Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1985 View Post
Everyone I know in(Texas) California is poor, trying like hell to make it to the next level - money wise.Yea the media might say its great and there are jobs everywhere but that just isn't true where I live. 4 of my close friends are unemployed. The factory where my fiance works just laid off 80 people. There are tons of poor mexican immigrants here also.
Fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
I'm 25 y/o office worker by day, fine artist by night. I hate texas but I have lived here all my life. I always wanted to move to san fran. I am making under 20k a year in Texas. How can I move to san fran? Anyone from texas moved to cali? What was it like?
Nice time to go San Francisco with all of California's money crisis. Good luck finding a job. If I were you, I'd be counting my blessing and saying thank the lord I even have a job in this horrible economy that has not yet fully recovered. You don't know how fortunate you are to be living in the state of Texas with a working job! There's people all over the world that are starving tonight. And their kids will be starving as well. Instead of being grateful for what you have, you would rather just complain about your surrounding. Your alive, your well, you can eat, sleep, take a bath, go to work, come back and relax, and go to sleep and know that your getting paid for it all. Your living a life of luxury and you don't even know it! Get some life sense and stop complaining about how much Texas sucks and instead be grateful Texas gave you a job because the rest of U.S. would be quite hesitant to or wouldn't give you one at all right now.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Well don't I have a right to ask about moving there? Just because I don't make a lot of money doesn't mean a girl can't dream. Is the city only a place for rich people to live???!!! Have poor people in their 20's never moved to san francisco? I don't understand..
You certainly have a right. But what we all seem to be picking up on from the tone of your post is that you really don't know what you're up against here.

Quote:
Everyone I know in Texas is poor, trying like hell to make it to the next level - money wise. Yea the media might say its great and there are jobs everywhere but that just isn't true where I live. 4 of my close friends are unemployed. The factory where my fiance works just laid off 80 people. There are tons of poor mexican immigrants here also..
If you think it's any different here, you're kidding yourself. California has nearly 12% unemployment, worse than in Texas. We also have lots of poor Mexican immigrants. And the cost of living here is horrible. A lot of people in this area are forced to leave if they lose their jobs, because they can't make it here on low paying jobs to tide them over.

Quote:
The bay area is a few ours a way from yosemite which was covered in snow when I went there 2 weeks ago. I would say right now there is no snow in the whole state of Texas.
You probably won't be going to Yosemite much if you are working an office job. You won't be able to afford it. If you want to make it as an artist here, you will have to be good at marketing yourself. And you will have to work very hard. It will be a combination of working very hard and very smart at the same time.

If you don't want that level of difficulty ('cause truth be told, most of us are not cut out for it), try somewhere like Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the scenery is nicer but the pace of life and the cost of living are more sane.

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Based on my experiences. Cali has mountains, water, snow, and sunshine. More culture and diversity. People seem more laid back there.

Texas is big, flat and boring. Living next to Baylor, the biggest Christian private school, is like living in conservative religious hell. Everything is based on the good ol' boys club. It's like George Bush's back yard.
I suggest that you get into a car and drive from north Texas to south Texas and then from east to west...

I really think that you know NOTHING about Texas....

The problem is YOURS and not with Texas...

I'm hoping to visit California the summer...

220 posts, read 411,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This might be hard for you to realize, but Ca has zillions of illegals and zillions of more legal immigrants, certainly more than in your part of Baylor. We have them here as well. You say you want diversity and yet have problems with Mexican Immigrants, doesn't sound to me you really want to live in a place that is truely diverse. Not all immigrants are illegals.

Again, I know I am sounding like a first rate *****, but you ask if a girl can dream, of course she can. Whether 20 or 80 everyone dreams. That is what keeps us going, it is when dreams become obsessions and totally out of focus they become dangerous..Nita
You are being a "first rate *****". Let this person dream and give advice that is not tainted with your negative attitude.

Last edited by goodneighbor1234; 01-12-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM

37 posts, read 105,172 times
Houston- How can I know nothing about texas if I have lived here for 25 years? Yea it might suit your tastes but not everyones. I do know a thing or two about my surroundings. I love the pecan trees but other than that, there's not much here that interests me.

goodneighbor1234- THANK YOU!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
First, please don't call it Cali. We don't call Texas, Texi!!!!
It's not called Texi, it's called Baja Oklahoma!

Sorry, just kidding. Couldn't resist!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'd choose Austin, TX over most of the cheaper cities in California.
I'd go for the Corpus Christi - Port Aransas area. Padre Island Nat. Seashore is beautiful. I happened to be down there during spring break one year and the place was "interesting"

By the way, there are no jobs here. In April, Toyota will close down their assembly line in Fremont and move it to Texas of all places. Fewer regulations, lower taxes and no unions make companies want to leave California and move to places like Texas. At least you have jobs in Texas.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Houston- How can I know nothing about texas if I have lived here for 25 years? Yea it might suit your tastes but not everyones. I do know a thing or two about my surroundings. I love the pecan trees but other than that, there's not much here that interests me.

goodneighbor1234- THANK YOU!!!
I've lived here a lot longer than you have and I still have not seen all that Texas has to offer..

At 25 you are still wet behind the ears....

You need to open the gate to your backyard and get out..

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
It's not called Texi, it's called Baja Oklahoma!

Sorry, just kidding. Couldn't resist!
LOL Now that's funny....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland