Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
More US troops, UN peacekeepers expected for Haiti (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/comments/view?f=/n/a/2010/01/16/international/i001034S18.DTL&o=6 - broken link)
Been reading the comments on the above article. Seems some in SF are using Haiti to express their hatred of the USA and it's military. The Navy is there using helicopters to deliver water and medical aid, using their distilling plants to produce clean drinking water, and using their ship board operating rooms to perform surgeries on the wounded. With an estimate of over a hundred thousand wounded, they're not going to be able to get to everyone and have to triage the wounded; worst comes first. My wife's nephew is a nuclear machinist mate on the Carl Vinson and is one of the sailors who volunteered to go ashore to help the people. All ship board sailors are trained in emergency first aid and CPR. I also wasn't surprised by the Berkeley newspaper printing an article that blames America for the economic condition of Haiti.
I consider myself a moderate democrat, but seriously extreme left wing hippies are the only people worse than extreme right wing nut jobs. At least the right wing crazies have good intentions even though their logic is flawed while the left wing hippies think the answer to the world's problems are within their own bowel movements. I'm thankful that people like destroycrete and karl rove do not represent the majority of Americans.

I have quite a few friends from Haiti because I live half the year in South Florida. Most are flying into D.R. and driving into Haiti. The people there according to my friends are extremely greatful for the help by America and all the other countries involved. It's not just the U.N. and America btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

328 posts, read 306,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I consider myself a moderate democrat, but seriously extreme left wing hippies are the only people worse than extreme right wing nut jobs. At least the right wing crazies have good intentions even though their logic is flawed while the left wing hippies think the answer to the world's problems are within their own bowel movements. I'm thankful that people like destroycrete and karl rove do not represent the majority of Americans.

I have quite a few friends from Haiti because I live half the year in South Florida. Most are flying into D.R. and driving into Haiti. The people there according to my friends are extremely greatful for the help by America and all the other countries involved. It's not just the U.N. and America btw.
Both extreme's are bad. Extreme right wing only have good intentions for white males. Extreme left wing only for themselves and their wacked out attention whoring view points. They are both scum.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Your first post here shows your own hatred of our nation's military. If you bothered to read the replies to the article you'd see there was obvious hatred of our nation.
If you'd bother to live in SF or Berkeley you'd know how retarded that sounds.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Time and time again, our military has been the vehicle of much pain and destruction in the world-even more so in Latin America where Haiti is located.

We don't need to worship the military as a sign on nationalism. We who sustain their existence have every right to scream at the top of our lungs whenever we think something they do is not correct.

Also, no one is hating on the troops, but the decisions made by their leaders.

Its more important for us to make sure that they are used wisely and not thrown into places where they have no business being. Like Iraq.

Haiti at this time is one place where the deployment of troops is a good thing.
Couldn't have said it better.

Sailordave, there is a rather large history of U.S. intervention within Haiti, and not for the good. Just as Iran blames Britain for owning their economy for much of the late 19th and early-mid 20th century (in fact, Britain owned Iran's oil before it was even discovered), we also take responsibility, atleast historically, for some of the Haitian ills in modernity. Afterall, it was Woodrow Wilson who put the wheels in motion on our economic imperialism in Haiti (to the tune of that we owned more than 40% of their economy for more than three decades)

It isn't, however, a point meant to disgrace troops. (Why, by the way, does everyone think that a critique on military is an affront on troops? How does that even make sense?) Clearly, the troops have no say in their missions and any critique on military is moreso a critique on the government in charge. Please understand the distinction.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 AM

70 posts, read 178,163 times
As a Haitian American I am grateful for all the help my country gets in this catastrophic time, if sending a few thousand troops to Haiti to help then so be it, because honestly in times like these it is very easy for chaos to start brewing ex: Katrina....

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Without the United States military, just about every weak country in the world would be invaded by a stronger neighbor; of course the weak and stronger countries hate us equally. It is good for votes in those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland