U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,190,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaladoidCity View Post
In St. Louis, there are many areas the police won't even go to. Any areas like that in San Francisco?

SF can hardly compare to St. Louis and America's other bad cities.

Murder Rates:

New Orleans - 63.6 per 100,000

St. Louis - 46.9 per 100,000

San Francisco - 12.3 per 100,000

Seems kinda low, doesn't it.
yeah SF's murder rate has never been all that high...the highest since 1985 has been around 18 per 100k residents, in 1993, and it was also around 20 per 100k a few times in the 70's. But it still has it's bad neighborhoods for sure. Cities like LA and NYC have even lower murder rates than SF but still have their really bad areas as well. When looking at all 76 US cities of 250,000 or more residents, as of 2008, SF's murder rate was actually higher than 65% of them. No it's not high, but it isn't really low. New Orleans and Saint Louis are often at the top of the list for murder rate too..most cities are have very low rates in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,988,177 times
MOD CUT S.F is safe for the most part (stay away from Hunter's point and the tenderloin).

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-15-2010 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: quit bringing up Oakland...

Old 10-15-2014, 01:59 PM

245 posts, read 67,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
San Diego is safe. Portland is safe. Boston is safe. Denver is safe.

But San Francisco?

While it still might be one of the most expensive cities to live in here in the USA, there's a lot of evidence that shows that many crimes occurr right in some of the city's most chic and upscale neighborhoods. This includes tourist areas at night. In addition, many people in this forum seem to point out that San Francisco doesn't feel that safe a lot of the time.

So what do you guys think? Statistics and crime data aside, do you FEEL like San Francisco is a safe city overall? Could you live in SF for years in a nice district area without being assaulted or having your place broken into? Do you have many friends who have been victims of crimes? Or is all this talk blown out of proportion.

I personally have never felt truly unsafe in SF walking around at night in particular, other than the Tenderloin. The only scary incident I can recall was one at the Metreon in SOMA, where this heroin junkie high as a kite kept following me and my friends around, he was in a dream world but kept staring at us vigorously. We walked away and then he trailed behind us, track marks on the arms and all. Eventually we got into the movie theater, but when we came out (2 hours later!) he was standing downstairs claiming he missed us, and if we would please "help" him out so he could buy us some dope. At the point, we notified security. That was the only negative thing I've experienced, and unfortunately, there does seem to be a lot of unstable wierdos on the streets who are most likely harmless but definitely intimidating.

So overall, I've never felt afraid in SF, but I do get shocked by the crime data I see. Why, in such an affluent and overly-gentrified city, is there this much crime? And how bizarre is it that there could be several housing projects within city limits?

Well anyways, let's start a debate and hear your opinions.
San Francisco is very safe.

I lived in the area many years and have gone back to visit many times. I have also been to 46 US States and more than 40 countries. San Francisco is one of the safest big cities I've ever been to.

Perception is often much different from reality. I used to live in the Golden Hill neighborhood of San Diego, and when I decided to move there, my (she is now, wasn't then) fiance and her family thought it was way too dangerous and scary. Needless to say, in five years living there we did not endure any kind of crime and the area was no more dangerous than any other part of the city.

The thing is, Boston and Denver aren't really that safe. A woman in Denver is 4x more likely to be raped than in San Francisco, and the rest of the violent crime rate is not that far from SF's. In Boston, the murder rate is higher, the rape rate is 3x as high, and there are twice as many aggravated assaults than in SF.

Real dangerous cities are like New Orleans or Detroit. I lived in New Orleans for 3.5 years and that was far more dangerous. Nearly everyone I knew was robbed at gunpoint. My college had several students murdered in the 3.5 years I was there.

Granted, the Bay Area has some dangerous places like Richmond, Oakland and Vallejo, but nobody visits the Bay Area to go to those places...

Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,480,264 times
SF isn't very safe. People get mugged and assaulted in random areas of the city all the time. Statistically it's about average as far as national cities go. It's overall safer than Oakland, but there are some really dangerous parts of the city that I avoid at all costs, and some neighborhoods that are much more dangerous than well traveled parts of Oakland.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM

3,122 posts, read 881,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Granted, the Bay Area has some dangerous places like Richmond, Oakland and Vallejo, but nobody visits the Bay Area to go to those places...
Actually, people do visit the Bay Area to go to Oakland. Oakland's music scene is the bomb! Oakland has gorgeous parks to hike around in, in the hills, like Redwood Regional Park, and Lake Temescal. The city's rep has come up in the world, and it's becoming known as a happening place. It's no longer true that "there's no there, there". Oakland's full of surprises--good ones.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:43 PM

373 posts, read 111,871 times
The only really dangerous area I can think of would be Hunters Point. But that's the very southeast corner of the city, and I don't think a tourist could even end up there unless they fell asleep on the wrong bus.

Then there's the Tenderloin. It's definitely grimy and third-world, but unless you're doing something dumb like flaunting your wealth at night, the worst that'll likely happen is having a random homeless person curse you out.

As for Oakland, stay away from West Oakland. My husband's coworker just moved there 2 months ago and was apparently already robbed 3 different times at gunpoint. And she lives by the BART station.

Not all of Oakland is like that though. Some parts are really nice.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 PM

8,186 posts, read 5,270,225 times
Lower crime rate than Boston. It's middling as far as safety goes, not particularly noteworthy as being either safe or dangerous.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:12 PM

3,122 posts, read 881,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Lower crime rate than Boston. It's middling as far as safety goes, not particularly noteworthy as being either safe or dangerous.
Why is Boston so crime-ridden? It's come up on this thread a couple of times. What's with Boston?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,462,661 times
No large city on the planet is "safe overall."

Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 AM

8,186 posts, read 5,270,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Why is Boston so crime-ridden? It's come up on this thread a couple of times. What's with Boston?
Boston's rise to prominence as an egghead (eds and meds) city is fairly new. Before that it was just a rundown post-industrial city. It's a few years ahead of Murderdelphia but not really that many years. The perplexing one to me is DC. I don't know much about it, but it's just interesting that it's such a cesspool while simultaneously having basically unlimited money flowing into it from the productive sector of the entire country. Maybe it just never developed an economy? Sacramento's a bit like that too, overreliance on public sector. Maybe DC is just a more extreme version?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland