Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 17,059 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

If you are a young professional (30's) and will start working in Marin county, where would you live considering the following factors:

- have previously lived in San Francisco for a few years before moving out of state
- don't care for the city's intensity or traffic (used to live as far west as the N Judah line would go), but really love the ethnic food and shopping (Clement street in the Richmond, Little Japan, Irving Street, etc)
- also don't really care for Sausalito's seafront scene- more of an inland person, but enjoy sandy beaches like Ocean Beach and Fort Funston.
- Have 2 dogs (love the dog exercise area in Fort Funston)
- Never lived in Marin county before and concerned about what to do for fun
- outdoorsy person, love nature, laid back, not high maintenance, very easy going. Enjoy Napa, Lake Tahoe, biking, hiking with dogs, etc.
- Single and would like to be able to find entertainment easily (movies, places to hang out, coffee shop with a personality, etc... those seem easy to find in San Francisco. I don't know about Marin)
- Will rent for now, not sure if home ownership is a realistic goal given California's current economic situation.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by Golden810; 11-29-2009 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 AM

205 posts, read 589,151 times
Just one thing to keep in mind... The Golden Gate toll ...It is currently $6.00 and they are considering future hikes.

Golden Gate Bridge toll to rise $1 to $6 cash, to $5 ET on Sept 1 | TOLLROADSnews

Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks Yvetta! I think I may lean toward Marin County. It looks like the rent there is actually lower than SF itself. I hope there will be sufficient social scene though...

Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden810 View Post
Hello forum,

If you are a young professional (30's) and will start working in Marin county, where would you live considering the following factors:

- have previously lived in San Francisco for a few years before moving out of state
- don't care for the city's intensity or traffic (used to live as far west as the N Judah line would go), but really love the ethnic food and shopping (Clement street in the Richmond, Little Japan, Irving Street, etc)
- also don't really care for Sausalito's seafront scene- more of an inland person, but enjoy sandy beaches like Ocean Beach and Fort Funston.
- Have 2 dogs (love the dog exercise area in Fort Funston)
- Never lived in Marin county before and concerned about what to do for fun
- outdoorsy person, love nature, laid back, not high maintenance, very easy going. Enjoy Napa, Lake Tahoe, biking, hiking with dogs, etc.
- Single and would like to be able to find entertainment easily (movies, places to hang out, coffee shop with a personality, etc... those seem easy to find in San Francisco. I don't know about Marin)
- Will rent for now, not sure if home ownership is a realistic goal given California's current economic situation.

Thank you all for your help!
There is plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do in Marin, but other than that it has got to be one of the most boring places there is. Where in Marin are you working? San Rafael has a pretty good downtown area that makes the city feel bigger than it actually is, plus there are some really good live music venues in Fairfax on occasion and San Anselmo is quite the charming little town.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Thanks gogetta!!

I looked at Downtown San Rafael - and it does look like there are a number of good restaurants. San Francisco definitely has a lot, but I can go into the City on weekends. That way I can enjoy some peace and quiet, and still be close to SF's offerings.

Thanks!!:-)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I think you can find everything you want in Marin County, yes, San Rafeal would be a good match I would think.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland