Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,433 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm brand new on the forum, and have been browsing for a bit, looking at a few different cities. The reason I am posting now is because I'm in my final year of college, and I am looking at places to move. I have a fairly extensive list, but San Francisco is near the top.

I am a photographer, but am assuming that I will be waiting tables for a while before I am able to make a living income off of my photography. I am fine with having a roommate or two, and am interested in a good art scene and nightlife. I'm not necessarily looking for clubbing, but rather bars, live music venues, and other events/parties.

I mostly enjoy electronic music (dubstep, d&b, trip hop, grime), hip hop, and jungle/reggae/dancehall - but enjoy nearly any live music.

Also, I am a bit of a foodie.

Basically I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to live in SF off of a waiter's wage? And just as importantly, is it possible to enjoy one's self off of that wage easily in SF?

2. What are some good neighborhoods that are close to the city to look into finding an apartment in?

3. What's the music scene like (I've heard good things, but I'm wondering from a first person perspective)? Is there any chance of finding some of the music I had mentioned in SF?

4. What's the art scene like (again I've heard only good things, but am still interested in a first person perspective)?

5. How's the public transportation?

6. When I come out to visit, what are some local spots (food, bars, other) to check out?

7. Are there many good deli's around SF? Many good places to get nice cheeses, and other delicious foods?

Thanks so much for any help that you can give!

Best,
-EC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,919 times
It's generally hard to find an SF apartment for under $1000. I would suggust renting a room or finding a roommate.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times
Only possible with a roommate, since SF doesn't have apartments that "cheap" - even in the worst of neighborhoods! I'd suggest living in a vibrant neighborhood like the Mission, lower Haight, etc., and find a roommate or two to share expenses... not unusual in San Francisco, even for those of us over 30.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-26-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,745,829 times
Now to answer a few of your questions more specifically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theearlcarlson View Post
1. Is it possible to live in SF off of a waiter's wage? And just as importantly, is it possible to enjoy one's self off of that wage easily in SF?
You won't be eating out very often, but I know PLENTY of people who survive here on waiter-type salaries... so it can be done, despite what some will have you think.

Quote:
2. What are some good neighborhoods that are close to the city to look into finding an apartment in?
East Bay or Peninsula? In the former I'd suggest Berkeley, Emeryville and maybe parts of Oakland... on the Peninsula you'll find the same stuff in just about any town, so it all depends on your commute & where you can find something.

Quote:
5. How's the public transportation?
Not the best in comparison to other big cities, but it gets you where you need to go - SLOWLY at times. We have Muni bus system in SF, BART, CalTrain and a variety of non-SF bus systems... check 511.org for more info.

I'll get back you later on the other questions!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,722 times
I am also in my last year of college, considering moving to San Fran for law school. I live in Austin, TX and if I got into the law school here, I would without a doubt stay. Weather is usually great (minus the intense summer heat sometimes), price of living is decent (again depending on what part of the city) but you could find some really good prices a little further from downtown, but Austin is pretty small so "far" is nothing compared to bigger cities. From the sounds of what you are looking for I would seriously suggest you looking into Austin living. It is the live music capital of the nation, lots of young people, great bars, and even better food which is typically inexpensive...G'luck and if you move to Austin, you wont regret it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland