Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM

137 posts, read 429,074 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys. Definitely going to check out those areas. WC sounds great if itls that accessible to the city by BART.

I can't stand the drivers in denver. Drive so stincking clo and in the left lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle06 View Post
How about the culture though. Active? Lots of people out riding bikes on the trails/roads, running, etc? Is it safe to assume if we lived in one of these areas we would be within 1/2 hour of good trails for running and mountain biking? I found a website that seems to indicate there is a plethora of trails in the area.

Obviously the ocean is something we don't have here but my wife and I have both outgrown the whole beach scene. Would enjoy sailing though and hitting some trails that run along the coast.
You are correct, there is a hard core outdoor culture here. Just for grins, you might want to spend a long weekend. Stay in the City but also head south, into the Santa Cruz Mountains with a rented mountain bike in tow. You will not be disappointed. I live down here in the foothills thereof, in Central San Mateo County. I can ride out my driveway and within a few minutes reach a trail and lightly traveled road network that spans the entire back country, from San Bruno to Santa Cruz, from Sunnyvale to Half Moon Bay.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 AM

That area sounds great. What cities should I look at in San Mateo county?

We're coming out for a week so I should have plenty of time to explore.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
I agree that Marin County is THE spot for outdoor activities, but the 680-corridor (WC, Pleasant Hill, San Ramon, etc) will feel more like suburban Denver. I grew up out there, and it is VERY outdoorsy. Lots of mountain biking, hiking, swimming, tennis, golf, boating on the Delta in the summer, etc. The weather out there is absolutely amazing except right about now (Dec/Jan are relatively chilly and cloudy, though not cold compared to Denver of course). You will enjoy the outdoors a lot.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
That area sounds great. What cities should I look at in San Mateo county?

We're coming out for a week so I should have plenty of time to explore.
For riding - Portola Valley, Woodside, La Honda, and the vast unincorporated areas between.

For living (unless mega wealthy) - Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, San Mateo, Half Moon Bay, Montara, Millbrae, Brisbane (these are all mid end places, nice, without too much in the way of grit, but not complete bank breakers either).

Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
In regards to the mountains, it MAY be more similar to Denver and Colorado than you would think depending on what you value in mountains. For me, I always enjoy looking at mountains shooting up out of the ground and also hiking or driving up in them and looking down at civilization below. For that, the key variable is increase in elevation from where most of the population base is to the height of the peek of the mountains. That is often very similar or even GREATER in many areas of California than it is in Colorado. Remember, Denver itself is basically on the plains and is fairly flat. But, that flat, plains territory still has a baseline elevation in excess of 5,000 feet. The nearby mountains within view of the city are 8-9,000 feet. What people looking at the mountains into the distance see is an increase in elevation of around 4,000 feet. Many places in California sit at sea level but have a direct view of mountain ranges in excess of 4,000 feet. Which is the same increase as that visible in CO. A similar-though even more dramatic-effect is visible in Hawaii. One can sit at sea level and view mountains of several thousand feet. The effect, visually, is often more dramatic than that of either California or Colorado. This even though the total elevation number is greater in Colorado.

Now, if your main enjoyment of mountains revolves around snow and snow-based recreation, than the elevation figure is one of the most important things. In that case, the Mammoth mountain area in the Sierra Nevada range is the only place in CA that can really even compete with anything in Colorado.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
For riding - Portola Valley, Woodside, La Honda, and the vast unincorporated areas between.

For living (unless mega wealthy) - Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, San Mateo, Half Moon Bay, Montara, Millbrae, Brisbane (these are all mid end places, nice, without too much in the way of grit, but not complete bank breakers either).
Will the weather in these areas be more similar to the city (fog, cool) or San Jose?

Is it the mountain range on the peninsula that makes the major difference? So Half-Moon Bay will be similar to the city but Millbrae will be warmer?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Will the weather in these areas be more similar to the city (fog, cool) or San Jose?
Depends, see below.

Quote:
Is it the mountain range on the peninsula that makes the major difference? So Half-Moon Bay will be similar to the city but Millbrae will be warmer?
You are largely correct, the Santa Cruz Mountains (the actual name of the range) shape and direct the marine layer, during the "summer" (e.g. the time of the year, generally between May and October, when we are dominated by the Hawaiian / Pacific High). Firstly, unless the marine layer is especially thick, the inversion will lie below the summits of the part of the range south of ~ King's Mountain. That effectively prevents the fog from going over the top. Secondly, there are fog gaps at certain points - essentially passes, below the inversion level. Fog can come through these (and of course the wind funnels through as well - during "summer" the wind is generally Westerly). The Golden Gate is a sort of fog gap on steroids. Bottom line, fog / wind degree is generally less toward SJ and more toward SF, and, downwind of fog gaps. Fog gaps in addition to the Golden Gate are the San Bruno gap, the San Mateo Gap and a more minor one at Windy Hill (near Palo Alto).

Caveat #1 - if the wind turns southerly during "summer" we can get what's known as a southerly surge, in which case the fog actually can come through the Pajaro River Valley down by Gilroy and come up from the South, with SJ actually having more fog than other places.

Caveat #2 - if the marine layer exceeds 3000 feet, there is nothing to stop the fog - that's when it will fail to burn off throughout the area.

Caveat #3 - even in areas prone to fog, the stratus generally burns off back to the beach by noonish.

Caveat #4 - an offshore wind means no fog at all, and it could actually be warmer at the beach than inland.

Oh and also, on the valley floor / by the Bay, that Westerly gets curved into a Northwesterly and really picks up in the PM. So, time any long ride in the flatlands to head N and / or W in the AM so you can return with the wind at your back.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
To summarize the detailed (but accurate) weather synopsis, yes, HMB will generally be similar to SF's coastal climate (fog, cool), while the areas farther inland and south down the peninsula will be noticeably sunnier and warmer.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM

I've been checking out Marin County. Looks perfect. Weather looks pretty cool though? Does it remain sunny? My wife can tolerate colder weather as long as it's sunny. That's why she loves it here in Denver.

Looks like the commute really isn't that bad to the city either although that bridge toll would get expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland