Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to SF from Dallas, TX. I did expect things to cost more here but not too the extent I am actually noticing. Few things are cheaper here: alcohol, fresh produce/fruit (much better quality too) and cheap but tasty restaurant food options. But everything else, even usual day to day household stuff, groceries (particularly processed food/frozen food) cost almost twice that of Dallas. Am I going to the wrong stores? It almost looks like eating out at the small restaurants and cafes are actually cheaper than eating at home!

What kind of stores sell good quality chicken, deli meat, fish etc at a cheaper price than Safeway? Where to you shop for processed foods like bread, canned stuff, frozen food, cereals etc?

The price is not so high that I am struggling but I definitely don't want to waste money in expensive stores if cheaper options are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I recently moved to SF from Dallas, TX. I did expect things to cost more here but not too the extent I am actually noticing. Few things are cheaper here: alcohol, fresh produce/fruit (much better quality too) and cheap but tasty restaurant food options. But everything else, even usual day to day household stuff, groceries (particularly processed food/frozen food) cost almost twice that of Dallas. Am I going to the wrong stores? It almost looks like eating out at the small restaurants and cafes are actually cheaper than eating at home!

What kind of stores sell good quality chicken, deli meat, fish etc at a cheaper price than Safeway? Where to you shop for processed foods like bread, canned stuff, frozen food, cereals etc?

The price is not so high that I am struggling but I definitely don't want to waste money in expensive stores if cheaper options are available.
Well -- I shop at Costco in bulk for canned stuff and IQF chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs) -- prices can't be beaten. I find that you can get better produce prices and better produce at Nob Hill supermarket. We also shop at Grocery Outlets for cereals, lunchmeats and snacks and some baking things like chocolate chips. (I've decided I prefer milk chocolate to Semi-sweet).

We also hit bakery thrift stores -- it's not just Wonderbread and Twinkies. Sometimes you can get great sourdough at the Rainbo outlet in Oakland. And we have a Orowheat/Entemann's in San Leandro. Along with a Ghiradelli chocolate outlet. Yummy.... and you can get unwrapped oops dirt cheap.

Your best bet is to make a price book to keep track of what you use and how much it costs to buy everywhere.

I can't help you with processed foods. I've yet to find a frozen anything I like -- usually too much onion.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
For fish, poultry, some produce..try the Asian markets or even the farmer's markets.

For other stuff like shampoo etc..Target is a good choice (there's one in Daly City) and if you check the Sunday paper, there's coupons and the weekly sale ads as well.

Trader Joe's is very good for prices also..there's a few in the City. Safeway's prices are ridiculous..try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. Try to avoid processed, frozen meals and convenience food/sodas/chips- not good for you anyway! (the mom in me requires the lecture!)

Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Costco

Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Try out Smart & Final as well. They are a warehouse store that doesn't require a membership, and I've always been very happy with the quality of all the meats, especially for the prices they charge!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:

Super Markets are terribly expensive in San Francisco, that's why no one shops there. Your corner Produce Market or Butcher Shop are where to go.
Yes it is often cheaper to get take away than to bother preparing a meal.
My wife and I always joked about not needing a car or a refrigerator. Trader Joes or Smart and Final were the best place for the items you mentioned.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Super Markets are terribly expensive in San Francisco, that's why no one shops there.
If no one shops there why are the ones in the city always jam packed with long lines and no parking?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If no one shops there why are the ones in the city always jam packed with long lines and no parking?
Where I lived Cala Closed, Albertson's Closed, That left Safeway and most people I knew didn't go there. People who depend on SuperMarkets are trying to impose a Suburban/ Car Dependent, lifestyle on the City

Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Am I going to the wrong stores? It almost looks like eating out at the small restaurants and cafes are actually cheaper than eating at home!

For cheaper prices on fresh seafood try the 99 Ranch Market in Daly City. For chicken the Safeway on Webster just south of Geary frequently has better deals and more extensive stocking of the sale items than other Safeways. Safeway prices are high. Unfortunately their competition in the city like Luckys or Delanos are even higher priced. Sometimes Safeway does have some good deals on their Safeway Card sale items.

There are four Trader Joes in the city. The one on Masonic is a parking nightmare and it is easier to park a few blocks away and walk in. I prefer the Trader Joes in Daly City.

For good quality beef the last remaining Cala foods on California street is the place to go. They are the only supermarket to regularly stock USDA Choice grade at decent prices. Much better than the inferior select/good grade beef found at the other chains. Cala's parent company is Kroger and they have some other brands not found in the other supermarkets. Be sure to sign up for the store card to get their sale prices.

For good prices on household items it is necessary to leave the city to go to Target. The two closet ones are at Serramonte Mall and the other one close to it in Colma. There is also a Target at Tanforan Mall in San Bruno. This one has two floors and seems to stock more food items.

For produce items the 22nd/Irving store is great. Noriega Produce at 45th and Noriega is also a great store and has some good prices on organic items.

If you want to splurge on the high end the Bi-Rite Market on 18th is one of the best little gourmet markets in the city.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where I lived Cala Closed, Albertson's Closed, That left Safeway and most people I knew didn't go there. People who depend on SuperMarkets are trying to impose a Suburban/ Car Dependent, lifestyle on the City
Odd, everyone I know now and those that I grew up with had families that shopped at supermarkets for the majority of their food. Sounds like you might have lived in a bubble. The only butcher shop I even know of was Bryan's meats on California in Laurel Village and Guerra's meats on Taraval. There actually are very few traditional butcher shops in the City..

I suppose since you didn't shop like a car dependent suburbanite, then you couldn't know how busy and how packed the parking lots are. I personally did most of my shopping at my local Safeway, Super May Wah, and Trader Joe's. (and the occasional Andronico's when I wanted something special) but according to you, I'm a rarity, lol. I think you're trying to impose some ideal of the way things should be, and not actually very knowledgeable about the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland