Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kense View Post
Only a sheltered out of towner would think an entire city of 400k people that covers a huge area is a "dump".
Yup, Just like Detroit. 900k people there.

Quote:
The median home price here does not reflect a "dump".
It sure does when compared to the rest of the Bay Area.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 PM

111 posts, read 156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Yup, Just like Detroit. 900k people there.

It sure does when compared to the rest of the Bay Area.
It's obvious you're doing the usual trolling attempting to argue for the sake of argument. Comparing Oakland to Detroit, proves you're doing this to be a sarcastic moron, or because you have no idea about either place. It's a combo of the two with you. Oakland home value is higher than the bay area as a whole, You're going on ignore.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Oakland home value is higher than the bay area as a whole, You're going on ignore.
O'RLY? How about posting (reliable) stats rather than just saying things. Probably because you don't have any.

I am 99.9% sure the median home value of Oakland is lower than most cities in the Bay. Maybe with the exceptions of say Richmond, Hayward or Vallejo.

Certified dump status.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
This Kense fellow sure likes to exaggerate. Oakland is a dump and I don't see many people who are wanting to actually move there. I remember when Oakland won the AFC Championship back in 2002 or so, and the rioting that resulted.

Damn that city is just a trash can, but worse.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM

111 posts, read 156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
This Kense fellow sure likes to exaggerate. Oakland is a dump and I don't see many people who are wanting to actually move there. I remember when Oakland won the AFC Championship back in 2002 or so, and the rioting that resulted.

WTF do you know? You live in suburbia of Orange County.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Wow you really got me there.

Isn't that like someone driving a Chevy Caprice making fun of another guy for driving a BMW M3?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:

I remember I similar thing happening in Boston when the Patriots won too. Except in one of those riots, people were killed.

Anyway, what's your experience with Oakland for you to have this opinion of it?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM

I was a PhD student at Berkeley many years ago, renting a $400 studio on Dwight near Telegraph.

I used to hear distant gun shots and knew exactly where they were coming from.

Driving into Oakland once in while to visit friends was a nightmare. One particularly precarious time, I was driving into West Oakland, and saw a few individuals at the street corner looking very menacing. I tried to beat the light but unfortunately it turned red on me.

I looked over at the individuals and all of them were looking directly at me. I tried to act cool, but then all of a sudden they all started walking over to my car!

Luckily, Oakland has no semblance of law enforcement in the area, and I reluctantly broke the law by running the red light and high tailing it out of there.

Oakland is no better than a post-apocalyptic city that you see in all those movies like Mad Max.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I was a PhD student at Berkeley many years ago, renting a $400 studio on Dwight near Telegraph.

I used to hear distant gun shots and knew exactly where they were coming from.

Driving into Oakland once in while to visit friends was a nightmare. One particularly precarious time, I was driving into West Oakland, and saw a few individuals at the street corner looking very menacing. I tried to beat the light but unfortunately it turned red on me.

I looked over at the individuals and all of them were looking directly at me. I tried to act cool, but then all of a sudden they all started walking over to my car!

Luckily, Oakland has no semblance of law enforcement in the area, and I reluctantly broke the law by running the red light and high tailing it out of there.

Oakland is no better than a post-apocalyptic city that you see in all those movies like Mad Max.
Fair enough but I have a couple of issues with what you said:

1. How many years ago was this?

2. If you were near Dwight and Telegraph and heard gun shots, are you sure you knew where they were coming from? That's too far from the Oakland city limit to hear anything coming out of Oakland and certainly far enough away from the nearest bad area in Oakland (West Oakland) to hear anything.

The nearest those gun shots could have been would have been in west Berkeley somewhere, most likely below (west) of San Pablo avenue but maybe near Sacramento St. However this still depends on the time period you are talking about. Even then, that distance still has me doubting that as it too isn't that close and there's lots of urban noise in Berkeley.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Another thing I'm having trouble with is your remark about driving into Oakland. Exactly what route did you take to get there? Driving into West Oakland first requires you to drive a good distance in Oakland first. Surely you had to have seen the nicer parts or at least not so bad parts of Oakland before you got into West Oakland. Not the nicest parts of Oakland but certainly not too bad either.

Exactly how did you make this trip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland