Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

159 posts, read 646,269 times

Advertisements

I've lived in LA and San Diego and recently moved up to the Bay Area. It seems like there are more "nice" people here in the Bay Area. I think the number of complete strangers who have said "hi" to me as they walked by has already eclipsed the number that did the same in LA and San Diego during my near 10 years of living in SoCal.

Anyone get the impression that people are a bit nicer up here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I've always thought so, but I was born and raised in the Bay Area! Funny about saying "hi" to people, when I moved to Boston and did that people would give me the "what do you want" look or the "you must be crazy" look.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

328 posts, read 306,722 times
There are people on this forum that think the Bay Area especially SF has the worst people on earth. Apparently everybody is cold and unfriendly here. I was expecting to come in here and see a post about how horrible and mean people here are.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I grew up in the Bay Area but I think San Diegan's are slightly more outgoing and friendly. LA not as much as either two but not quite as bad as some people make them out to be.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
I've lived in LA and San Diego and recently moved up to the Bay Area. It seems like there are more "nice" people here in the Bay Area. I think the number of complete strangers who have said "hi" to me as they walked by has already eclipsed the number that did the same in LA and San Diego during my near 10 years of living in SoCal.

I don't know where you lived in SoCal but honestly I don't think people in the Bay are any more friendlier than anywhere else in CA. If anything they are more easily offended and less confident about themselves when dealing with others.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post

I don't know if they're nicer. Compared to the East Coast, they are friendlier, at least on the surface. Easterners can be abrasive.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
There are people on this forum that think the Bay Area especially SF has the worst people on earth. Apparently everybody is cold and unfriendly here. I was expecting to come in here and see a post about how horrible and mean people here are.
Lol I was thinking the exact same thing when I came on this thread.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
People in the Bay Area do say hi to strangers. I definitely notice that.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
People in the Bay Area do say hi to strangers. I definitely notice that.
Bay Area folks tend to be more proper in saying Good Evening or Good Afternoon too. Whereas people in San Diego are more informal and surf like with a "what's going on?" or "how's it going man". Either are fine by my standards .

Overall, I find people in San Diego and San Francisco to be about equal in politeness with San Diego being a little more outgoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
I think people in San Francisco can be quite introverted, and some tend to take that as coldness.

Last edited by Mach50; 01-07-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Anywhere I've been in California has had people that will smile and nod when passing you on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland