Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I voted for De La Fuente because he is a wheeler-dealer. He used to come into a business where I worked and was always trying to make a deal... not strong-arm type... he would say something like... "If I can send you 5 customers a month... are you willing to deal?"

I share the frustration over city council actions... I've been to far too many 2 am sessions waiting to speak only to have the item held over a week or two and then again if it looked like it would be controversial.

Some members have no idea about business... period. Nancy always had the same response to any development... "How many jobs will be set aside for my district... how many unskilled construction workers... women and minority will you guarantee jobs... there is more to business than how many set asides can I force.

They dictate and think everyone will fall into line... well, the record has shown how often that doesn't happen. The old Carnation plant is a prime example of a dilapidated eyesore where she has stopped any project cold.

Sorry for the rant... but we are definitly not a friendly city to do business in and it is expensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
....but we are definitely not a friendly city to do business in and it is expensive...

You got that right!!!!!!
What happened it use to not be so difficult? At least Oakland is a bit better to do business in than Richmond.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
De La Fuente is a bit crooked so I hope he doesn't get elected, but I guess all politicians are. Very nice guy in person though.
There are very few good politicians anymore. I hope Oakland get's a good leader in there and helps the city make progress. I think every city including Oakland needs a strong leader who goes back to the basics. Only time will tell...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Wrong, Jerry Brown actually is the one who started the revitalization of Oakland to what we are seeing now. But I'm not surprised you don't get it. You're not from here.
In general Bay Dude is right. Jerry Brown was the exception to the rule. The joker you have as mayor now is more the norm, unfortunately. Although I do hope that changes.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
18Montclair, When it gets to the level of development being halted it is because of $$$$. Also, the people who won't be able to afford these new developments will not be able to afford Oakland when the changes come and won't be in favor of new plans that don't include them.
Since when are low income people ever able to afford to live in brand new housing? It never happens anywhere.....But if you increase the housing supply, that eases the upward pressure on rents and home prices....so lower income people still benefit because ther are more existing housing units to choose from and rents don't go up as fast. But it's true, it's hard to convince people of this because they only think in terms of direct benefits for themeslves.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In general Bay Dude is right. Jerry Brown was the exception to the rule. The joker you have as mayor now is more the norm, unfortunately. Although I do hope that changes.
One thing I absolutely loved about Jerry Brown was his positive attitude about Oakland. He didnt shy away from any opportunity to plug Oakland get the word out that there is lots of potential all over the city.

One of the biggest mistakes he made as mayor imo is not backing the plan to build a baseball stadium in Uptown.

Instead he supported the housing development that was also an improvement, but a new baseball stadium would have been superb-especially considering the arts district that is now emerging around it.

I think the Mayor we have now only ran at the behest of his biggest backers back in Oakland. What a lot of wasted time we've spent on him and his inaction.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Since when are low income people ever able to afford to live in brand new housing? It never happens anywhere.....But if you increase the housing supply, that eases the upward pressure on rents and home prices....so lower income people still benefit because ther are more existing housing units to choose from and rents don't go up as fast. But it's true, it's hard to convince people of this because they only think in terms of direct benefits for themeslves.
As part of the approval process, Oakland requires a percentage of new housing units set-aside for low and moderate income...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Sao Paulo Brazil has way more than 99 murders every year, and its a much bigger world class city than SF.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

^ what does that have to do with anything?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Sao Paulo Brazil has way more than 99 murders every year, and its a much bigger world class city than SF.
True. São Paulo has a much higher homicide count than San Francisco.

Please keep in mind tho that São Paulo has nearly 12 Million people in its city limits.

In fact if we look at homicide rates:
San Francisco 98 homicides in 2008/ 12.2 per 100,000
São Paulo, Brasil 1700 homicides in 2007/ 14.1 per 100,000

Quote:
At 15 per 100,000 in 2005, the criminal homicide rate in São Paulo has not yet quite reached the levels achieved by New York City (seven in 2004). But it compares very favorably with the rates reported by Detroit (42), Baltimore (44) and Washington, D.C. (36) in the same year.

The Unsung Story of São Paulo’s Murder Rate Drop - NAM

What's happening in is similar to what happened to New York. Like NY, SP is by far the largest city in the country and like NY, SP has experienced the biggest drop in crime and homicides in decades. In 2001 São Paulo had 5,700 homicides and in 2007 that number has dropped to 1,700.

I think it has to do with Brazil's economic success, which has been pretty tangible as of late.

Don't get me wrong. São Paulo still has a very serious crime problem. I wouldnt recommend walking(or driving btw) around many areas of São Paulo at night-especially the favelas(shantytowns) which today house 7% of the city's residents.

Anyway, most Paulistanos(thats what people from SP are called) excercise street smarts and do just fine.

Anyway, hope this helps shed light on São Paulo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland