Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,487 times

Advertisements

Texas is not flat at all...in fact much of west Texas is quite hilly and even mountainous...and most importantly, even if it appears flat, most of west Texas and the Panhandle is quite high in elevation (usually about 1,000 m or 3,000 feet above sea level). If you're driving from San Antonio to El Paso, you'll just be going up and up and up for the entire 8 or so hour drive.

Texas is quite a diverse state. The large cities of Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth are large, diverse and exciting. El Paso is pretty boring and barren, but it's a stark contrast to the other cities in the state. That's the thing about Texas (and anywhere else really) if you've only ever lived in El Paso, then Texas will appear to be a high desert...while hot summers will be familiar, the humidity closer to the coast will be a rather alien concept and vice versa if you're from Houston, which is low lying, mostly flat and only slightly above sea level.

If you're from Waco, it's the same thing...you're used to that small town mentality but the fact is that the big Texas cities are as diverse, multicultural and have plenty of jobs going around. In fact, they are as good as any other cities in the rest of the USA, except that property and fuel prices are much lower than San Francisco (and California in general) and of course rents are much lower too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,487 times
Humidity in Texas only applies to eastern Texas, specifically regions close to the coast. West Texas is very (read VERY) dry, with humidity in El Paso averaging less than 20% for much of the year. Texas is indeed diverse.....geographically, climatically and in many other ways too...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
South Texas, such as San Antonio isn't really flat either. Lots of hills.
You're right about that. I lived in San Antonio, and although I didn't like living there, it was the hill country and very beautiful. I just couldn't stand the crowded freeways and going into downtown SA. I wasn't a fan of the weather either.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I totally agree .... and .... the BBQ in Texas SUCKS too!!!

Rudy's? Get real - just throw me one of those rawhide dog chews!

There's other BBQ places in Texas that are better than Rudy's

Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you do have the cities of Texas down pretty smoothly; of course some of the best food in the country can be found in Dallas, just like Los Angeles, San Francisco, NYC, Las Vegas and most major cities. Austin is Silcon Valley in a smaller enviornment. i do think the driveres in Texas are a bit scary and the humidty sucks. Other than that it is a great place to live.

Nita
I think the drivers in Texas are worst than in California because they drive after too much alcohol and are drunk driving. In California a lot of the drivers have been smoking marijuana and tend to drive slow.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think the drivers in Texas are worst than in California because they drive after too much alcohol and are drunk driving. In California a lot of the drivers have been smoking marijuana and tend to drive slow.
In SD they drive fast

Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Where did you get that idea about drunk drivers? Texas does not have a serious problem with drunk driving, anymore than areas in California..The problem with driving in Texas is two fold, one they drive very fast and 2-so many people from Texas are not natives so they all drive in little differently.

Nita

Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
And driving high is better? lol

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
There's other BBQ places in Texas that are better than Rudy's
There HAS to be!!!!

Actually, I've also been to Bill Miller BBQ and it sucked too! Now granted, I haven't been to all the BBQ places, because I'm not really a big fan of BBQ (I'm a gym rat who eats a clean, healthy diet), but the places I had been and eaten BBQ while I was there, nothing even came close to the tender, falling-off-the-bone, BBQ I've had right here in California.

But I did like the food at Papadeux and Zushi Sushi.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
If the OP is making under 20K a year in Texas that salary would not even allow him or her to make a successful move to SF. Its just not going to happen. Be realistic. The OP should stay in Texas until they get a major salary increase and then they can think about moving. And no, CA doesn't "rule" although its a nice state to visit. You would think people would do some intelligent research before they ask questions but apparently some don't do their homework.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 03-25-2010 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: add text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland