Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM

282 posts, read 382,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I can respect that. I agree that it's not right for non-white people to feel discriminated against simply by their race. However, I think you missed the basis of my post.
I'm just saying that I'm sick of "whitey" getting blamed for everybody else's social ills. I've never once done anything in my life that would remotely hamper somebody else's ability to live a successful life. I commend anybody from any background who's trying to make something of themself.
Personally, if I was ever somewhere where I was witnessing racism against somebody, I would speak up. I don't condone racism against any race and I think that we all have the right to live in peace and not feel embarrassed because of our skin color. You can't control the way you're born!
With that said, I also hate the fact that as a white guy, I often feel like I have to walk on eggshells because somebody's always going to get offended by me speaking out on any racial issue. I shouldn't have to feel embarrassed to be white. My family immigrated here just like almost everybody else did to make a better life for themselves.
The fact that Oakland Uptown was so quick to jump all over my post pretty much proves my point. I do believe that there are many racist white people...just not nearly as many as many non-white people would like everybody to think. Many non-white people have a huge chip on their shoulder towards white people and act as though they can't walk out their front door without "whitey" oppressing them.
Every weekday morning I work out at my local 24 Hour Fitness. Every time I go in, I smile and say "hi" to the black chick that's working the front desk. Never once has she ever smiled back and said hello. Funny thing though...I see her be friendly and chatting it up and laughing with many non-white people there! One of these days I want to call here out on it, but really there's probably no point.
I'm sorry to anybody who has to experience racial discrimination, and I agree that it's totally wrong and inexcusable. But, I'm also tired of feeling like I almost have to constantly feel apologetic for just being white.
Anyways, now that this thread has gone way off-topic...
LOL yeah, I understand where you're coming from, the constant cry of racism for everything has negated the reality of it. I never use it unless warranted and too many people just throw it around with no concern. It's now at the point where a lot of people brush it off as a "Race Card" excuse even if it is a valid cry of racism.

It is time for people to take more responsibility for themselves and stop making excuses but at the same time, many people need to have some sympathy for the situations some people are in. There are many people that have many strikes against them, but they get no respect because they are stereotyped as lazy and not trying hard enough. Nobody knows everybody's personal story. You shouldn't have to feel the way you do either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I can respect that. I agree that it's not right for non-white people to feel discriminated against simply by their race. However, I think you missed the basis of my post.
I'm just saying that I'm sick of "whitey" getting blamed for everybody else's social ills. I've never once done anything in my life that would remotely hamper somebody else's ability to live a successful life. I commend anybody from any background who's trying to make something of themself.
Personally, if I was ever somewhere where I was witnessing racism against somebody, I would speak up. I don't condone racism against any race and I think that we all have the right to live in peace and not feel embarrassed because of our skin color. You can't control the way you're born!
With that said, I also hate the fact that as a white guy, I often feel like I have to walk on eggshells because somebody's always going to get offended by me speaking out on any racial issue. I shouldn't have to feel embarrassed to be white. My family immigrated here just like almost everybody else did to make a better life for themselves.
The fact that Oakland Uptown was so quick to jump all over my post pretty much proves my point. I do believe that there are many racist white people...just not nearly as many as many non-white people would like everybody to think. Many non-white people have a huge chip on their shoulder towards white people and act as though they can't walk out their front door without "whitey" oppressing them.
Every weekday morning I work out at my local 24 Hour Fitness. Every time I go in, I smile and say "hi" to the black chick that's working the front desk. Never once has she ever smiled back and said hello. Funny thing though...I see her be friendly and chatting it up and laughing with many non-white people there! One of these days I want to call here out on it, but really there's probably no point.
I'm sorry to anybody who has to experience racial discrimination, and I agree that it's totally wrong and inexcusable. But, I'm also tired of feeling like I almost have to constantly feel apologetic for just being white.
Anyways, now that this thread has gone way off-topic...
I'm a black male and I basically agree with what you're saying. Making whites feel uncomfortable is really no better than minorities feeling this way.

However, I'm sure you realize why things are this way right? Most of the hate crimes committed against minorities were done by whites. A few have been minority against minority, the groups of blacks the beat a Hispanic guy in Buffalo comes to mind. However the vast majority have been from whites. Then there is the history but I won't go into that here. As a white person, you can go just about anywhere you want in this country and 1. see people who look like you and 2. minus some neighborhoods in some cities, you can go anywhere you want. There are places in this country where I as a black male cannot go. It's even worse for Hispanics these days. There are places where if us minorities were to venture, our safety can be in jeopardy just because we look different.

Having said all of that I want to reiterate that I still do agree with what you're saying. I just don't think that you may be aware of how life can be for non-white people all the time. It's also a bunch of little things here and there that happen to us like the lady who clutches her purse or moves into the street when you are about to pass her on the sidewalk. Some poeple simply can't handle that type of treatment well and in their minds, two wrongs make a right.

You've never done anything to any minority, however I've never done anything harmful to any white person either (my girlfriend is white), yet I have to deal with the negative stereotypes that many whites still have about black people.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Blaming white people for racism and lack of upward mobility is so 1991.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Just bumping this topic as I'm doing some research for a California trip.

I've been to San Francisco 3 times, so I'm no expert, but I've been in the good and bad areas (mistakenly booked a hotel in the Tenderloin a few years ago).

The problem with this city is that there are aggressive homeless people on virtually every block. They don't back down, they don't shut up, and they often will not leave you alone. From old guys pushing carts to the white-dread junkie kids in the Haight who basically choose this lifestyle, it's just overwhelming and annoying. So, it's not a feeling of outright danger, like in say, Philadelphia.

I would hesitate to take my wife and son in many parts of SF because of this. Conversations with locals....very liberal types..they are sick of the situation also. Reminds me of NYC in the 70's and 80's where you couldn't walk through Penn Station without having to step over homeless. I guess some people think it's an inalienable right for people to hassle you on the the street and they think that gives a city "flavor". Personally, I think it sucks.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Yeah, generally, smelling someone elses unwashed body, and urine kind of sucks.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 179,726 times
For what it's worth, I've lived in San Francisco since 1988 and the only crime I've ever experienced personally is having my car stolen (once) and broken into (three times). I do know a couple of people who have been mugged (in the Mission) but that's only two people over a period of 20 years. The really bad areas are mostly out of the way and there's no reason you'd be there anyway. Exceptions are the Tenderloin and some parts of the Mission. I feel safe here.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Take guns away from the people and only criminals have guns. You've made your bed, now lie in it.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM

282 posts, read 382,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Take guns away from the people and only criminals have guns. You've made your bed, now lie in it.
Uh what? Plenty of people non criminal own guns in SF. You mean assault weapons? What do you need that for?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 56,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Maybe it's because I grew up around DC/Baltimore, but I've always felt extremely safe in San Francisco. The fact that SF has less than 100 homicides per year with a population of 800,000 was a huge shock to me. Baltimore has a population of 600,000 and it's homicide total is always 200-300 per year, and was well over 300 in the 90's.
Unfortunately it's a bit worse in Baltimore now. But, SF has so much more going for it...the crime numbers are a lot lower for SF than Baltimore & other large cities with fewer citizens. So it sounds like SF is like most cities...you have bad places, & that's where most of the issues happen at.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 13,070 times
In St. Louis, there are many areas the police won't even go to. Any areas like that in San Francisco?

SF can hardly compare to St. Louis and America's other bad cities.

Murder Rates:

New Orleans - 63.6 per 100,000

St. Louis - 46.9 per 100,000

San Francisco - 12.3 per 100,000

Seems kinda low, doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland