Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 AM

29 posts, read 75,456 times

Advertisements

We are going for a vacation in san Francisco for 6-7 days during Christmas time...

1. what is there to do during this time? Are any restaurants, attractions, etc open during this time 24th Dec 2009 to the 1st Jan 2010.. We might not be there exactly during this time... but was wondering if staying around this 2 areas is more convenient.

2. What is nearest to the public transportation?

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
We too are vacationing soon in a few months....I found the Serrano Hotel in Union Square to be a nice location/hotel. Have stayed in Kimpton Hotels in other cities and love them. I don't think you will have any problems whatsoever finding restaurants open during those dates.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I always direct my friends and family to stay in one of the fine hotels around Union Square (I recommend the Nikko or the Westin) as it is central to everything downtown SF. Public transportation and Restaurants are plentiful.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
My parents just visited San Francisco for the first time since I moved here last year and I showed them around.

There is a cute boutique hotel at the corner of Union Sqaure and the Gate to Chinatown called Hotel Triton that is really cute and quite affordable. It's within walking distance to all the fine shopping and obviously Chinatown WITH EASE. I highly recommend.

Fisherman's Warf is neat for tourists for a day, maybe two... but it's not an area I would want to spend 6-7 days at. Definitely go down there, but know that it's just a very small part of the actual San Francisco experience. I feel odd being down there because I prefer to be in some of the neighborhoods that are maybe a bit less touristy.

The nice thing about being around Union Square, on the other hand, is its more central location. The Castro, Twin Peaks, The Mission, Bernal Heights, Chinatown, etc, are all much, much closer. But this is just my own preference, but I'm sort of pretending that you're visiting me and I'm showing you around and these would be the things I would recommend.

If you were to visit, I would recommend that you go see the following, regardless of how the hell you got there:

Bernal Heights: One of my favorite neighborhoods in San Francisco. Go just south of Market and hang a right on Mission Street. Mission Street curves off the south and goes through the heart of the Inner and Outer Mission packed with restaurants, shops, vegetable stands - super vibrant neighborhood. Go left on Courtland (a few miles down the road from Market) and you'll go up a hill - that's the heart of Bernal Heights. There's a really cute breakfast place, a great book store, a bar called the Stray Bar, where you can bring your pets in as you drink. Cute, quiet, more middle class neighborhood. Go left on to any of the streets off of Courtland and drive to the very top of the hill (or walk), and go up Bernal Hill. Breathtaking view of the city with pretty much a 360 degree view of the City. (For more fun in the Mission, see: Mission Delores Park, Valencia, etc)

In the same vein, one of my favorite places to take someone (especially at night) is Twin Peaks. It's quite easy to get there - check a map. Go southwest on Market Street away from downtown and essentially just follow the same road you're on - up a hill and the name of the road will change but you won't make 1 turn aside from directed curves. Your first real turn will be a right on Twin Peaks. You'll take it to the end and find a place to park. Amazing view of the city. At night, I could just stare off for hours.

Other parks I'd check out: Alamo Square (Postcard Row), Mission Delores, Buena Vista, Glen Canyon Park, Golden Gate, Ocean Beach (especially at night).

Another of our favorite neighborhoods is The Castro. Simply take Market Street southwest to Castro, make a left (these aren't for car directions - driving a car in SF isn't always so easy, especially around Market). Gorgeous victorians in the area with a vibrant downtown on Castro. It's just a fun neighborhood to walk around in - there's a great Thai restaurant on the western side of Castro.

There's plenty more, but I'll let others give you their ideas - those are just some of my favorites.

If you rent a car, I'd recommend quite a few Oakland neighborhoods as well as a trip to Muir Woods. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 11-06-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I recommend visiting the Cable Car Museum (which is located near Chinatown). It is kind of neat to see how the cable cars work. Also visiting Chinatown is nice.
Besides that for great views of SF, you can go to Coit Tower or the glass elevator at the Fairmont Hotel (in Nob Hill) or the rotating bar on top of the Marriott Hotel in the Financial District.
The Japanese Tea Garden is another nice place to visit.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 PM

23 posts, read 163,019 times
Will you have a car? I'm guessing not, since parking in downtown/touristy areas can get pretty expensive.

I'd stay in the Union Square area, or go a little south to like the Marriott on 4th and Market. You're near the Westfield Center (big mall downtown), near Union Square, and you can take the cute street trolley to Castro and Fisherman's Wharf. If you want to take a little day trip around the city, rent one of those 2-people go-carts, it's a GPS guided tour where you drive around in a talking go-kart, though you drive with normal traffic.

I'm sure even over Xmas/New year break, some places will be open in the busy areas.

I think in Fisherman's Wharf, you can even take a Segway tour, but I'd stick with the go-carts.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM

50 posts, read 168,073 times
I took two trips to San Fran this year. My first trip was six days and my second one was eight days. I highly recommend staying in Union Square over Fisherman's Wharf. Union Square is much more centrally located and closer to a better variety of restaurants, stores and public transportation.

Fisherman's Wharf gets old after about an hour and quite honestly the area has become my least favorite thing to do when I am there. I did the Alcatraz night tour when I was there the first time and enjoyed it a great deal! The second time I went to Fisherman's Wharf was only because I had to get a particular coffee mug for my mom that I found in one of the gift shops there. I promised her that I would so she would quit eyeing mine.

After I grabbed the mug and a bite to eat, I exited. I find the neighborhoods much more interesting to visit and chill in. My favs are The Mission, The Haight (upper and lower), Japantown and Hayes Valley. North Beach is a cool spot, too. A trip out to Wine Country is definitely worth it as well. My friend and I hit Sonoma and had a wine tasting out there.

I stayed at the Serrano during my first visit and The Hotel Mark Twain my second. I recommend the Serrano as the beds are far more comfortable and the walls aren't nearly as thin.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
1) December is usually rain and fog but that's usually

2) There is public transportation every other block. I love the classic Trollies on the F route and the ferries.

3) Take the 38 bus to the end of the line and walk down the hill to the Cliff house, overlooking the Ocean. Good place for dinner.

4) You can rent a ZIPCAR by the hour and drive over to the Marin Headlands

5) The Ferry to Jack London Square in Oakland is good too. Some good resturants there and Oakland Chinatown a few blocks away

Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Of the two I think that Union Square would be far superior as a place to stay than Fisherman's Wharf. More central, more stuff going on, not nearly as touristy, better selection of hotels.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Fisherman's is probably quieter, if that matters (and it does to some people).

I've stayed around Union, North Beach-Fisherman's, near the border to Tenderloin, and in Upper-Lombard, and all of them have their good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland