Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
There HAS to be!!!!

Actually, I've also been to Bill Miller BBQ and it sucked too! Now granted, I haven't been to all the BBQ places, because I'm not really a big fan of BBQ (I'm a gym rat who eats a clean, healthy diet), but the places I had been and eaten BBQ while I was there, nothing even came close to the tender, falling-off-the-bone, BBQ I've had right here in California.

But I did like the food at Papadeux and Zushi Sushi.
I really don't think that someone who admits they are not a fan of BBQ should really criticize Texas BBQ.

Texas BBQ is usually judged by the quality of the beef brisket. Rudy's is a Texas based chain, that does a particularly good job with beef brisket. Their "moist" brisket has a lot of fat, is very tender, and has a very tasty black crust. Rudy's is also very consistent, from location to location, and by hour of day. Many of the more legendary places in Texas do not cook meat throughout the day so it best only for a few hours. Eat at an off time and it might be dry and tasteless. Rudy's pork loin is very good - amazingly lean yet moist and flavorful.

The falling off the bone BBQ you like in CA may be very good. But what is it? Pork ribs? Or is it chicken?

Bill Miller is almost fast food BBQ. Very popular because it is cheap and always OK. But I don't anyone who would say Bill Miller is great BBQ.

I agree Pappadeaux is a fine place for Louisiana-style seafood. Not exactly Cajun, but again a very consistent chain. Pappadeaux is owned by the Houston based Pappas family, who also operate the Pappasitos Mexican restaurants and the ultra high end Houston steakhouse Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. They know how to run a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I really don't think that someone who admits they are not a fan of BBQ should really criticize Texas BBQ.

Texas BBQ is usually judged by the quality of the beef brisket. Rudy's is a Texas based chain, that does a particularly good job with beef brisket. Their "moist" brisket has a lot of fat, is very tender, and has a very tasty black crust. Rudy's is also very consistent, from location to location, and by hour of day. Many of the more legendary places in Texas do not cook meat throughout the day so it best only for a few hours. Eat at an off time and it might be dry and tasteless. Rudy's pork loin is very good - amazingly lean yet moist and flavorful.

The falling off the bone BBQ you like in CA may be very good. But what is it? Pork ribs? Or is it chicken?

Bill Miller is almost fast food BBQ. Very popular because it is cheap and always OK. But I don't anyone who would say Bill Miller is great BBQ.

I agree Pappadeaux is a fine place for Louisiana-style seafood. Not exactly Cajun, but again a very consistent chain. Pappadeaux is owned by the Houston based Pappas family, who also operate the Pappasitos Mexican restaurants and the ultra high end Houston steakhouse Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. They know how to run a restaurant.

Houston steakhouse your talking about Houston's right?

Hillstone.com

Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
There HAS to be!!!!

Actually, I've also been to Bill Miller BBQ and it sucked too! Now granted, I haven't been to all the BBQ places, because I'm not really a big fan of BBQ (I'm a gym rat who eats a clean, healthy diet), but the places I had been and eaten BBQ while I was there, nothing even came close to the tender, falling-off-the-bone, BBQ I've had right here in California.

But I did like the food at Papadeux and Zushi Sushi.

Try these next time your here

Salt Lick Bar-B-Que Restaurant – Austin, Round Rock, Hill Country, Texas (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/index.html - broken link)

The County Line BBQ - Steaks & Texas Barbeque

There's also a Salt Lick in Las Vegas

Salt Lick BBQ - Red Rock, Las Vegas

Old 03-26-2010, 02:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Houston steakhouse your talking about Houston's right?

Hillstone.com

No no no no....

Pappas Bros. Steakhouse

I have not been, but Texas Monthly rated it the best steakhouse in Texas a few years ago.

Because it is NOT Ruth Chris, Sullivans, or Flemings, which are all clones of each other, I'd have to give it a try.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Both Texas and California have their good aspects and bad aspects. Let's respect each other's states.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Try these next time your here

Salt Lick Bar-B-Que Restaurant – Austin, Round Rock, Hill Country, Texas (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/index.html - broken link)

The County Line BBQ - Steaks & Texas Barbeque

There's also a Salt Lick in Las Vegas

Salt Lick BBQ - Red Rock, Las Vegas
Never been to the Salt Lick ... been to the Salt Grass though. I've been to the County Line over on 281 by the Cornerstone Church. Again, wasn't wild about it.

The BBQ we have in CA that falls off the bone are pork ribs.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No no no no....

Pappas Bros. Steakhouse

I have not been, but Texas Monthly rated it the best steakhouse in Texas a few years ago.

Because it is NOT Ruth Chris, Sullivans, or Flemings, which are all clones of each other, I'd have to give it a try.

Huh never been there i've been to Papa's BBQ over in Houston though lol I heard the Palm has really good steaks my dad ate at the Palm in NYC several years ago and he still talks about how good it was.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,756 times
Absolutely!

California is THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD!

Everyone should come here!

The weather is the BEST!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Absolutely!

California is THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD!

Everyone should come here!

The weather is the BEST!
Well if everyone moved to Ca you would have a real problem with employment and crowds..If I still lived there I would hope people wouldn't move, even when we left there were plenty of crowds. That is one thing we hated about living there; the freeways were conjected as early as the 1960s, the lots were like 7500 sq ft if that big and the homes were 1500 sq ft..

yes, the weather is to die for and IN N Out is a must, as well as all the wonderful fresh product. I can remember a few years ago, driving from Chico to Marin Co to visit friends. It was mid June and we were on some out of the way roads. The produce stands and small farms selling fresh fruit were everywhere.

Nita

Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well if everyone moved to Ca you would have a real problem with employment and crowds..If I still lived there I would hope people wouldn't move, even when we left there were plenty of crowds. That is one thing we hated about living there; the freeways were conjected as early as the 1960s, the lots were like 7500 sq ft if that big and the homes were 1500 sq ft..

yes, the weather is to die for and IN N Out is a must, as well as all the wonderful fresh product. I can remember a few years ago, driving from Chico to Marin Co to visit friends. It was mid June and we were on some out of the way roads. The produce stands and small farms selling fresh fruit were everywhere.

Nita
In'N'Out and the underground LA bicycle scene are two of the things that are keeping me here.
Once the latter fades away, then I'm "Breaking Away" so to speak.

Keeping on topic, Austin has a kickin' bicycle scene and El Paso looks eerily similar to where I live (Victorville), except there are more things to do there.
And then of course lower salary goes a longer way out there and such.

Cool thing is if I get back into my OTR driving career, drivers for the large carriers pretty much make the same amount regardless of which area of the country they're from.
You're pretty much on a permanent "survey" tour when you're hauling tons of goods/materials along the major freeways, the 10 was the best of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland