Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's not really true, it gets cool and rainy in winter, just not quite as cool and rainy as the Bay Area. There is some seasonal variation overall.
eh people that move up here from sd for school tell me how they're "freezing" here and how much they like to see actual rain
plus if you saw the jets-chargers game this sunday.. u saw people in shorts and tank tops... sun bathing in the beach.. and not a cloud in sight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
eh people that move up here from sd for school tell me how they're "freezing" here and how much they like to see actual rain
plus if you saw the jets-chargers game this sunday.. u saw people in shorts and tank tops... sun bathing in the beach.. and not a cloud in sight
I grew up in the Bay Area but I will sometimes complain how cold it is when I come back and I too actually enjoy the rain up there too.

Actually it was cloudy that day and as soon as the game ended it started raining, which was very fitting. It was still only in the low 60's that day, not warm nor beach weather but some people will still wear shorts even when it's that cool. SD does have variation, just not as much as the Bay Area, especially in winter. They're climates are not that different overall.

If you look at the temperature range for the city of SF it's not that different at all from SD. Temps in winter range from a Jan high of 58 to a Sept high of 71, that's only a 13 degree difference in high temp between the coldest and warmest months. SD ranges from 66 in Jan to 78 in August, it's warmest month. That's only a 12 degree difference in high temps between winter and summer, pretty much the same as SF. Both have very mild climates it's just one tends to be 5-10 degrees warmer or cooler than the other.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM

what? no way
i was in sd last summer, the coast was really hot, it rarely gets that warm in sf ever.. at night too it was t-shirt weather, it always gets a little chilly in the city even in the middle of summer. we kept sayin that we wish it stayed a little mild up north as it did the days/nights we were in sd. i think sd has perfect summer weather, at least around the coast.. the more inland u get i hear it gets unbearably hot. coronado was very nice as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Average High

Average Precipitation

Average days of Precipitation > 0.1in

Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 PM

nice. more rain and a lot cooler in sf

Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
what? no way
i was in sd last summer, the coast was really hot, it rarely gets that warm in sf ever.. at night too it was t-shirt weather, it always gets a little chilly in the city even in the middle of summer. we kept sayin that we wish it stayed a little mild up north as it did the days/nights we were in sd. i think sd has perfect summer weather, at least around the coast.. the more inland u get i hear it gets unbearably hot. coronado was very nice as well.
It is definitely warmer than SF overall, I was just saying the seasonal temperature variation between winter and summer between the two cities is nearly identical the difference being that SD is about 5-10 degrees warmer on average. But you are correct about summer temps in SD, they don't swing as much between day and night as the Bay Area.

The graph kind of shows what I am talking about, it is cooler and rainier in SF overall but the temperature variation between the seasons is the pretty close to each other. SF is like a cooler, wetter version of SD.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Average High

Average Precipitation

Average days of Precipitation > 0.1in

Pretty much the end points of "Mediterranean." Coastal subtype. Sunset Zones 24 and 17.

The northern limit of Zone 17 is between SF and Coos Bay. The southern limit of Zone 24 is just south of the border.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
Regardless, at least here in East, you don't see many people moving to Northern California, Oregon, or Washington for the "mild winters", maybe other reasons, definitely not that, though. Tourists, young partiers, and snowbirds alike go to Florida, Southern California (not generally NoCal), South Texas, Arizona, Myrtle Beach (though it gets nippy there in winter, too), Gulf Coast, or Hawaii or Bahamas or Cancun or whatever.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Regardless, at least here in East, you don't see many people moving to Northern California, Oregon, or Washington for the "mild winters", maybe other reasons, definitely not that, though. Tourists, young partiers, and snowbirds alike go to Florida, Southern California (not generally NoCal), South Texas, Arizona, Myrtle Beach (though it gets nippy there in winter, too), Gulf Coast, or Hawaii or Bahamas or Cancun or whatever.

All of those southern places are great for vacations, but to live there....you gotta love eating meatloaf for dinner every night.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
It always amuses me when people speak as if San Diego has different weather than L.A. The only tiny difference is that there may be one or two instances during winter where a NW storm doesn't quite dip down to SD while it gets to L.A. , thus leading to L.A. getting a slight bit more rain.

The other differences people notice are due to geography of where one is in proximity to the coast. There is a much larger chunk of L.A. that is located quite a bit further from the coast than is the case in SD. Downtown L.A, Hollywood etc are all much further from the coast than any of the primary areas of San Diego. Coastal weather in L.A. is the same as coastal weather in SD. Weather changes traveling inland at the same rate in both cities. Due to job and/or where you choose to live, you're just more likely to be further from the coast in LA. than in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland