U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,757,579 times
Default Sigh..another gang rape in Richmond

Girl kidnapped off street in Richmond and raped (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/16/BA8G1BJBF1.DTL - broken link)

Quote:
A 15-year-old girl was raped by two men Friday night after the assailants and two other men forced her into a car at gunpoint in Richmond, the same city where a high school student was gang raped after leaving her homecoming dance in October, police said Saturday.

More Crime News

The girl attacked Friday was walking to her Richmond home at 5 p.m. when four men in a black Buick pulled up to her on Cutting Boulevard near Stege Avenue, police Sgt. Bisa French said.
The girl did not know the men and refused to answer as they called out to her several times, police Lt. Mark Gagan said.
One of the men then jumped from the car and forced her inside at gunpoint, the girl told police. They drove around for several hours before stopping at an unknown location, where two of the men sexually assaulted her, French said.
They released her near the bus turnaround at Contra Costa Community College, where a San Pablo police officer found her around midnight, Gagan said. She was taken to a hospital and received a sexual assault exam, then was released.
Police said the girl described the men as being in their 20s; one was African American with long dreadlocks and had the word "money" tattooed on the side of his neck, she said. No one has been arrested.
"When you have someone taken off the street at gunpoint and sexually assaulted, these suspects are looking at life in prison," Gagan said.
Gagan said police do not believe there is any link between Friday's attack and the Oct. 24 gang rape of a 16-year-old Richmond High School girl. In that case, six young men ages 15 to 21 have been charged with sexually assaulting the sophomore, who police say was repeatedly raped for two hours after leaving the homecoming dance while as many as 20 people watched.
The attack took place on the Richmond High campus, about a mile and a half northwest of where the girl reported being kidnapped Friday.
On Friday, Richmond police said they were looking for a seventh suspect in the Richmond High rape, 43-year-old John Crane Jr. Investigators said Crane raped the victim while she was unconscious. They have not been able to locate him, despite an intensive manhunt.
The rape led to much anger and soul-searching at Richmond High, where gatherings were held for the victim and counseling sessions were organized for other students.
Jessica Price, an English teacher at Richmond High who helped pull together vigils and healing sessions at the school, said she worried about "what the students would say when they come back (to school)," after they've heard about the latest rape.
"The worst thing for a student to feel," Price said, "is that they're not safe in their community."
E-mail Joe Garofoli at jgarofoli@sfchronicle.com

[LEFT]
Read more: Girl kidnapped off street in Richmond and raped (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/16/BA8G1BJBF1.DTL#ixzz0cqo9zOaw - broken link)

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 AM

8,052 posts, read 9,812,882 times
Coward rapists with guns, poor girl...

Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,852,646 times
What the heck is wrong with Richmond? They need to reallocate their budgets to increase the police presence at least in the short term to get the situation under control. Let the pot holes and public parks go, they have much more serious problems to deal with.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,347,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
What the heck is wrong with Richmond? They need to reallocate their budgets to increase the police presence at least in the short term to get the situation under control. Let the pot holes and public parks go, they have much more serious problems to deal with.
Seriously. I think a lot of cities can learn from San Jose. Have a huge police force to get those dummies off the streets, and any of the remaining dummies will think a million times before doing crimes.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Seriously. I think a lot of cities can learn from San Jose. Have a huge police force to get those dummies off the streets, and any of the remaining dummies will think a million times before doing crimes.
Agree, Richmond has been on a downward spiral for way too long!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,757,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
The problem is that there isn't much of a tax base living in Richmond anymore, so they don't even have pot holes and public parks anyways. Unlike Oakland, where there is enough of a tax base to pay for the needed services throughout the city, Richmond lacks that because almost the whole city is either low-income or lower-middle class (if at that). It's a cycle that is perpetuating itself, sadly.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,796,712 times
That almost happened to my wife 30 years ago on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley. Not sure it really matters what condition the city government is in.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 2,347,404 times
All I know is that dudes like that need to get a severe beat down. So disgusting.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
All I know is that dudes like that need to get a severe beat down. So disgusting.
What they need is a surgical procedure! Make them sing soprano!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,638,989 times
Quote:
True. But if Richmond had the money it would take to employ that many cops like San Jose does they probably wouldn't have as much need for so many of them in the first place. Kind of like how San Jose has way more than they actually need to control their criminal element. SJ was never a really high crime/high poverty city to begin with.

Quote:
Doubt I'll have very many people who'll agree with me on this, but I personally think that when they have situations like this where there has been a brutal rape and there is no doubt whatsoever who committed it, there should be "eye for an eye" type justice. I'd rather see our justice system call for the rapists to have done to them what was done to poor Abner Louima in NYC several years back, and I think it should be mandatory if they are guilty beyond any doubt (but only if there is no doubt as to their guilt). If not sodomizing them with a foreign object (since it would be tough to find someone to take that job), there should at least be a mandatory castration to ensure they can never do anything like that again. At the very least I think barbaric punishments of this type should be applied to known serial rapists and child molesters. I'm pretty sure if we did go old school in some of our punishments we would see at least some kind of a decrease in this disgusting brutality.

Last edited by jman650; 01-17-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland