U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM

328 posts, read 263,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You're acting like Oakland is purgatory or something. If my gay elementary school teacher friend could handle East Oakland back when it was even worse than it is now, than i think your average 3rd world slum dweller will have no problem. East Oakland encompasses some pretty nice areas as well as the bad, and no bad areas in the Bay (or most of the US for that matter) will compare to your average 3rd world slum anyways (in terms of appearance and amenities the US is much better mostly than any 3rd world slum...in terms of crime, i'd say there are plenty of mexican, south american, central american, and african slums that are much worse than anything in the US).
Your typical bay area forum idiot troll has never been back east to see real poverty. The "Slums" in California are nowhere near as poverty stricken as those in New Jersey, New York, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland and many other rust belt and North eastern cities. Nowhere in Oakland looks like this,

Rate this post positively

Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,454,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I lived in Boston for a few years and now I live in Atlanta. What's so great about this country is that we are so rich in our lands. I've been able to travel all over this country and I'm amazed at how great it is.

I really think that I could be happy if I lived just about anywhere, but you can't make Texas into California or California into Texas. You have to enjoy where you are for what it is and make the most out of it.

I was born and raised in California and miss it a lot. If I just sit around Atlanta and complain that it's not California, I would just be cheating myself. Atlanta is a great place!
and I totally agree with you on this. The most important thing for all to remember is what you are saying, everyplace has its wonder, noplace is exactly the same and the worst way to go through life is to wish the palce you are now is like the place you used to live in. I watched my mother in law do this for years: First she griped because, as much as she loved Ca it wasn't like WV or OH. Then she moved back to WV and wanted to come back to Ca which she did. Eventually we all moved to NO VA and she missed Ca, but when we ended up living in Texas she missed No Va.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 9,252,188 times
Default We had all better start learning from what we are seeing in this country not just in California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA0q...4&kw=inflation

Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 PM

28,716 posts, read 31,363,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You're acting like Oakland is purgatory or something. If my gay elementary school teacher friend could handle East Oakland back when it was even worse than it is now, than i think your average 3rd world slum dweller will have no problem. East Oakland encompasses some pretty nice areas as well as the bad, and no bad areas in the Bay (or most of the US for that matter) will compare to your average 3rd world slum anyways (in terms of appearance and amenities the US is much better mostly than any 3rd world slum...in terms of crime, i'd say there are plenty of mexican, south american, central american, and african slums that are much worse than anything in the US).
I'm wondering if you even bothered to read my post. I was responding to 18Montclairs post that middle / upper class people from the 3rd world would be willing to live in East Oakland (which I quoted). I said, no they wouldn't.

Not everyone in the 3rd World are slum dwellers 'ya know.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM

28,716 posts, read 31,363,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
Your typical bay area forum idiot troll has never been back east to see real poverty. The "Slums" in California are nowhere near as poverty stricken as those in New Jersey, New York, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland and many other rust belt and North eastern cities. Nowhere in Oakland looks like this,
That is definitely true. But it also makes Californias slums deceptive. The housing in bad neighborhoods in CA isn't as bad. But bad neighborhoods in CA can be just as violent or crime ridden.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,494,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm wondering if you even bothered to read my post. I was responding to 18Montclairs post that middle / upper class people from the 3rd world would be willing to live in East Oakland (which I quoted). I said, no they wouldn't.

Not everyone in the 3rd World are slum dwellers 'ya know.
Sorry i read over your post fast and missed where you said middle/upper class people...my bad. Still though, i think you may be exaggerating a little bit. That friend i was talking about was middle class and lived in a pretty sketchy part of east Oakland. And once again, not all of east Oakland is some hopeless ghetto anyways.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,775,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've been to the 3rd world (Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico) and ummm, now you're the one doing the exaggerating.
Uh, no.
Many areas in East Oakland would be considered rich by third world standards. Maxwell Park, Frick, Merritt, Laurel etc.

Even many areas considered ghetto in Oakland, if they were suddenly uprooted and plopped in the middle of Rio, would be considered wealthier than average.

The entire stretch of Bancroft from High Street all the way to the border of San Leandro(that's actually a huge area) would be well above average for Latin America.

Furthermore, Im referring more to the creature comforts many people enjoy even in poorer urban areas. A Cadillac Escalade for example would be only driven by a Multi-Millionaire in Brazil, is common in East Oakland. Same goes for Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus and so on.

The US may have its poor areas, but poor in the first world is very different from poor in the third world.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,994,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Uh, no.
Many areas in East Oakland would be considered rich by third world standards. Maxwell Park, Frick, Merritt, Laurel etc.

Even many areas considered ghetto in Oakland, if they were suddenly uprooted and plopped in the middle of Rio, would be considered wealthier than average.

The entire stretch of Bancroft from High Street all the way to the border of San Leandro(that's actually a huge area) would be well above average for Latin America.

Furthermore, Im referring more to the creature comforts many people enjoy even in poorer urban areas. A Cadillac Escalade for example would be only driven by a Multi-Millionaire in Brazil, is common in East Oakland. Same goes for Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus and so on.

The US may have its poor areas, but poor in the first world is very different from poor in the third world.
Admittedly you can't really argue that. The poor in America are alot better off than in the third world thats for sure.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM

15,091 posts, read 12,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
LET ME REPRHASE IT: The VAST majority of people in the bay area CAN NOT afford it.

Most people here are considered poor and live in third world conditions compared to normal parts of the country. Compare someone earning 60K in Dallas to 100K in the Bay. The person in Dallas is wealthier and lives a better lifestyle.
I just moved here and I'm making it well enough for now. My fiancee is here and she is doing fine. We're both Americans. Stop exaggerating. "Third world conditions?"

Yes, it's an expensive city. Guess what? So is NYC. Obviously, enough people can afford it or else the prices wouldn't be able to remain where they are. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean no one else can. Stop kvetching and either live here or move.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,263,346 times
I am highly qualified to comment on this because I recently moved from Dallas,TX to San Francisco,CA. I agree with some comments of the poster but not all. So here is my take:

Bay area cons:
1. Extremely overpriced housing and very crappy quality of housing. Housing in bay area is very third world like. No modern ammenities or appliances, poor structural quality, generally shabby and basically ugly compared to house/apartments in Texas.
2. The physical infrastructure like roads, highways etc are very third world in bay area. Dare I say that any modern city in a poor country like India or China will have better roads and highways. For whatever reason CA cannot build anything that looks nice!
3. People look poor in the bay area.
4. Over-reaching government that regulates everything.

Pros of the bay area:
1. How does the quality of housing really matter? Does your 3000 sq. ft house in the middle of nowhere in Plano, TX really make you happy? You may not have a large backyard in San Francisco but you have excellent parks and outdoor places that are way nicer than your large backyard in Texas. Within 1 hr of driving from anywhere in the bay area you have extraordinarily beautiful scenery, mountains, beaches, redwood forests, wineries, hiking and biking trails. If you are not in to outdoors, you will not like bay area.
2. If you go out to eat what is more important? an upscale ambiance of the restaurant or the taste of the food? In Dallas the ambiance will be upscale but very vanilla. In San Francisco, the ambiance might be crappy but the food will taste excellent.
3. Unlike what the poster said, bay area is not full of poor immigrants. In fact, Texas is full of uneducated and low-skill immigrants. Bay area is full of highly educated professional immigrants from Asia who are very wealthy and influential in the bay area. If you don't like wealthy minorities, please move to some redneck paradise in the south.
4. People in the bay area are less pretentious and materialistic compared to Texas. Thats why they don't look too rich. But I can gurantee that most of these folks can afford nice cars and expensive clothes if they want to, but they chose to save money and not live in debt. People in the bay area are usually frugal and well-balanced in their life-style.
5. This is the big surprise! San Francisco is very affordable if you forget about rent. I moved here from Texas and I noticed other than the apartment rent and cost of processed food in grocery store everything costs same or less in San Francisco. My higher salary in SF compensates for the rent. You just have to know where to shop and be more open to living like the local immigrant population.

I like many things about the bay area and also dislike many things. I still compare everything with Texas. But overall, even with the poor infrastructure, crappy economy, unemployment and all, people in CA seem very happy and content with their surroundings. People also seem better educated and way more progressive here in CA.

I hate moving to SF from Dallas from time to time, but then once in a week I wake up to a beautiful, fog-less, sunny morning...and I see the blue pacific from my living room and the ships getting in the bay...the hills and the colorful houses...and I can tell you for that very moment I feel nothing but very happy and humbled that I live in this beautiful and majestic place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland