Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 PM

18 posts, read 33,902 times

Advertisements

I have my mind set on living in the city so not going to consider living near dublin or anything like that. I am OK with the longer commute and the bart tickets. I appreciate all the advice from everyone..very helpful to a clueless out of towner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,470 times
Consider the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland (near the Berkeley border). Right near the BART station and a cool neighborhood in its own right.

Its a bit pricey for the East Bay but still cheaper than the city. From there you can easily get to SF and to your job in Dublin.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM

ok so I spoke to a real estate agent there..she said for me she recommends nob hill, soma, and south beach but she really stressed nob hill b/c it is like central to everything. Soma she said was more industrial and not like a neighborhood-type place. She also talked about the mission and said if you live in the mission you either live in the marina (which is less safe) or the ___ (I forgot the other one she said but it is safer). But she said to avoid the tenderloin and civic center area.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhann2 View Post
She also talked about the mission and said if you live in the mission you either live in the marina (which is less safe) or the ___ (I forgot the other one she said but it is safer).
The Marina is nowhere close to the Mission and is a very safe neighborhood. Perhaps you mean Bayview?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM

For any of you who have been out to dublin or even work there...are there shuttles/buses from the bart station at dublin to various offices? Or if not, where can I find this information?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhann2 View Post
For any of you who have been out to dublin or even work there...are there shuttles/buses from the bart station at dublin to various offices? Or if not, where can I find this information?
Have you checked with the office where you will be working or on the company web site?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM

I will next week when I'm there for a visit...btw do you guys hate it when people call it 'san fran'?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM

ok what are your guys' thoughts on lower nob hill...I found some places there on post st and sutter st and leavenworth st... but my concern is the safety..I was advised to avoid tenderloin/lower nob hill (tendernob)...is this true about the lower nob area? It was funny when I spoke to the real estate agent I asked him if the place on sutter st was in lower nob hill and he said 'yea it is...um actually no its upper nob hill' I thought that was pretty sketchy especially since I had a map open in front of me and could clearly see he was lying...

Last edited by skhann2; 01-13-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM

263 posts, read 529,863 times
I did this same commute for just over a year. I lived in the Mission and drove out to Dublin/Pleasanton. The drive is actually not that bad at all in the morning - I used to make it there regularly in under 40 minutes. Coming back in the evening can be a bit worse, but I would regularly make it back in about 50 minutes.

In terms of neighborhoods, advice is going to be all over the map (literally and figuratively). If you plan on taking BART to Dublin, you need to live close to a station. Trust me on this one - your commute will be long enough, you don't need to worry about spending 10-20 minutes just getting to the BART station in SF. There's nowhere to live near the lines downtown, so I'd recommend finding a place near 16th/Mission, 24th/Mission or Glen Park.

$1200 is more than enough if you're getting a roommate. You could easily find a share for $800 or so. I would look somewhere in the Western Mission, along Valencia, Guerrero, or Dolores between 15th and 30th. Best part of the city to live IMHO.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM

ok so after long talks and a lot of yelp.com-ing I have narrowed it down to SOMA...walking distance to bart and close to the bridge should I choose to drive. My price range has also gone up to around 15-1600 including parking..1800 absolute tops. From what people have told me I can easily take a taxi to nob hill/russian hill from there for about $10 or take muni for about $2 and san fran is so small it really doesn't matter where I live but my commuting is the key factor in terms of location. So my next question is...anyone have any experience with apts in soma? Any one in particular I should avoid or any I should consider? thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland