Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I doubt that those ingredients are found in regular places to eat. Maybe at Per Se or Nobu or Jean Georges. In that case, The French Laundry, Gary Danko and Boulevard probably have the same access to ingredients from around the world-although our ingredients are to fresh and so high quality, we don't need to depend on airplanes.

As far as regular food--our budget restaurants have access to high quality ingredients that NY budget restaurants dont because of price.
Many of the restaurants in napa and sonoma have their own gardens in the back so they can pick them as ripe as possible. There is an emphasis here more on local, seasonal, organic than I have seen anywhere in the country. Is there a comparable rural foodie scene in the U.S.? Hmm maybe Portland or Maine but I don't think it is on NorthBay scale... NYC definitely has more high end and upscale restaurants than the Bay Area, one could just pick up a magazine or restaurant listing and come to that conclusion. As far as low to high range meals here, I haven't seen anywhere so consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Many of the restaurants in napa and sonoma have their own gardens in the back so they can pick them as ripe as possible. There is an emphasis here more on local, seasonal, organic than I have seen anywhere in the country. Is there a comparable rural foodie scene in the U.S.? Hmm maybe Portland or Maine but I don't think it is on NorthBay scale... NYC definitely has more high end and upscale restaurants than the Bay Area, one could just pick up a magazine or restaurant listing and come to that conclusion. As far as low to high range meals here, I haven't seen anywhere so consistent.
The restaurant offerings up there in Wine Country is really excellent.

What a foodie heaven-and the setting is so beautiful.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
There is no pizza in CA on par with the stuff in NYC (for traditional thin crust).

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
18Montclair, I hate/love epicurious and other ratings systems like them as they tend to have a vested interest in the people/restaurants they highlight and get votes on. It would be great to really get some feedback from people that don't live in either place that have visited and see what they think.

NY has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better food. People there truly celebrate food and 9 times out of 10 I enjoy whatever I eat there. Can't say the same thing for the inconsistency of the bay area food. Now you are making me plan a trip just to take it all in again.

Grapico, too funny!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
18Montclair, I hate/love epicurious and other ratings systems like them as they tend to have a vested interest in the people/restaurants they highlight and get votes on. It would be great to really get some feedback from people that don't live in either place that have visited and see what they think.
Actually that's precisely what Travel and Leisure's ranking is-a visitors survey and SF ranked 2nd whilst LA well, was 14th. Yikes.

Quote:
NY has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better food. People there truly celebrate food and 9 times out of 10 I enjoy whatever I eat there.
hahaha....celebrating food is something SF is known for and virtually every poll agrees. NY has world class cuisine, no doubt-but I still like our overall food better.

Quote:
Can't say the same thing for the inconsistency of the bay area food.[/i].
Unfortunately I can't find any poll or survey to back up your opinion.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There is no pizza in CA on par with the stuff in NYC (for traditional thin crust).
or chicago deep dish... ..yes it is fattening and messy, but sometimes i get a craving for it. I was walking through north beach though on sunday and wanted to grab some peoples plates that were sitting outside.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
or chicago deep dish... ..yes it is fattening and messy, but sometimes i get a craving for it. I was walking through north beach though on sunday and wanted to grab some peoples plates that were sitting outside.
LOL

Next time ur in Oakland--please check out Zachary's on College Avenue in Rockridge-that place has a cult following(scary actuallyLOL) cause the pizza there is just out of this world.

Zachary's Pizza 100 best pizza awards San Francisco Bay Area Oakland Berkeley San Ramon CA Restaurants

Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
One of the things I can't stand about bay area eating is that everything closes very early. In NY and LA you can find pretty much whatever food you want at all hours of the day. Can't say the same thing for here and the East Bay just doesn't do this. Zachary's is ok, but not better than NY pizzas.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,344 times
Quote:
One of the things I can't stand about bay area eating is that everything closes very early. In NY and LA you can find pretty much whatever food you want at all hours of the day. Can't say the same thing for here and the East Bay just doesn't do this. Zachary's is ok, but not better than NY pizzas.
We get it already. Also why are you comparing a Chicago Style Pizza place with NY pizza from NY? Also, NYC is 10 times the size of here, just by numbers alone you're going to have more restaurants and better restaurants. It's not really a fair comparison in that right. LA same thing, LA has up here beat in two things specifically. Korean food and Authentic Japanese food and Sushi. they have some really good hole in the wall authentic Japanese places all over LA Metro and the Korean food is ridiculous there. .

Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
In LA you can find pretty much whatever food you want at all hours of the day.
I've found that LAs late night offerings arent really that good-convenient perhaps, but not that good.

Quote:
Can't say the same thing for here and the East Bay just doesn't do this.
Quantity and Quality are two different things.

Quote:
Zachary's is ok, but not better than NY pizzas.
hahaha...Zachary's is better than any pizza I've ever eaten in Los Angeles. That' for darn sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland