U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Frankfurt Germany
27 posts, read 25,488 times
Reputation: 14
Default Mother and son (12) from Germany to relocate to Bay Area

Hi guys,

we are a small family, me and my son of 12, and we need to smell the fresh breeze of the ocean again. I used to live in the Bay Area (San Francisco) in the 90s, my son is a Germany born US citizen, I am German. I am self-employed as a translator and I will be a professional studio speaker soon as well.

So, we are kind of weighing it out, East or West Coast ;.) and I was hoping to gather some impressions in this forum I have just found. Sonoma County sounds appealing, so does Petaluma or anywhere in Marin.... no need to live in the city anymore ;.)... I am so looking forward to receiving some input from anyone who has been living in the area ;-)

thank you so much


cypress
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Northern CA Mtns.
10,939 posts, read 4,425,107 times
Reputation: 8113
I think you can't go wrong with choosing Petaluma! It's less expensive than most anywhere in Marin, and is a great environment. And. . .not that far from the coast.


BTW, I noticed you'd put your email on that other thread; might want to have a Moderator remove it, as CD does not encourage the listing of private emails on the threads. Just a thought. It's for your protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,274 posts, read 2,616,258 times
Reputation: 532
You need to make sure you have secured a job and arranged immigration. It is good that your son is a United States citizen (How did that happen?), but you need to make sure you do these two things. As I am sure you are aware immigration can be very difficult to the United States.

The California economy is in shambles, but most of the country is as well. I would guess it is worse than Germany. So getting a job and having a good savings cushion is very important. Other than that I think anywhere you feel comfortable in the Bay Area should be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 AM
 
13,117 posts, read 23,405,339 times
Reputation: 7378
Just left a Christmas celebration with friends from Germany, Switzerland and France...

They all live in the vicinity of Sebastopol CA and even with finances being tight would not go back to Europe to live...

Sebastopol, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Frankfurt Germany
27 posts, read 25,488 times
Reputation: 14
Default Thank you for responses so far - explanation - keep going ;-)

Hi guys. thank you so much. @ultrarunner: I know ;-) sigh, I had to leave in the 90s end have been wanting to come back ever since....

@us-traveller - you are right on, and I know this for sure.. My son's dad is a naturalized American ;-) - we met while I was in the Bay Area in the 90s, my boy was born in Germany, his half brother who was 4 at the time is in the area (Sonoma). So he is all set. I know I need the papers, I needed them then and I got them (J1 and then H1-B). I would like to find out if I can work from my laptop while being in the US without being employed, cause I do my work from my computer anway.

Other than that I would be greatful for the link to a decent immigration lawer, emphasis on "decent" ;-). Petaluma has a nice ring to it, now it is up to looking for schools...

I am very greatful for you guys supporting me here and I want to invite all of you for Margheritas and snacks ;-)

And I am looking forward to cooking my famous lentil soup again when we will be back
cy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
47,276 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Reputation: 19498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressclub View Post
Hi guys. thank you so much. @ultrarunner: I know ;-) sigh, I had to leave in the 90s end have been wanting to come back ever since....

@us-traveller - you are right on, and I know this for sure.. My son's dad is a naturalized American ;-) - we met while I was in the Bay Area in the 90s, my boy was born in Germany, his half brother who was 4 at the time is in the area (Sonoma). So he is all set. I know I need the papers, I needed them then and I got them (J1 and then H1-B). I would like to find out if I can work from my laptop while being in the US without being employed, cause I do my work from my computer anway.

Other than that I would be greatful for the link to a decent immigration lawer, emphasis on "decent" ;-). Petaluma has a nice ring to it, now it is up to looking for schools...

I am very greatful for you guys supporting me here and I want to invite all of you for Margheritas and snacks ;-)

And I am looking forward to cooking my famous lentil soup again when we will be back
cy
I think you need to check with immigration. My undersanding, no, you can not work unless you have a work visa..I am not sure, but I certainly would be very careful.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, CA
1,788 posts, read 1,682,554 times
Reputation: 1306
Having lived on both coasts, if you have already lived in San Francisco I would recommend moving to the west coast. The east coast is very different in feel to the west coast. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and moved to Boston. I had a very tough time adjusting to the east coast mentality. Petaluma is a great area. You are close to the city and wine country. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 AM
 
9 posts, read 12,212 times
Reputation: 11
To work in the US, you need a work visa. Otherwise, if you come in using a tourist or business visitor's visa (B1/B2 visa), immigration officer usually will give you only up to 6 month of stay and then you will have to leave. Should you decide to come in again using the same visa, the immigration officer might question your true intention of coming to this country for purposes not aligned with the visa stamp in your passport.

You should get the proper work visa as what you intend to do is risky and creates a lot of uncertainty for you and your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Frankfurt Germany
27 posts, read 25,488 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowell View Post
To work in the US, you need a work visa. Otherwise, if you come in using a tourist or business visitor's visa (B1/B2 visa), immigration officer usually will give you only up to 6 month of stay and then you will have to leave. Should you decide to come in again using the same visa, the immigration officer might question your true intention of coming to this country for purposes not aligned with the visa stamp in your passport.

You should get the proper work visa as what you intend to do is risky and creates a lot of uncertainty for you and your child.

thanks - I know. I know the procedure from the 90s and in no way I intend to be even remotely illegal... I had secretly hoped that working from my laptop would be ok ;-)

But it is not ;-( and my son is too young to sponsor me... unless there is a legal loophole somewhere that is unknown to me...

cy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Frankfurt Germany
27 posts, read 25,488 times
Reputation: 14
Default east-west-europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Having lived on both coasts, if you have already lived in San Francisco I would recommend moving to the west coast. The east coast is very different in feel to the west coast. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and moved to Boston. I had a very tough time adjusting to the east coast mentality. Petaluma is a great area. You are close to the city and wine country. Good luck!
hi Archan, thank you. I hear you ;-) being European though,l there may be a European feel to the East Coast as well ;.)

cy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top