Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Or Miami, Philly, D.C....maybe it beats Boston and Baltimore.

S.F. is a great city but its nightlife is blah compared to most east coast cities. In NYC, Philly or Miami things don't even get started until 1am.
SF rolls into bed by midnight so it can get up at dawn to jog or do yoga.

NYC parties until 4AM and sleeps in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Obviously since you dislike SF so much, and it's "too dead and scary" for you, maybe TEXAS is really where you should be.
> Well maybe you can stop the lecturing and take a closer look at SF for what it is! Being in denial does not really help. I guess living in a tiny rent-controlled dump for years and without the financial means to move to nicer places takes a toll on the intellect!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Obviously since you dislike SF so much, and it's "too dead and scary" for you, maybe TEXAS is really where you should be.
> Well maybe you can stop the lecturing and take a closer look at SF for what it is! Being in denial does not really help. I guess living in a tiny rent-controlled dump for years and without the financial means to move to nicer places takes a toll on the intellect!

Hey, I just call'em like I see 'em.
I am not in denial, unlike yourself, I think, SF is obviously not the city for you.
Not everyone on here is exactly like you, we didn't just get here,
most of us have been in SF for decades.
That's kind of the point, it is called a 'forum'.

You started this thread asking for help,
everyone here has tried point out the obvious spots that you are missing in SF, and yet you just continue to complain...how ungrateful and whiny of you.

nice.

"don't let the door hit you on your way out"

Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
SF is a tofu and veggie mixed grill with a glass of wine made with biodynamically grown grapes.

NYC is a reuben with a side of cole slaw and a beer to wash it down.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
^lol

For me it's more like SF is a giant, greasy, $5 burrito bought at 2 a.m in the Mission District, washed down with an Anchor Steam Beer that you bought right before the 2 a.m. alcohol cut off

Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 PM

334 posts, read 1,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
SF rolls into bed by midnight so it can get up at dawn to jog or do yoga.
I totally agree with this.

Here are some reasons why I always thought SF is an early city. First off...compared to other major cities the population is pretty small so there are fewer people in each group. I have given this some thought, but I think people are either:

1. into the extreme outdoor exercise, uber-fit lifestyles, like mountain biking, rock climbing, training for a triathalon, ashtanga yoga (the type done in 100 degree heat), which is all done during the day so they don't sleep in or go out late. Many people are wearing their outdoor, athletic type apparel all the time. Think northface parkas, yoga pants, jeans, or pants w/ a lot of pockets in weird places, and some type of funky athletic looking jogging/hiking hybrid type shoe. I notice transplants who are super favorable about SF always highlight the proximity to outdoor nature and recreation and organic food. People who move here and are not into nature oriented recreation or organic food, while expecting a fast paced urban lifestyle with 24/7 amenities everywhere all the time, will be disappointed.

2. pot heads or other anti-social recreational drug users. They probably only leave their homes to buy food, work, score drugs, or commune with nature. Otherwise, they stay home to blog in their online journal, or play video games. Even in San Francisco, while many people use drugs in public, most people probably prefer to take their drugs in the privacy of their own home.

3. old people. There is probably a huge percentage of retirees, empty nesters, and general old people living in San Francisco that is much bigger than we may be aware of or give consideration to, and either own their homes outright or live in rent controlled houses, who can't afford to move because they've been here forever, or recently bought a place so they can shop, dine, and go to the theater. Again...if they are old, they are probably going home after curtain call.

4. work in the financial industry on NY time. These people are going to bed by 9 or 10PM to be at work by 5AM. So there goes many many yuppie frat/sorority types who would otherwise be staying out late partying, lounging, and taking long dinners with friends.

5. activists. I don't think activists are late night people since the majority of the protesting and things they like to do take place during the day. I would guess activists probably meet for coffee in the AM, then head over to the protest, break for lunch in shifts, reconvene for more protesting while waiting for the media to show up, then once they are satisfied they got the attention they were hoping for, they break for an early dinner. Evenings are probably spent planning protests, writing blogs, and making posters.

6. large chinese and other immigrant populations. I'm not entirely sure what their schedules are, but even if it is late, they tend to stick with themselves and stay in their own neighborhoods.

7. sizable percentage of gays. This is the part which really throws me for loop. While most cities have very lively gay neighborhoods with fun bars, clubs and restaurants, the Castro is pretty mellow comparably speaking. I have come to the conclusion, outside of a couple festivals per year when tourists come to visit who like to stay out late, party, and make the city seem fun, the gays who live here fall into categories 1-5 above.

8. everyone else. These are the people who complain the most about lack of nightlife "action" and amenities, probably because they do not fit into the first 7 categories and are confused why the city shuts down so early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland