, and another friend who was from Oakland. The man was shot and killed after he was robbed, when he said something to the robbers. Unfortunately it's not the first time unwitting tourists have been murdered in HP.

It also reminds me of an incident a few years ago in which three teenage girls lured a Russian immigrant to Fort Funston in SF, and then shot him in the head, and robbed him.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,571,525 times
Oh god here we go with your fear mongering again. City Nights is 99% of the time filled with young 18 year old wild 94.9 listeners. There is no "Ghettoness" to the club. It's not 550 Barneveld or something. This type of thing happens in every major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland