U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,346 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

First of all, it's our first message so let us introduce ourselves. We are a couple from Barcelona (Spain), we are 27 years old and we are going to get married next July. Our honeymoon will be a trip around california and here is where we need some help.

We have reserved a car with Alamo at San Francisco, concretely at the O'farrell street location.
The car we have choosen is a Chevy Tahoe (Full-size SUV) and we don't know if the cars into this category are new or old, very used or not etc.
We don't know if there is someone in this forum that lives near this location but if there is someone it would be very nice if he/she could go to this place to look for this information (we've contacted by e-mail with Alamo but they don't know exactly this info).

Thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Nevada/Hawaii
326 posts, read 1,181,222 times
Reputation: 174
You will get the new shape Tahoe as they first came out in early 2006. Your rental may have 20/30K miles on it. Good luck finding a parking space for a full size SUV though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,426 posts, read 52,059,761 times
Reputation: 14362
Alamo is not going to give you and old vehicle. If its a Tahoe, then its going to look like this:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
21 posts, read 62,689 times
Reputation: 21
Alamo also owns Enterprise Rental Cars and from my experience Enterprise sells their rentals after they are approximately 2 years old or have too many miles. I'd say the Tahoe will be fairly new. Good luck. Hope you enjoy California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,865 posts, read 7,328,474 times
Reputation: 4241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto&Mireia View Post
First of all, it's our first message so let us introduce ourselves. We are a couple from Barcelona (Spain), we are 27 years old and we are going to get married next July. Our honeymoon will be a trip around california and here is where we need some help.

We have reserved a car with Alamo at San Francisco, concretely at the O'farrell street location.
The car we have choosen is a Chevy Tahoe (Full-size SUV) and we don't know if the cars into this category are new or old, very used or not etc.
We don't know if there is someone in this forum that lives near this location but if there is someone it would be very nice if he/she could go to this place to look for this information (we've contacted by e-mail with Alamo but they don't know exactly this info).

Thank you very much!!
Might I suggest renting something smaller?? It'll be far too difficult to get around San Francisco in something that huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,346 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you very very much for your help!
We've though about renting something smaller but we've to drive about 2800 miles in total because we are visiting California for 18 days more or less. In San Francisco we don't need the car. We will arrive at SF the 13th July but we will rent the car the 17th July, when we will go down to LA.
We've selected this car because it will maybe be the only chance to drive something so huge and powerful.

We will review the forum to look for info (we've just discovered this forum today) but we accept dinning suggestions (if possible, not very touristic)!

Again, thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 7,766,246 times
Reputation: 2480
^haha i thought it might have just been that you wanted to "experience" driving a huge SUV, as i imagine they're not very common in europe compared to here.

That said, it wouldn't even be that hard driving an SUV in SF...i've ridden around in big container trucks in SF enough to know that you need to go much bigger than an SUV to have any real problems (mostly on hills and narrow streets of course). Parking would be more difficult, but LOTS of people in SF own big trucks and SUVs anyways, so it's obviously easy enough to do (though of course the denser the neighborhood, the harder it would be...especially in the northeast section of the city which is not only very densely populated, but has hordes of tourist and commuter traffic too). Also, the rental SUV should be pretty new, as others have said. enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,426 posts, read 52,059,761 times
Reputation: 14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto&Mireia View Post
.
We've selected this car because it will maybe be the only chance to drive something so huge and powerful.
Go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Alaska & Florida
1,629 posts, read 4,707,378 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto&Mireia View Post
Thank you very very much for your help!
We've though about renting something smaller but we've to drive about 2800 miles in total because we are visiting California for 18 days more or less. In San Francisco we don't need the car. We will arrive at SF the 13th July but we will rent the car the 17th July, when we will go down to LA.
We've selected this car because it will maybe be the only chance to drive something so huge and powerful.

We will review the forum to look for info (we've just discovered this forum today) but we accept dinning suggestions (if possible, not very touristic)!

Again, thank you very much
I know some great restaurants that most tourists don't know about.

-San Tung - Chinese (some Korean influence) - Famous for their chicken wings.

-R & G Lounge - Chinese - best I've had anywhere in the world!!!

-Osha Thai - Thai - All of their locations are great, the Geary and Leavenworth location is open late.

-Burma Star - Burmese - very popular

-Lahore Karahi - Indian - authentic and flavorful

-Harris Restaurant - Steakhouse - The best steaks you will ever have, pricey, but worth it!

-French Laundry - French - If you want a dining experience to remember for the rest of your life come to this restaurant. It comes at a very high price tag, but includes 9 courses. The menu is created daily and no major ingredient is repeated during the meal. AMAZING! It's located in Napa, CA.

There are many more, but these are some of my favorites. Some of them are cheap, while others are expensive. However, I recommend all of them!

---If you want any tips or advice about your road trip, let me know---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
67,528 posts, read 77,272,551 times
Reputation: 36726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto&Mireia View Post
First of all, it's our first message so let us introduce ourselves. We are a couple from Barcelona (Spain), we are 27 years old and we are going to get married next July. Our honeymoon will be a trip around california and here is where we need some help.

We have reserved a car with Alamo at San Francisco, concretely at the O'farrell street location.
The car we have choosen is a Chevy Tahoe (Full-size SUV) and we don't know if the cars into this category are new or old, very used or not etc.
We don't know if there is someone in this forum that lives near this location but if there is someone it would be very nice if he/she could go to this place to look for this information (we've contacted by e-mail with Alamo but they don't know exactly this info).

Thank you very much!!
If I understand you question, you wonder about the car itself: all rental cars from major car companies like Alamo are new or very close to new.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top