U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM

390 posts, read 804,160 times
Started new thread on new topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM

99 posts, read 110,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Add on top of that, a control freak big government that wants to regulate every minor aspects of your daily life, how you throw trash, where you can walk, what you can do at a park and so on and on.
OK the whole big goverment stuff is overrated. I do not see the big deal about throwing incentives in or fining people who are just apathetic about the responsibilities that come with living in an urban environment. When private behavior has public consequences it becomes public matter.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,701,387 times
Yet another atrocious murder in this crime-ridden, violent city.. This time again in the so called safe Sunset district. Murder in broad daylight! This is not even in the front page of SF Chronicle.

Man slain outside Sunset restaurant is IDd

Just goes to show how little people care about crime in the city. The newspaper is full of celebrity gossip, lifestyle gossip and news about crime in East Bay. Sooner or later people will realize that they can't hide horrible crime situation with good PR.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 PM

BTW, does anyone know murder count in SF for 2010 so far. Looks like it is going pretty strong. Welcome to the Detroit of west coast! You can get shot at broad day-light once you walk out of your million dollar dump in a foggy neighborhood. It continues to amaze me why anyone in their right mind buys a home in the city.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM

608 posts, read 597,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
The Mission had 4 murders in 2009. For a neighborhood of its size, I don't see that as being unreasonable.
this is the only thing in this WHOLE post that bothers me, 4 murders in one year is entirely unreasonable. 1 murder would be unreasonable. i get that in big cities like that, there is a lot of crime...but any murder at all should never be unreasonable.

that being said i love san francisco, i think its a wonderful place to visit, during the day, but you wouldnt catch me walking around there at night...i just dont trust it. but over the crime, the main reason id never want to live there...is all those damn hills. lol.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 PM

902 posts, read 1,496,278 times
gotigers123-

Yes there may have been only 4 murders in the mission last year, but homicides as a whole were near record lows in the city last year. The previous year the mission saw over 20 homicides I believe.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM

902 posts, read 1,496,278 times
Quote:
BTW, does anyone know murder count in SF for 2010 so far. Looks like it is going pretty strong. Welcome to the Detroit of west coast! You can get shot at broad day-light once you walk out of your million dollar dump in a foggy neighborhood. It continues to amaze me why anyone in their right mind buys a home in the city.
I believe there has been 11 homicides thus far in 2010. BTW SF is no where near as bad as Detroit!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM

1,579 posts, read 3,070,396 times
Quote:
I'm sure people have asked you this before, but in all seriousness, why are you here when you clearly hate SF so much? Seems bad for the soul to live in a place you genuinely dislike as much as you do, that is if your severe dislike for SF is genuine.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,681,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
this is the only thing in this WHOLE post that bothers me, 4 murders in one year is entirely unreasonable. 1 murder would be unreasonable. i get that in big cities like that, there is a lot of crime...but any murder at all should never be unreasonable.
What seems unreasonable to me is living in such a gun- and violence-obsessed culture as ours and believing that murder in any quantity is unreasonable. Unfortunate, yes. But unreasonable? Murder in American cities is entirely reasonable given our love of guns and proclivities to violence.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm sure people have asked you this before, but in all seriousness, why are you here when you clearly hate SF so much?
I live in SF because its close to my work and makes the commute easy. That is all! That does not mean I have to like that ugly, treeless mix of cracked concrete and asphalt called the outer sunset. The only redeeming feature of the area was low crime rate and it does not look like that is the case any more with two murders already this year. Yes as a newcomer, it is also perfectly valid to wonder why people pay so much to live in that neighborhood that is most definitely very third-world like (or worse?) in terms of amenities, architecture and physical infrastructure. I am truly curious about what motivates people to pay so much to live there! Why do people get so defensive and start name-calling whenever I mention the obvious??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland