U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM

2,176 posts, read 2,482,795 times
There is nothing wrong with people having differing opinions.

There is something wrong with a troll that posts with the intention to badger and misinform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Sensitive much? Everyone is entitled to their opinion here. Why attack another poster because you don't agree with his/her perspective?

Oakland has many, many positives, but unfortunately the negatives overshadow for many people who don't live in Oakland. Maybe it's unfamiliarity or unrealistic perceptions or misinformation or history or simply a low tolerance for being anywhere that is perceived as negatively as Oakland is generally perceived. People are sick to death of black-on-black crime, gang-related crime, and so forth, and for many, the best option is to NOT live anywhere near these elements even though these problems exist only in certain parts. Such is life. Not everyone has the type of money to live in the hills where they can comfortably shield themselves from the negatives that portions of Oakland represent. Even those who do have money have many other options. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that.

One day, Oakland may overcome this and people will refer to the Bay Bridge as "connecting" San Francisco with Oakland rather than "separating" Oakland from San Francisco.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM

946 posts, read 1,216,229 times
i moved to oakland with the intention of living in an higher end neighborhood close to my work on the east bay but 15-20 muinutes away from sf were i planned on finding most of my entertainment.i found great neighbors and less interaction with the criminal element than when i lived in pacific height and would wander onto polk street or 26th and mission (because i was told all of sf is safe)

the unexpected pleasant surprise has been the opening of the many new dining establishments and lounges in oakland along with the development of jack london square ,old oakland and uptown.the changes in the last 8 years have been remarkable.and as much as the trolls try to deny it these restaurants and lounges are making the owners successful.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM

12,415 posts, read 10,412,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i moved to oakland with the intention of living in an higher end neighborhood close to my work on the east bay but 15-20 muinutes away from sf were i planned on finding most of my entertainment.i found great neighbors and less interaction with the criminal element than when i lived in pacific height and would wander onto polk street or 26th and mission (because i was told all of sf is safe)

the unexpected pleasant surprise has been the opening of the many new dining establishments and lounges in oakland along with the development of jack london square ,old oakland and uptown.the changes in the last 8 years have been remarkable.and as much as the trolls try to deny it these restaurants and lounges are making the owners successful.
Very true. Whenever I go home to visit, I'm amazed at how much they've done in areas that were once abandoned and run down. There are lots of cool places to eat or just sit and enjoy the sites now.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 PM

11,897 posts, read 10,628,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
There is nothing wrong with people having differing opinions.

There is something wrong with a troll that posts with the intention to badger and misinform.
I think the use of the term "troll" is overused and abused by some when they are irritated with someone's differing point of view. If you have something good to say about Oakland, DO THAT. I for one would love to read that. If someone has a different experience, I want to read about that too. Why continually attack another poster here because you don't agree? Seems petty and off-topic IMO.

What you may feel is misinformation is nevertheless his perspective, however he arrived at it. It's worth reading and he has a right to state it. Quit letting him get under YOUR skin.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,194,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Blacks are moving out of Oakland. They went from 37% to 31% in 8 years. About a 20% drop. Probably replaced by hipsters and yuppies looking for cheaper housing. I guarantee Oakland proper is not their focus.
Isn't this even more pronounced in San Francisco than Oakland?

Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,526,811 times
Quote:
I think the use of the term "troll" is overused and abused by some when they are irritated with someone's differing point of view. If you have something good to say about Oakland, DO THAT. I for one would love to read that. If someone has a different experience, I want to read about that too. Why continually attack another poster here because you don't agree? Seems petty and off-topic IMO.

What you may feel is misinformation is nevertheless his perspective, however he arrived at it. It's worth reading and he has a right to state it. Quit letting him get under YOUR skin.
Why don't you do a search for all of "Bay Dudes" posts before you try to be PC. He is a troll and 99% of his posts are bashing Oakland.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM
rah

3,101 posts, read 5,073,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Isn't this even more pronounced in San Francisco than Oakland?
Oakland went from 37% to 31% since 2000, and SF went from 9% to 7%.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM

334 posts, read 626,360 times
Are there any middle or upper middle class black neighborhoods in Oakland like LA's Ladera Heights, Westchester, or Baldwin Hills?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
Are there any middle or upper middle class black neighborhoods in Oakland like LA's Ladera Heights, Westchester, or Baldwin Hills?
Not exactly no, the area's are more spread around the city. It's not like you'll drive into a certain area and know it's an neighborhood for well off blacks like you would in more known places like Baldwin hills or sugar hill in Harlem.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM

2,176 posts, read 2,482,795 times
Quote:

I'd suggest you take a quick look at this guy's posts before YOU get YOUR panties in a bunch defending him. Move on. We don't need to engage in a debate about someone else's trolling posts. If you're interested in reading what I have to say about Oakland, ask a question or do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland