U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,902,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
To the OP:

San Francisco is a wonderful town, but frankly I have alot of doubts whether you really grasp how expensive it is. The notion of someone living there on the salary you said you make is crazy! You need to make at least $45-50k to even squeeze by. Even on that you wont have much of a living.

I think youre making it out to be more than what it actually is. Living in California isnt going to measure up to what you have built it up to be. Remember that the fantasy is perfect, reality very rarely is.

If you really want to be in the Bay Area, I would advise looking at a place like Oakland (and not one of the nicer parts based on the salary you quoted) or San Jose. Perhaps you might like Sacramento. Its 85 miles from San Fran, but its a very nice city with beautiful surroundings. Its alot less expensive.

Truth be told, if I were you, I would move from Waco to Dallas or Houston. The opprotunities are much better there. Get a couple of years of work, save up, and then look at San Francisco.

Also remember that you will find elements of what you complain about in Waco in California. My grandmother lives in Waco and I used to spend every summer there as a kid. I know its not real exciting, but the things you are complaining about are exaggerated. There are more churches there, but I never got the in-your-face attitude that your describing.

To me it sounds look youre looking for a reason to leave. To justify it, you are exaggerating why you want out.

If you want to move to California, move. But be prepared for what life there is really like. Having lived both places, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that city life is city life. My life in Dallas is exactly the same as it was in LA. I work in a high wise, travel alot for work, eat the same foods, do the same things, go to the same types of clubs/bars, etc. The only real difference is the outdoors. California offers alot more outdoors in the way of beaches, hiking, skiing, etc. But other than that life is absolutely no different (except of course its alot cheaper here).

Ask yourself this, "Am I willing to have a subpar standard of living to live in a place that is very beautiful?". If the answer is yes, go. If it isnt, its not worth it.
+1 Take it from someone who has lived in both California and Texas. It really depends on what you prioritize. If you're an indoors person, the outdoor scenery is irrelevant anyways. Just look at some of the Computer Science and Engineers in the Bay Area. Looks like they haven't been out in a while The Bay Area AS A WHOLE is very expensive, even in places like San Jose or Oakland (unless you want to live in Deep East Oakland).

Cities don't change, no matter where you go. Countryside does, but how often are you out in the country?

If its really in your heart to be in California, then go for it. After all, you only live once. However, make sure that's really what you want to do so you can see it through the good and bad times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM

19 posts, read 22,261 times
Im moving to TX shortly from the Bay Area. I lived here for 20 years. Was in the Military for 5 years stayed in TX for 4 of them. I have been back in the Bay Area now for a year with my fiance. Unless you have a job lined up making 50 plus DO NOT MOVE.

We have a total income of 70 and we live pay check to pay check.

Rent for a one bedroom condo 716sq feet $1300 (Sunnyvale) same place in Austin would be $650

Gas, Registration, Food, ect is much higher in CA

Old 01-24-2010, 03:21 PM

634 posts, read 844,681 times
Wow. This whole thread was a trip.

To the OP: My opinion? If you really want to make the move, save like mad, do your research, and head out. You get one life, so that means you get one chance to go after things you think may or may not make you happy.

Don't listen to anyone on this forum. Not even me. Do what you want to do. Does this mean you'll be happier? Does it mean you'll succeed? Maybe, maybe not. But that's the deal, you just never know. That's also part of the fun.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM

840 posts, read 1,569,611 times
Can't blame you, Texas is a real ****hole. LOL nothing more comical then Texans braging about the creation of $8/hr jobs

Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post
Can't blame you, Texas is a real ****hole. LOL nothing more comical then Texans braging about the creation of $8/hr jobs
Amen!

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

50,066 posts, read 42,457,212 times
Here we are argueing over Texas versus CA, someone said Texas is proud of their $8 an hour jobs, well a couple of things: salaries in the urban cities in Texas pay very well, unemployment is nothing like Califoria and the OP hasn't been here for 10 days, but we are all in a spitting match. I bet she is sitting back laughing..

Nita

Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM

942 posts, read 1,273,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post
Better than $0 an hour in California or other broke states with 10%+ unemployment rates.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

12,932 posts, read 11,137,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Better than $0 an hour in California or other broke states with 10%+ unemployment rates.
*sigh*

Federal $7.25

California $8.00

San Francisco $9.79

Now how about an actually poor (broke) state:

Missisisippi None federal Minimum wage applies

List of U.S. minimum wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have 50 states. Only 5 have higher minimum wages than California. 0$ an hour? LMAO!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 PM

942 posts, read 1,273,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
*sigh*

Federal $7.25

California $8.00

San Francisco $9.79

You obviously did'nt understand what was being said. $0 an hour implies you have no job. In other words better to be making $8 an hour in Texas than to be out of work and broke in California.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

12,932 posts, read 11,137,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
You obviously did'nt understand what was being said. $0 an hour implies you have no job. In other words better to be making $8 an hour in Texas than to be out of work and broke in California.
Ok, I do understand it put that way but what you said before made no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland