U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM

277 posts, read 106,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecatoncheir View Post
Bay area people are some of the worst to interact with. They are aloof and haughty and completely fake (relative to other places). They think the Bay's the best place in the world, WITHOUT having been anywhere else. I mean this very literally. I try not to tell them it's cold, foggy, and generally dreary. When some lady in a mall saw me throw a water bottle down a regular garbage can she yelled at me: "why would you do that? have you no shame or decency? you should pick it up and recycle it. Sorry but I'm from around here and we care about the environment" and then she ranted on about how non Bay people have no concern for the environment. Talk about making assumptions and having a major superiority complex, I looked her straight in the eye told her to mind her own business and she walked away. I hate how people here act like they have something to be superior about when generally they look and behave like crap compared with people from Madison, New York (a lot behave like crap too but at least they know they do), Chicago, Dallas, Orange County, Seattle (places I've traveled to or lived in).

I grew up in Chicago and went to college in Orange County and have been to quite a few places in the country, I've never met a more disagreeable bunch (except people in Lantana, Florida). seriously, people here do not interact with you normally, and when they do, it's to voice their disapproval of some non-Bay characteristic that you displayed. For those of you who defend this area, please show some introspect: I'm very accepting of others in general but when I say I'm from Southern California and every time the response is either "oh I feel so sorry for you" or "how on earth can you live in a place like that?" or "ugh, my god, sorry, but I can't STAND southern California, no offense," it doesn't bode well for how out-of-staters judge you. "I hate the place you come from" is not how you greet a stranger...and you have the nerve to claim you're more "tolerant?"
Right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blofeld9999 View Post
Thankfully some big burly men from the East Coast are here to help us out. We've been wallowing in despair for centuries - it's a wonder we even have a highway system and don't rely on our mothers to carry us to our destinations as we suckle upon them sadly for sustenance.

Now that the strong masculine men are here to show us how to be successful and assertive, maybe we can start some successful Bay Area companies that would be the equivalent of those East Coast giants like Apple, Google, Facebook, Hewlett Packard and Intel. All we have over here are weed shops, meth cooking labs, and a bunch of scared hippies hiding in cardboard boxes because they're scared of the boogeyman.

Please tell me when the next seminar is on how to be a real man. I will be the first to sign up.

The Silicon Valley CANNOT be compared to the general Bay Area culture at all. That is a joke if you think you guys can lay any claims to Google or Facebook or Apple, all of which are multinational corporations. What you have is indeed some small shops and pretentious "haute couture" boutiques that Nashville does a thousand times better. What the rest of us are talking about are the stuck up "I'm from the Bay Area" natives who force their hippie ideas down our throats. It's not about real men, but real women too. Bay Area natives (the disagreeable ones, I know there are nice ones) both male and female are quite mindbogglingly blind to their own lack of respect for people in general. They talk about ideals and culture but display virtually none. I've NEVER had jogging people told me to get out of the way before in any other place except in the Bay Area, or seen SO MUCH implicit racism and segregation in a place touted as a tolerant place, or seen so many jaywalkers. Seriously, next time a person jaywalks or yells out "excuse me!" while running towards me, I'm gonna trip them over.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,009,861 times
Interesting rant. Are from the Island of Manhattan or the Long Island, BTW? I know tons of people, many close relatives, that would look at you like you are an idiot for saying, "that's so gay". I think it's your attitude. Is that direct enough for you. This is not a rant but the truth. Don't come to the West coast with a crappy attitude and expect San Franciscans to kiss your butt. Have a great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
I originally moved to SF from New York city for a job (they paid for the relocation and such) a couple months ago. And man, its been a major culture shift which is ok I suppose. But also very irritating in a number of ways to a life long east coaster like myself. Almost to the point of making normal social interaction difficult because of over-PC ness.

"Sarcasm" seems to be lost on most people here. They all look at me with blank stares when I make a sarcastic joke or comment.

Say "thats gay" your called out as a homophobe.

People give you stares of disaproval if your the type of person that looks like to have somewhere to go, commitments to make, likes to dress up for business etc. Just no sense of working to "get ahead". What gives? Do people here just prefer others to be as miserable, non-goal oriented, aim-less and broke as they are?

Overall the people in this area seem to lack alot of aspects of character and tend to be very introverted and quiet. I also see theres less of an energy here. Everything from major stores to mom and pop shops to restaurants closes early and people don't seem to care. Even nightclubs close early (WTF?).

Anyways I was just venting. Personally I think the weather is great here, but I like the east coast better in terms of the relationships, people and the overall attitude of most people. I just gel well with folks who are more honest about themselves and know how to stick up for themselves without complaining or crying. Those types are usually laughed out of New York City. Its very soft.

How can people live like this day and day out and not go crazy?

/rant

Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM

23 posts, read 31,062 times
Noticed this thread was a year old, but allow me to add my two cents.

I was born and raised in the bay area, between Sonoma and San Francisco counties (or the city, 'sco, whatever you call it), and I can tell you right now that the bay area is a hard one to typecast. Everyone is VERY different even if we all have alot in common (generally all leftist or left-leaning to one degree or another, all have a passion for environmentalism, small businesses etc.)

Example: the people who live in sonoma county who grow grapes/marijuana for a living, to the people in Hunters Point and the Mission. Two very different groups. yet deep down, you can get both places prefer to have their food organic, or at least have the local deli owners/service employees paid a fair wage.

Is it wrong if the Bay area is very left-wing? Not at all. and so what if it is? Why should we be apologetic to who we are? we (as in 95% of us) don't tolerate racism. we don't tolerate homophobia all that much (although it is different from one person to another on this subject), we don't tolerate people mock other cultures or religions for being different.

And so what?

We aren't telling anyone to behave that way. I'm just saying, if you come down here, expect people to be left-wing. What were you expecting, Kansas City?

as far as the "soft" factor goes...I don't know what San Franciscans anyone is talking to on here. the San Franciscans I know are a loud yet friendly bunch, and I don't see any reservedness here except amongst the elderly chinese population. Hell I lived in Minneapolis for 2 years and that was the worst two years of my life because people aren't very open (sort've like the Seattle Freeze) to new comers. won't see any of that in SF.

You can be a homosexual with aids, and have on the attached stigma with being black (alot of people hate blacks still in this country, it's disgusting), and you'll STILL be treated like a human being here. Sorry if we're not openminded to right-winger types, since they seem to be the most regressive school of thought.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM

23 posts, read 31,062 times
Quote:
Bay area people are some of the worst to interact with. They are aloof and haughty and completely fake (relative to other places).
What crowd are you hanging out with? I hang around the Mission and Potrero Hill. I never met more real people than there.

Quote:
They think the Bay's the best place in the world, WITHOUT having been anywhere else.
I've been other places, and I can tell you--it IS the best place in the world! as Goldilocks said: "not too hot, not too cold, but just right".

Quote:
I mean this very literally. I try not to tell them it's cold, foggy, and generally dreary.
We love our fog. that's not to say we don't like sunny days, but there is a reason why we use the name "fogtown" with pride. personally, I like the rain. adds atmosphere. Even so, what would you expect when you're surrounded on three sides by ocean.

Quote:
When some lady in a mall saw me throw a water bottle down a regular garbage can she yelled at me: "why would you do that? have you no shame or decency? you should pick it up and recycle it. Sorry but I'm from around here and we care about the environment"
Yeah I got that speech too...In Minneapolis, because I threw a bottle into a construction yard.

Quote:
I grew up in Chicago and went to college in Orange County and have been to quite a few places in the country, I've never met a more disagreeable bunch (except people in Lantana, Florida). seriously, people here do not interact with you normally, and when they do, it's to voice their disapproval of some non-Bay characteristic that you displayed.
"We grew here, you flew here" is a common thing to hear in Hawaii. yet no one ever complains about them wanting to protect their local lifestyle or culture. what's wrong with us not wanting to have a bunch of obnoxious Texas or LA-types wandering around?

Quote:
For those of you who defend this area, please show some introspect: I'm very accepting of others in general but when I say I'm from Southern California and every time the response is either "oh I feel so sorry for you" or "how on earth can you live in a place like that?" or "ugh, my god, sorry, but I can't STAND southern California, no offense," it doesn't bode well for how out-of-staters judge you.
Good! maybe if it keeps those annoying out-of-staters at bay, since they keep trying to turn OUR California into THEIR weak state ("Bay area is too liberal, it's too expensive, it's too multi-racial", blah blah blah)

Quote:
"I hate the place you come from" is not how you greet a stranger...and you have the nerve to claim you're more "tolerant?"
we are more tolerant. For example: if you're a black person, try walking into East LA and just hang out. or try walking into Pacific Palisades and just hang out.

Hell, just look at all your neighbors. LA is a very segregated city. parts of the Bay area are too, but we at least acknowledge it where we see it and try to change it when we can. LA seems to almost take pride in it's racial segregation ("East LA is like Mexico" I commonly hear from those fools from the Palisades)

Old 04-18-2011, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,459 times
"What crowd are you hanging out with? I hang around the Mission and Potrero Hill. I never met more real people than there."

I live in Sunset but I've been all over the Bay, having lived here for the last 5 years. I've lived all over the US. I gotta say if I have to compare, the kindest, most genuine people I've interacted with are people from Winconsin, Michigan, Indiana.....of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking.

"I've been other places, and I can tell you--it IS the best place in the world! as Goldilocks said: "not too hot, not too cold, but just right"."

Maybe you're used to it. It's way too cold for me. It's not even that it's way too cold, it's just that it's foggy/dreary MOST of the year that's annoying. Just right isn't 40s-50s 6 months out of the year. And it sure as heck isn't 50s and raining by Baker Beach but drive to Japan Town and it's warm and 80s within the same half hour. I do love my seasons to be distinct, but if I have to pick "just right," it's the beach cities in the O.C. low to high 70s all year round, every year.

"Yeah I got that speech too...In Minneapolis, because I threw a bottle into a construction yard."

Construction yard's bit different than a trash bin.

""We grew here, you flew here" is a common thing to hear in Hawaii. yet no one ever complains about them wanting to protect their local lifestyle or culture. what's wrong with us not wanting to have a bunch of obnoxious Texas or LA-types wandering around?"

What's wrong is we're your countrymen. We're all Americans and should be generally welcomed in every American city we go. What's grating isn't that you find a Texan obnoxious, it's that you believe you all are superior. By labeling us as "obnoxious LA-types" you're already dividing the crowd. And I seriously felt completely unwelcome here when I first came. I like Texans, no BS, straight with you, and very polite, people jogging on the street go around you and say "I'm sorry." SF joggers run straight up towards you and yell "excuse me!" multiple times and grimace when you turn around and say "oh, sorry," then you realize: wait, why am I the one apologizing?

"Good! maybe if it keeps those annoying out-of-staters at bay, since they keep trying to turn OUR California into THEIR weak state ("Bay area is too liberal, it's too expensive, it's too multi-racial", blah blah blah)"

It is not that is liberal. It's ANNOYINGLY so. I'm politically moderate. I just don't like touchy people. It's pretty expensive, and the fact that a $2500/month 2 room apartment would lack a dishwasher and proper venting/wallpaper/plumbing/look like crap doesn't help... Multiracial? Sure. Still pretty segregated. Maybe blacks are better off here, but not the blacks in the Tenderloin. Not Asians either. Even in a place like Dallas, the white people there are so much friendlier to Asian people. People here seem cold...and dress really really weird.

I honestly think the most tolerant people are from the Midwest. They're not Bible thumpers, but also not crazy. They tend to accept many viewpoints. LA isn't bad. Most blacks....well not the inner city ones obviously.....are so integrated they are practically white. Really, outside the city of LA, most places are great.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM

24,836 posts, read 31,240,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecatonchaire
What you have is indeed some small shops and pretentious "haute couture" boutiques that Nashville does a thousand times better.
Hahahahahaha...this almost sounds like trolling.

Quote:
The Silicon Valley CANNOT be compared to the general Bay Area culture at all. That is a joke if you think you guys can lay any claims to Google or Facebook or Apple, all of which are multinational corporations.
Silicon Valley is part of the Bay Area-its not a matter of opinion.

For all your criticisms of blanket generalizations, its highly ironic that you would then throw several blankets over the Bay Area yourself.

Everyone is disagreeable, everyone is fake, everyone is this, everyone is that.

Blah, Blah, Blah.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM

45 posts, read 47,910 times
Quote:
"What crowd are you hanging out with? I hang around the Mission and Potrero Hill. I never met more real people than there."

I live in Sunset but I've been all over the Bay, having lived here for the last 5 years. I've lived all over the US. I gotta say if I have to compare, the kindest, most genuine people I've interacted with are people from Winconsin, Michigan, Indiana.....of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking.
What you are typing doesn't make any sense. Most people in the Bay Area are actually from the "kindest and most genuine" areas, countries in Asia, Central America, South America and some even for Europe. More than 30% of Bay Area residents are foreign born. And many of them are from developing countries that sure provide plenty of reality check. (have you been to India ?) So in conclusion, your rant is umm...how do I say it...stupid ?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

88 posts, read 120,232 times
Being born and raised in the Bay Area, I'm going to fully agree with the posts supporting the Bay, but I do kinda understand the perspective from the opposing regions.

I traveled a lot through the military and have met people from all over the country and the world. I do notice that the people from the Bay Area can be seen as "soft" in the eyes of people from the South and East Coast. People from the Bay area are PC and don't tolerate racists and biggots too well.

So when a person from the West comes across a typical American blabbing and joking about race and gender, he/she will most likely want to ignore that person and automatically label them ignorant, instead of joking back. This could be a reason some outsideres feel people in SF are smug and non-friendly.

In terms of prodoctivity and work styles, I think it's like comparing oranges to apples. There are many thriving industries all over the U.S. that require the hard work, innovation, and intelligence of the local people. The unskilled from the East will be unskilled in the West and Vis Versa, and the highly skilled and hardworking in America will be the same anywhere.

In San Francisco, you are not judged the same way in most of America and the World. People will respect you if you have a good mind. While the East and South is more about gaining respect from talking, looking, and acting dominant (which often invloves hating against disadvantaged and minority groups). It may build thick skin and seem tough, but strength is measured differently here. It's not so much about looking hard, but it's about building the strongest muliticultural melting pot that lights the way for the entire world to follow.

So when I visit other places, I'm not concerned about acting hard. If my way of life seems soft, it doesn't bother me. Strong character is not based on what other people think of you, but it's about what you think of yourself.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM

4,414 posts, read 4,393,110 times
Perception is a matter of reality. The citys biggest events are the gay parade and love fest. Compare that to other cities where the biggest parade is st patties where a bunch of blue collar irish drunks fight each other for no reason.

When the cubs and sox play, its war. When the yanks and mets played in the world series there was no "its all good as long as its ny".

When the A's played the giants, you had half giants half a's hats for fans who couldnt have cared less either way.

Youre talking about a metro where people think 50 is "freezing" and 90 "sooo hot". What ever happened to the human spirit of adapting?

Sorry but SF just does not look like a tough city in any sense of the word.

It might as well be Seattle or San Jose.

I really don't see why it is such a big deal.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 04-19-2011 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Sf is not the south bronx, so stop trying already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland