Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 AM

37 posts, read 105,167 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 y/o office worker by day, fine artist by night. I hate texas but I have lived here all my life. I always wanted to move to san fran. I am making under 20k a year in Texas. How can I move to san fran? Anyone from texas moved to cali? What was it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1985 View Post
How can I move to san fran?
Marry rich.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
I'm 25 y/o office worker by day, fine artist by night. I hate texas but I have lived here all my life. I always wanted to move to san fran. I am making under 20k a year in Texas. How can I move to san fran? Anyone from texas moved to cali? What was it like?
Hit I-10 or I-20 follow the sun as it is setting (the sun sets in the west) and it will take you to California... And you'll need a lot than 20M a year to live in San Francisco.

"I'll (you'll) be back"

Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 AM

80 posts, read 262,215 times
If I were in Texas I too would want to get out. I don't see how you could get a place in San Francisco at what you would be making unless you were to find some roommates. You might want to check out areas outside of San Francisco, as you would still be in the greatest state in the U.S.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
If I were in Texas I too would want to get out. I don't see how you could get a place in San Francisco at what you would be making unless you were to find some roommates. You might want to check out areas outside of San Francisco, as you would still be in the greatest state in the U.S.
Based on what? I think all of the states are pretty much great.. Each has it's own greatness...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 AM

37 posts, read 105,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Based on what? I think all of the states are pretty much great.. Each has it's own greatness...
Based on my experiences. Cali has mountains, water, snow, and sunshine. More culture and diversity. People seem more laid back there.

Texas is big, flat and boring. Living next to Baylor, the biggest Christian private school, is like living in conservative religious hell. Everything is based on the good ol' boys club. It's like George Bush's back yard.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 AM

39 posts, read 72,039 times
Quote:
Based on my experiences. Cali has mountains, water, snow, and sunshine. More culture and diversity. People seem more laid back there.

Texas is big, flat and boring. Living next to Baylor, the biggest Christian private school, is like living in conservative religious hell. Everything is based on the good ol' boys club. It's like George Bush's back yard.
I visit California a lot (leaving tomorrow AMOF) and part of me would like to live there, but certain realities set in, the two biggest being the ridiculous cost of living and the very ****ty job market at present. And contrary to popular opinion, the wages aren't always that much better. You can probably make more when the time is right in Texas.

I think the fact that you are in the Baylor area makes it bad. I'm based out of Houston and it's a few steps up from DFW.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Quote:
I understand your eagerness to leave rural Texas, but you can't afford it...not San Francisco anyways. You might be able to get a service job (waiter at a busy restaurant...Cheesecake Factory etc) in San Diego and live with room mates. It's also a great city, my second favorite in California.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Same question, second verse!!!!

Let's put it this way: 1-Cali is not in the USA, it is in Colombia so most of us have no idea what the cost of living is there, do you speak Spanish?

2-There are no jobs, can you spell NO JOBS as a basic office worker in SFO and if there were, no you can not live on $20,000. YOu would be good to live on 2 times that much.

3-how many times have you been to California?

4-What is a fine artist? Do you draw chalk figures on the sidewalk, do you preform, do you do paintings, what?

I am sorry to sound so cyical but I can't believe anyone would even ask if they can move to San Francison making under $20,000 a year. I don't want to even ask where in Texas you life..Most jobs in major Texas cities pay much better than that to good office workers. Oh, now I see you live near Baylor, have you thought about checking out Austin, Dallas or Houston?

Are you aware of how many people leave Ca to move to Texas yearly? Obviously you are not. Are you aware, if you were to move to the bay area you will be nowhere near snow. You can get more in Texas than ever in the bay area?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Get real, even with a room mate it would be hard to live on that income in SAn Francisco and how many times have you visited or lived in Texas, where?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland