Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 AM

205 posts, read 589,115 times

Advertisements

Homicides in San Francisco, 2007-2009

In 2008, there were 99* homicides recorded in San Francisco, one more than the previous decade high of 98 in 2007.

However, Tourism is at an all time high because it is a beautiful city.

My point is.. Every big city in America ( and some not so big) has a significant homicide rate. It is the times we live in.

FOUR police officers were murdered in Parkland WA, and that is a small city.

Therefore, if you want to single Oakland out.. do your homework and be fair and accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
Homicides in San Francisco, 2007-2009

In 2008, there were 99* homicides recorded in San Francisco, one more than the previous decade high of 98 in 2007.

However, Tourism is at an all time high because it is a beautiful city.

My point is.. Every big city in America ( and some not so big) has a significant homicide rate. It is the times we live in.

FOUR police officers were murdered in Parkland WA, and that is a small city.

Therefore, if you want to single Oakland out.. do your homework and be fair and accurate.
Good point. According to this link, San Francisco has only had 44 homicides this year (as of 11/30/09). So the murder tally should be much lower than 2008's total.

Also, according to the link, Oakland's murder tally YTD is 101, which is lower than the 115 at the same time last year.

http://sfist.com/2009/11/30/oakland_marks_100th_and_101st_homic.php

San Jose's murder total YTD is 25, slightly lower than the total at the same time last year.

Homicide Investigations Unit

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Quote:
In 2008, there were 99* homicides recorded in San Francisco... Every big city in America ( and some not so big) has a significant homicide rate. It is the times we live in
San Diego had 55 homicides in 2008, that's half the number of homicides and twice the population. 26 in Portland, 29 in Seattle (both almost as big as SF proper). Irvine has 200 thousand residents (basically half the Oakland and one quarter of SF), and there was a total of 1 (one) murder there in 2008.

Truth is, SF is one of the most dangerous large cities on the West Coast, and Oakland is probably THE most dangerous large city in the country, competing for that "honor" with Richmond, DC and New Orleans.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post

Truth is, SF is one of the most dangerous large cities on the West Coast, and Oakland is probably THE most dangerous large city in the country, competing for that "honor" with Richmond, DC and New Orleans.
Co-sign.

BTW I don't deny cities like SF are dangerous, they certainly are. In fact I don't really like SF or Oakland all that much. But Oakland is overall more problematic and dangerous. Not to play down the horrible things that happen in SF. I live in the "suburbs" of these cities and an perfectly comfortable with my "suburban" experience.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Most of the murders in SF are in a few really bad areas (although there are a scattering of them elsewhere). FWIW ... YMMV.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
On the other thread about Oakland Crime/Murders, a poster had a good point in saying that crimes in SF seem to be more random than Oakland crime as Oakland elements tend to be concentrated and I tend to agree with that statement. The most deceptive thing about SF/Oakland you can be in an unsavory area and not even know it because it appears to be nice.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
According to the FBI, SF had 100 murders in 2007. The count was originally 98 on the FBI stats, but about a year and a half ago they revised it to 100. The SFPD still won't change their count to 100 though...which i find ironic, because the FBI stats come from the SFPD. So it seems the SFPD gave the correct stats to the FBI, but at the same time, won't cange their count to 100 when they make statements for say, SFgate, or other news outlets...i guess they don't want tourists to be scared by the magical 3-digit number of 100, or something?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
According to the FBI, SF had 100 murders in 2007. The count was originally 98 on the FBI stats, but about a year and a half ago they revised it to 100. The SFPD still won't change their count to 100 though...which i find ironic, because the FBI stats come from the SFPD. So it seems the SFPD gave the correct stats to the FBI, but at the same time, won't cange their count to 100 when they make statements for say, SFgate, or other news outlets...i guess they don't want tourists to be scared by the magical 3-digit number of 100, or something?
Yeah, scare the tourist from venturing out of the city over to Oakland and keep them inside city limits spending money in SF.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Yeah, scare the tourist from venturing out of the city over to Oakland and keep them inside city limits spending money in SF.
Oakland really needs to market itself better when it comes to tourism. If you ever pick up a SF guide book, it may mention Oakland in the "rest of the Bay Area" section, but it really under-emphasizes what the city has to offer. Frommer's [briefly] talks about Lake Merritt and Jack London Square, but that's about it. No mention of Rockridge, Piedmont, Uptown, or Chinatown. It's a shame because with BART connecting them so easily, the two cities should really be marketing themselves as one big destination. Baltimore gets a ton of spillover tourism from DC. Oakland should be getting the same thing, if not more since it has a direct subway link into San Francisco.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Oakland really needs to market itself better when it comes to tourism. If you ever pick up a SF guide book, it may mention Oakland in the "rest of the Bay Area" section, but it really under-emphasizes what the city has to offer. Frommer's [briefly] talks about Lake Merritt and Jack London Square, but that's about it. No mention of Rockridge, Piedmont, Uptown, or Chinatown. It's a shame because with BART connecting them so easily, the two cities should really be marketing themselves as one big destination. Baltimore gets a ton of spillover tourism from DC. Oakland should be getting the same thing, if not more since it has a direct subway link into San Francisco.
It is amusing especially since Baltimore is much more dangerous than Oakland despite what the crime statistics show. They do have great seafood though. Oakland needs a new mayor bad that can actually help improve the cities image. I wish the 49ers and Raiders would build a shared stadium by the old Oakland Army base. I think that could be good for Oakland's reputation, mainly because they are working on cleaning up that section of West Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland