Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:45 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,564 times

Advertisements

San Diego is safe. Portland is safe. Boston is safe. Denver is safe.

But San Francisco?

While it still might be one of the most expensive cities to live in here in the USA, there's a lot of evidence that shows that many crimes occurr right in some of the city's most chic and upscale neighborhoods. This includes tourist areas at night. In addition, many people in this forum seem to point out that San Francisco doesn't feel that safe a lot of the time.

So what do you guys think? Statistics and crime data aside, do you FEEL like San Francisco is a safe city overall? Could you live in SF for years in a nice district area without being assaulted or having your place broken into? Do you have many friends who have been victims of crimes? Or is all this talk blown out of proportion.

I personally have never felt truly unsafe in SF walking around at night in particular, other than the Tenderloin. The only scary incident I can recall was one at the Metreon in SOMA, where this heroin junkie high as a kite kept following me and my friends around, he was in a dream world but kept staring at us vigorously. We walked away and then he trailed behind us, track marks on the arms and all. Eventually we got into the movie theater, but when we came out (2 hours later!) he was standing downstairs claiming he missed us, and if we would please "help" him out so he could buy us some dope. At the point, we notified security. That was the only negative thing I've experienced, and unfortunately, there does seem to be a lot of unstable wierdos on the streets who are most likely harmless but definitely intimidating.

So overall, I've never felt afraid in SF, but I do get shocked by the crime data I see. Why, in such an affluent and overly-gentrified city, is there this much crime? And how bizarre is it that there could be several housing projects within city limits?

Well anyways, let's start a debate and hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,284 times
I was surprised when I saw the crime rate too, considering everything I've heard about it. Everyone talks about SF being safe and the mayor and police dept. like to play down the crime as they don't want to scare the tourists away.

However - it's not that dangerous. For a big city, its crime rate is about average. Which means you have to do have to watch your back as you do with any big city (except for San Diego, Portland, Denver, San Jose and Seattle) but you're not likely to run into trouble unless you're looking for it...or lost in the Western Addition or the SE part of SF.

However -- many people, who live here or not, are even unwilling to believe that the crime rate is average. Quite a few people I've talked to have the illusion that SF is one of the safest big cities in America! And that is just not the case. Then they follow it up by saying, "well, most crimes happen to people who are looking for trouble" which is true -- but that's also true everywhere. And then when they hear about somebody who got murdered who wasn't looking for trouble -- I have heard on more than one occasion stupid comments like "they must have been a secret gang member" or "they f***ed up."

That being said -- SF, overall, is not really more dangerous (or safer) than most big cities. But there is a groupthink of SF being one of the safest cities around, and due to this, I wil say SF more dangerous than most people seem to think it is.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,606,976 times
Maybe it's because I grew up around DC/Baltimore, but I've always felt extremely safe in San Francisco. The fact that SF has less than 100 homicides per year with a population of 800,000 was a huge shock to me. Baltimore has a population of 600,000 and it's homicide total is always 200-300 per year, and was well over 300 in the 90's.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,564 times
Who are the people usually getting murdered in SF though? Homeless people or criminals (drug related)? Or are we talking about hard working, everyday tax paying people?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
SF is a real city, crime still happens just like ny, just like la, just like chicago. I don't think it is safe as Denver or Portland though..

Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Growing up in LA, Miami and NY...SF feels very safe but still lively.

Boston might be safe, but you will definitely be at a higher level of alertness there than in SF. Denver and Portland seem sleepy to me, I love them but they are not comparible to SF imo, they both lack the urban life of a major city.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
San Diego is safe. Portland is safe. Boston is safe. Denver is safe.

But San Francisco?

While it still might be one of the most expensive cities to live in here in the USA, there's a lot of evidence that shows that many crimes occurr right in some of the city's most chic and upscale neighborhoods. This includes tourist areas at night. In addition, many people in this forum seem to point out that San Francisco doesn't feel that safe a lot of the time.

So what do you guys think? Statistics and crime data aside, do you FEEL like San Francisco is a safe city overall? Could you live in SF for years in a nice district area without being assaulted or having your place broken into? Do you have many friends who have been victims of crimes? Or is all this talk blown out of proportion.

I personally have never felt truly unsafe in SF walking around at night in particular, other than the Tenderloin. The only scary incident I can recall was one at the Metreon in SOMA, where this heroin junkie high as a kite kept following me and my friends around, he was in a dream world but kept staring at us vigorously. We walked away and then he trailed behind us, track marks on the arms and all. Eventually we got into the movie theater, but when we came out (2 hours later!) he was standing downstairs claiming he missed us, and if we would please "help" him out so he could buy us some dope. At the point, we notified security. That was the only negative thing I've experienced, and unfortunately, there does seem to be a lot of unstable wierdos on the streets who are most likely harmless but definitely intimidating.

So overall, I've never felt afraid in SF, but I do get shocked by the crime data I see. Why, in such an affluent and overly-gentrified city, is there this much crime? And how bizarre is it that there could be several housing projects within city limits?

Well anyways, let's start a debate and hear your opinions.
I have never felt unsafe in SF except for one time back in 95 or so...and it was a totally random gang kids pointing a semi automatic weapon at me from a vehicle, while I was exiting my parked car...luckily they were just looking to freak people out, not kill them....(at least not me that is)

but I also grew up and hung out in Alphabet City NYC in the 80's, and lived in DC and hung out in more rough neighborhoods than not...

Other than that one incident which I attribute to an anomaly, for me. I have never felt unsafe in SF ever.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM

35 posts, read 76,209 times
I'm a total newbie who is considering going to SF for a month to visit. I'm checking out the posts in the search function, but want to know what are the truly bad neighborhoods in the SF area? The tenderloin and parts of oakland are bad. what else should a person look out for? Keep in mind I'd be using public transit, so I might have to wait at bus stops for half an hour at times.

I was in San Diego a month ago and got invited to a rock concert at night. However after researching it I found out it was in the middle of the worst ghetto in the city. So I declined. But I want to make sure I don't end up in a situation like that.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,380,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Chung Hee View Post
I'm a total newbie who is considering going to SF for a month to visit. I'm checking out the posts in the search function, but want to know what are the truly bad neighborhoods in the SF area? The tenderloin and parts of oakland are bad. what else should a person look out for? Keep in mind I'd be using public transit, so I might have to wait at bus stops for half an hour at times.

I was in San Diego a month ago and got invited to a rock concert at night. However after researching it I found out it was in the middle of the worst ghetto in the city. So I declined. But I want to make sure I don't end up in a situation like that.
If you are invited to a rock concert by some friends and you research the area for crime first....that's no way to live life. Tenderloin is a bad area of SF, but I used to go there all the time because there are some amazing restaurants there. Use common sense and don't look like a victim and you will be fine. The main ghettos I found in SF were Hunters Point and Tenderloin, but there is no reason you would end up in Hunters Point. Tenderloin is GHETTO, but it actually isn't that bad once you get used to the scenery. There is so much car traffic, if worst case scenario, you could run into the middle of the street and wave a car down lol.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM

426 posts, read 791,392 times
Park Chung Hee,
Where was the Rock Concert located in SD? Most of the venues in SD are pretty darn safe!! I don't know much about SF, but every visit there i've never felt unsafe. But then again I have gone traveling to Europe by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland